General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 20, 2019, 07:04:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

New pencil air grinder

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New pencil air grinder  (Read 2070 times)
sealdaddy
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 05:15:05 am »

I have one of those pencil grinders that I used to use for chasing my bronze castings, goes to a 140,000 RPM, a really nice tool to have as it is just about like using a pencil. Harbor Freight makes a cheaper version of the tool that only gets to about 60,000 RPM top speed but it is still and OK little tool for  the price. I paid $200 for my pencil grinder in 1967 and now HF is selling theirs for $25, it comes with an oiler and some other do dads too. I bought one and it works OK.
Excellent, friend~!
Today I'm supposed to get delivery of this one I got on ebay for only $18.19 with free shipping.
(If anyone else wants one, that looks like a pretty good deal)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENCIL-TYPE-AIR-MICRO-GRINDER-56000-RPM-TOOLS-/270851409438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1000861e

Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:34 am »

It's kind funny, they had them for under $10 about a month ago at a sidewalk sale, still not a bad little tool but nothing like my $200 one. Just remember that you don't need to apply heavy pressure to get these to do a lot of cutting, it is the speed of the tool that accomplishes the quick removal of material. Make sure you have some water to wash away the dust generated and keep the bur cool.
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:16 am »

It's kind funny, they had them for under $10 about a month ago at a sidewalk sale, still not a bad little tool but nothing like my $200 one. Just remember that you don't need to apply heavy pressure to get these to do a lot of cutting, it is the speed of the tool that accomplishes the quick removal of material. Make sure you have some water to wash away the dust generated and keep the bur cool.
I will, friend...Thanks
I'm the king of pressure...Ha  So, I'll keep that in mind.
Do you wear a mask or respirator?
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:31 am »

That pencil grinder looks just like the one I bought from HB years ago. It has served me well. I just wish they had a 3/32" collet available for it. Anyway, I just ordered one for a backup grinder. Thanks for posting the link..
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

sealdaddy
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:52 am »

That pencil grinder looks just like the one I bought from HB years ago. It has served me well. I just wish they had a 3/32" collet available for it. Anyway, I just ordered one for a backup grinder. Thanks for posting the link..
You're very welcome, friend.
But "know you", I'd have though you'd made a few of your own custom design =)
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:11 am »

Wish I still had access to a metal lathe and milling machine. Us old retired folks can't afford all of those fancy tools.  dunno dunno

My kingdom for a TIG welder.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

sealdaddy
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »

Wish I still had access to a metal lathe and milling machine. Us old retired folks can't afford all of those fancy tools.  dunno dunno

My kingdom for a TIG welder.
Yeah =)  Would a MIG welder do?
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 01:00:11 pm »

Got a small MIG welder. They're no good for really small work. Don't like MIG for welding aluminum or stainless either. Guess I got spoiled by all of the neat tools I had to play with before I retired. LOL. Company I worked for let us work on home projects on our own time, and opened up on weekends for employees to play.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

perronotto
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 03:30:57 am »

thank you

Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 07:20:46 am »

Got a small MIG welder. They're no good for really small work. Don't like MIG for welding aluminum or stainless either. Guess I got spoiled by all of the neat tools I had to play with before I retired. LOL. Company I worked for let us work on home projects on our own time, and opened up on weekends for employees to play.

I picked up a spool gun for my milllermatic 180.  I'm anxious to try it out.  My neighbor teaches welding/milling and lathe work at the local college.  He said when I was ready he would come over and give me some lessons.  I have a small lathe and the next on the agenda is a TIG machine.  If I live long enough I want a plasma cutter.   Want want want..... yippie
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:40 am »

My kingdom for a metal lathe and a milling machine. Have a wire feed welder. Also have a TIG torch, hoses and flow meter. Just need the machine to attach them to.
Report Spam   Logged

Don

wyrock

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:45 am »

There is nothing like a TIG welder with a foot pedal control. I did a lot of welding with a manual adjust amp dial welder then I got a chance to try one with a foot control. Man that was sweet and I would not weld with one after that if it did not have a foot control. It is so good that you can weld grease together. Ok, not grease lol but very precise especially on the low end doing delicate work.

I would love to try an air grinder but that is not in the cards right now. Just need a new flex shaft for my Dremel since I do not use a rotary much.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
Rockoteer

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 04:20:52 pm »

Just need a new flex shaft for my Dremel since I do not use a rotary much.
Jim

Jim, about a month ago my wife (bless her heart) came up to me at a yard sale and showed me a flex shaft for my dremel and said "Whats this for?"  I had walked right by it and was getting ready to leave. $1.00 yes $1.00
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

wyrock

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 10:19:01 pm »

I love a deal like that. Three years ago I bought four motors at a garage sale for 25 bucks. One only lasted about a year (I was overworking it) and one just gave up about two weeks ago. The other two were only 1/8th horse power so I tossed them. Still a bargain.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
Rockoteer

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 08:24:01 am »

I love a deal like that. Three years ago I bought four motors at a garage sale for 25 bucks. One only lasted about a year (I was overworking it) and one just gave up about two weeks ago. The other two were only 1/8th horse power so I tossed them. Still a bargain.
Jim

I think we might be hijacking this thread. shemademe
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website