General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 16, 2019, 01:00:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

"Lost" my commesso pietre dure

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lost" my commesso pietre dure  (Read 856 times)
pete
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:23:18 am »

Nearly finished
Thanks for having a look.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

guest787
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:38 am »

That took some serious skill.  Great work. yes

So what is the picture supposed to be?   dunno
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:06:54 am »

Looks interesting, needs a lot more precision than I could muster.

yes yippie
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

Pete:) I love it. I am lost too:)
How long did it take you to do this? And I know this is prolly stupid question, but are most of the slices the same size?
Wonderful creation:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »

I love the pastel like colors and the overall abstract design..

Beautiful ..  yes
Report Spam   Logged

pete
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »

I cut about 130 diamond shaped pieces all the same angle and size. There's a tolerance of less than 0.02mm between them all.
The two little people in the centre are about 15mm high and one shadow is purposely cut short.
The joining up of everything was a nightmare - very difficult and took over 4 days.
Overall the piece is 275mm wide, 250mm high, 6mm thick and has taken about 70 hours including design time. Others have taken over double that.
Materials were Chalcopyrite, Rhodonite, 2 x Rhyolites, 2x Gympeites, 3x Petrified woods, Goldstone, Agate and one I don't know.
Thankyou
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

It is a masterpiece and thanks for the information:) The people and their shadows are life like:)
Report Spam   Logged

pete
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:54:52 pm »

I know when I need to it explain it I haven't quite hit the mark and it's back to the drawing board. crackthewhip
Nevermind, that's OK. I'll try to explain it.
I was inspired by a photograph of two people walking across a very large courtyard in which the pattern of the courtyard gave the impression they were on the side of a large box. The picture was striking at first because of the very bold,simple colour design punctuated by the two small objects. After looking closely, one could understand that it was two people walking on what was in fact a very cleverly designed courtyard that gave the illusion of cubes when looking from above. What it would look like from the surface I don't know.
I took that idea and redesigned the courtyard to make it look more like giant cubic boxes spaced apart but sometimes with walls going up and around, sort of like a 3d maze. The people were placed in the centre to give the impression that they were on top of a box with possibly nowhere to go, hence 'Lost'. The first person with full shadow gives no clue as to the surface they are on. The second person with the chopped shadow could mean there is a giant gap where the shadow falls off the box. I had half intended to place a third person in such a position that the illusion would be broken and the observer would understand that they were not on boxes but on a flat plane but in the end I preferred to leave to observer in a state of unknowing or tension. I guess in that respect I did succeed.
This was the second intarsia using the box theme.
Thankyou
Report Spam   Logged
bgast1

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:42 am »

That is very very good. What a work of art.  yes
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:46 am »

Oh wow, at first I was like, 2 little people?  Then I clicked the photo which enlarged it~ that gives a whole new perspective on that piece!  Pretty amazing stuff there and very creative!  I like that!
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:43 am »

Okay, Pete, after looking at it for awhile I see what you are doing.  It's like one of those pictures with the 3D picture hidden it.  You have to look at it for awhile & in a certain way to see the picture.  The figure with the short shadow looks like he is facing the other figure.  The other figure looks like she is slightly bent over with hands folded in front of her facing the guy.  At least that is how I perceive it & I do see the walls & the cubic shape of them.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 07:03:43 am »

I know when I need to it explain it I haven't quite hit the mark and it's back to the drawing board. crackthewhip
Nevermind, that's OK. I'll try to explain it.
I was inspired by a photograph of two people walking across a very large courtyard in which the pattern of the courtyard gave the impression they were on the side of a large box. The picture was striking at first because of the very bold,simple colour design punctuated by the two small objects. After looking closely, one could understand that it was two people walking on what was in fact a very cleverly designed courtyard that gave the illusion of cubes when looking from above. What it would look like from the surface I don't know.
I took that idea and redesigned the courtyard to make it look more like giant cubic boxes spaced apart but sometimes with walls going up and around, sort of like a 3d maze. The people were placed in the centre to give the impression that they were on top of a box with possibly nowhere to go, hence 'Lost'. The first person with full shadow gives no clue as to the surface they are on. The second person with the chopped shadow could mean there is a giant gap where the shadow falls off the box. I had half intended to place a third person in such a position that the illusion would be broken and the observer would understand that they were not on boxes but on a flat plane but in the end I preferred to leave to observer in a state of unknowing or tension. I guess in that respect I did succeed.
This was the second intarsia using the box theme.
Thankyou

Hey - I was kinda right! I thought it was two people in a complex of buildings/paths that was intentionally escher (sp?) -esque

Anyway, that is one serious work of rock art! Dude!  yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

ScarlettoSara

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:07:20 am »

My interpretation was that two people were lost in the landscape of life and that is why I said I am lost too Pete:)
I would ponder about this piece for a while like you do a good painting. It makes me feel:)
Love the skills and the thought behind this piece of art:)
Report Spam   Logged

chad
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:30:47 am »

Absolutely love this kind of art.  These take a lot of time and precision.  I was blown away by some of the ones hanging on the walls at the Lizzadro, you did a great job on the abstract take of this form.  Good work and thanks for sharing!
Report Spam   Logged
pete
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »

Absolutely love this kind of art.  These take a lot of time and precision.  I was blown away by some of the ones hanging on the walls at the Lizzadro, you did a great job on the abstract take of this form.  Good work and thanks for sharing!
Thankyou Chad.
I notice one picture has been deleted so I'm glad you managed to view this piece before it was totally deleted.

I have other modern/abstract commesso compositions on my website that you may also enjoy http://www.lapidaryartist.com

I think you're very fortunate to have visited the Lizzadro and seen the works in real life. There are some very inspiring works of art there that I can only view from the internet (but at least that's something!).
Cheers
Pete
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website