General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:25:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Pickle

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickle  (Read 2311 times)
will100
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »

PH Down and Sparex No 2 are the same chemical.

My reference book says for Sparex use one tablespoon to one quart water.

It needs heating to be effective.

If it does not work well  I would increase the amount  Ph Down a little till effective.

Best Regards,
Will
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 11:57:07 am »

Hi Will:

That is the information I needed, so thank you and I'll try it at that concentration first. Like you say I can always add more if needed. Already have the small crock pot to heat it with and I am just about ready to try my hand at silver smithing.

Thanks again for all the information.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

RoyKims
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »

for heat, i'd think my alcohol burner would work fine. it's set up for dop. to get it up the temp up use the microwave first.. how much do i need to and whats the cost???
Report Spam   Logged
will100
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 07:34:52 am »

The temperature should be hot but not boiling.

Boiling will cause acidic fumes.

I would not heat in a microwave that's used for food.

Ph down when added to water is very acidic.

Use in a protected way so its not to splashed in your eyes.

If you do, flush your eyes with water immediately.

I like a crock pot cause its stable.

Will
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 08:21:25 am »

Here's the small crock pot that I got to use as a pickle pot. I either bought it separately or as part of a set that came with 2 pots, 1 Large and 1 small.
It's small enough to set on the bench without taking up much room.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

mirkaba

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 08:50:07 am »

I got a new "little dipper" a while back and it cracked about the second time I used it. Might have been a fluke but I went to an inexpensive "Rival" brand with a removable pot and all is well.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
will100
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »

Looks like the same one I got but much nicer looking.

That will be great.

Good luck Silversmithing.

Will
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »

I buy mine like that a Goodwill for a couple of dollars and always have an extra one on hand. I have a full sized crockpot for big bulky items that need to be pickled also purchased at Goodwill for arouond three dollars.
Report Spam   Logged

metalartz

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:10 am »

We are all taught to solder then pickle.  Any book will tell you that.  Well you do not need to! 

Hot water will remove the flux,  which is all you need to do to continue working on your piece .   Pickle will remove the flux and clean your metal, which makes every thing look nice.  but now you have acid in the air to breath and acid to rust your tools.

You can just use a crockpot of hot water to remove the flux,  now you do not need to worry about splash back,  or acid in the air.  Yes I know your work is still looks dirty,  but wait maybe that's a good thing.  Remember solder does not like dirty metal,  so now if you clean your join area the solder like be more likely to stay in your join.  A fiberglass brush is great for this little cleaning job,  and now you know you have a clean join for the solder.

Then when you are done with all of the soldering,  pickle your piece in cold pickle that you are keeping in a closed container.  Yes it will take more time being cold, but you only have to wait once.

And as an added benefit when the crockpot gets left on all night, there is no ugly mess to deal with,  just add water and you are good to go.

Report Spam   Logged

David

skystone
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:24 am »

I use an electric hot plate & a rectangular pyrite bowl. That way if I'm doing a longer piece like a bracelet it'll fit. Small crock pots are too deep & not long enough for big pieces. I use Sparex it's not expensive. The bag I have was like a pound & cost about $9 & has lasted me over a year. You don't need to change it all the time. When the water starts getting low I just add some. It's usually because of evaporation because you want it just below boiling. Then if it doesn't seem to be doing the job, I just toss in another spoon full of the Sparex. Only time I really change it is after it gets so cruddy that I can't see the piece in the bottom to fish it out LOL. I do a lot of silver & sparex is very cost effective & works the best. I pickle in between every soldering step, keeps the old flux from building up & the fire scale to a min.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 01:38:55 pm »

I use an electric hot plate & a rectangular pyrite bowl. That way if I'm doing a longer piece like a bracelet it'll fit. Small crock pots are too deep & not long enough for big pieces. I use Sparex it's not expensive. The bag I have was like a pound & cost about $9 & has lasted me over a year. You don't need to change it all the time. When the water starts getting low I just add some. It's usually because of evaporation because you want it just below boiling. Then if it doesn't seem to be doing the job, I just toss in another spoon full of the Sparex. Only time I really change it is after it gets so cruddy that I can't see the piece in the bottom to fish it out LOL. I do a lot of silver & sparex is very cost effective & works the best. I pickle in between every soldering step, keeps the old flux from building up & the fire scale to a min.
Mike

I totally agree with Mike......except I use a 3-1/2qt crock pot with an all plastic strainer to put the soldered pieces in so I don't have to search for them at the bottom of the pot.  I got the strainer at K-Mart - it is a collapsible type with the mesh on the bottom only.  Works great...................
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

RoyKims
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »

i kept acid in two jars that i thought were airtight anly to find out later they were not. i noticed tools rusting for no reason and it was the acid causing it.. how do you stop this???

roy
Report Spam   Logged
skystone
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »

I've never had that problem with sparex. I've had an open bowl of it in my studio for years & never had a rust problem. I have tools that I use when soldering right near the bowl of pickle & the only rust on them is from the heat when manipulating pieces under the torch. The fumes from blacking solution will rust stuff if you don't keep it tightly sealed.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
tetonartgallery

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:39 am »

I use rio's pickle and a mr. coffee - $1 at goodwill
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks for looking - Gerard
Click here to see My Web Site
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

FYI
I just bought a mini crockpot (20z) at Big Lots for $6.00.  I found it in the houseware section.

Nancie
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website