Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 15, 2020, 12:51:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

10 Good Reasons To Use Hard Solder

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Good Reasons To Use Hard Solder  (Read 4440 times)
Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »

Carol:

Just got off of Ganoksin (if you haven't found that forum, check it out, it's great!) reading about casting Argentium, and soldering and fusing. The main problem with casting is that it needs to be done in a reducing atmosphere (special equipment or graphite or boric acid on top the metal, parted occasionally to see if the metal has melted). I suspect that people used to working with Sterling have made two major mistakes: one, they overheat the Argentium due to not being able to see the metal or heating it until it is the right color for Sterling) and two, they probably quench it like it was Sterling and make it crack.

I like the tarnish that develops on sterling, and when I don't want it I depletion gild it. I see the attraction of the Argentium, especially in the hardness aspect for making rings or bracelets that you don't want to distort. But the hardness would also make it more difficult to set stones, both in settings and bezels. They say that it isn't really case-hardened, just harder than sterling, but setting stones is difficult enough for me already.

A lady I know is interested in working with it, so I'll probably give it a try in the next few months and I'll let you guys know how I like it. Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience with it.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum