General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:43:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Pillow Block Bearing questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pillow Block Bearing questions  (Read 813 times)
spirit bear beads
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:52:47 pm »

OK I dont know if you can see them in the pictures.  This is my homemade arbor/saw I have been tinkering on now for a year.   Took it all apart, cleaned the shaft, replaced the SiC wheels with diamond and put it back together.   Now I am worried because the bearing at the Saw end howls something fierce.   It seems ummmm 'sloppy', is that the right word?  And hence the outermost convex wheel at the oppisite end has a 'bounce' to it.   I am thinking I need to replace all the bearings and perhaps add a third at the end????   

So I looked on ebay... OMG  pillow bearings are anywhere from $3.00 to $400!!!  Now I know you get what you pay for but can someone give me a quick "pillow block lesson" so I know what I am looking at?  Thanks

* 062811 011.JPG (163.07 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 37 times.)

* 062811 003.JPG (167.82 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 26 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »

Love those convex wheels !

I would bet that just replacing the bearing will do the trick without any need to add an extra..

Try your local bearing supply company.. Should be reasonable..
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

I think you can get a good one surplus for $35 or less. For lapidary, sealed is nice. Can't use self-adjusting for a saw, but I guess youcould on a cabbing arbor. I would replace both of them.

The trick is getting the mounting holes spaced where you need them. Otherwise, you need to drill new holes in whatever them mount on.

Is the shaft 1" or 3/4"?
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

catmandewe

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »

Look on your old bearings and see if you can find a number, such as PP202 or something along that line. The letters indicate how the bearing is sealed and what housing it uses, the numbers indicate size. If you find some numbers do a google search using that number and see what you come up with. You may be able to cross reference to other companies also. Not all numbers cross over correctly, so you may get the wrong one occasionally.
If there are no numbers then you need the inside measurement, the outside measurement, and the width measurement, you can then find a number and then you just need to decide how you want the bearing sealed.

If you have a local bearing store, just take an old one in. It should cost you about $8 to $45 each, depending on size and type of seal.
Ebay is cheaper if you know the number, but if not then a bearing store is the easiest.

Good luck....................Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:03:18 pm »

Use the "search" on the forum for "pillow block bearings" and there might be answers there.

We use them in New Mexico for the evaporative (swamp) cooler's squirrel cages.  These aren't expensive and I think you should add another for a smoother operation.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

bobby1

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »

grainger.com has a bunch of bearings.
So does mcmaster.com
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 10:01:48 am »

I use the following, of course you need the size etc., information as in Tony's answer.

http://bearingsdirect.com/store/index.php

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
spirit bear beads
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:46:59 am »

Gosh!  Thanks Guys!.....  so I need to do some homework, find numbers, measurements etc. 

Don't know about a local 'bearing' store, but I think we have a Graingers.   

Thank ya!
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »

Mia,
I replaced the bearings on my trim saw/grinder and they were quite similar.  They will probably have a number on them somewhere, like Tony was talking about.  I know you can find it.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

bobby1

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

If you measure the distance between the pillow block mounting holes, the distance from the center of the bore to the bottom of the pillow block base, the diameter of the bore and the width of the base of the pillow block this will be enough to match up to the dimensions in the Grainger's catalog. Then its just a matter of choosing the model and price.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:56 pm »

Mia, take the bearings over to Graingers, and they will match it up for you. There is also a bearing place behind Layman's furniture, near that KFC.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

catmandewe

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

That bearing in your picture is a light duty bearing, if you want it to be a little more solid go with a medium duty or heavy duty bearing, it will look different than the one you have, but you can get them to fit.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
spirit bear beads
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »

Mia, take the bearings over to Graingers, and they will match it up for you. There is also a bearing place behind Layman's furniture, near that KFC.

yes Sweet!  that will work... I can just take one off and go by on the way to work!  Thanks!!!  and Thank you everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
S/T
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »

Hello Mia,

If you have any trouble finding that bearing locally, I use a company called Enco for that sort of stuff. I believe that their website is use-enco.com .  They are a lot cheaper than Grainger or Mc masters.. and I have been dealing with them for many years with really good results! 

Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 08:21:34 pm »

And Thank you too... 

Such a great bunch! yes
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

tyr Fastenall also.  you may have one locally.. they can order also.
also Napa auto supply

roy
Report Spam   Logged
slabbercabber

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »

The bearings I see are light duty.  That would be OK on a diamond wheel machine, but when your silicon carbide wheels got out of balance, they quickly overwhelmed the load rating on the light bearings due to vibration.  Just replace the inboard bearings with similar inserts or more cheap pillow blocks.  BUT, on the end where you have an overhung load, you must have a heavier duty bearing.  The overhung load will cause many times the load to be applied.  The math is not difficult, but basically it is a function of the distance from the bearing times the radius of the load times the load.  That makes it a cubed function instead of a squared function for loads between bearings.  Yes, heavy duty bearings are expensive, but sometimes you need them.
Report Spam   Logged
Roger
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »

Graingers is the answer its where I have found all my bearing needs. If you need help let me know!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:48 am »

Those appear to be bronze bushings.  You really need a ball bearing pillow block.  I would follow Bobby's advice with the dimensions and locating something same sizes but heavier duty.  Something like  sealed/permanently lubricated bearing would be best.  You could take an old one to a bearing supply and have them find a replacement but prices are probably higher than some of the online sources.  Good bearings will last a long time so not a good place to try and save money.  Most people would not buy a pair of shoes for $4 but think a $4 bearing would be just the thing.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:59 am »

Those appear to be bronze bushings.  You really need a ball bearing pillow block.  I would follow Bobby's advice with the dimensions and locating something same sizes but heavier duty.  Something like  sealed/permanently lubricated bearing would be best.  You could take an old one to a bearing supply and have them find a replacement but prices are probably higher than some of the online sources.  Good bearings will last a long time so not a good place to try and save money.  Most people would not buy a pair of shoes for $4 but think a $4 bearing would be just the thing.
I most certainly would agree.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website