General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 15, 2019, 10:31:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Fishy busines 3D practice by a beginner (pics reloaded)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishy busines 3D practice by a beginner (pics reloaded)  (Read 2007 times)
asianfire

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 03:57:07 pm »

Since you are having so much trouble deciding you must like them both.  So how about a compromise, looking at it from 45 degrees - neither top nor front, but average.  ????

Yikes,..... possible now I got even more to choose from. hide chuckle

Kurt, what do you do to keep the rock and bits lubricated while you cut?

In the moment, nothing more than regular tips in water. Later when cleaning up with more expensive bits, I usually tip the bits in olive oil on regular base (it's more about keeping the surface clean than avoiding overheating).
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
asianfire

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 04:57:00 am »

Finally, I can see the dolphin without markers, from here on its going to be fun.

Tools till here: same as posted before, plus 230 Grid paper to see where the deep (miss-) cuts are.

Next: Fine -tune the shape, add some features, sand all the way, apply features and texture and finish up.

Thanks for looking and have a great day.
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:43 am »

Yes Flipper is coming alive right before our very eyes.
Thank you Kurt for sharing of your talent:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »

Kurt, that's beginning to shape up nicely!  You're doing a great job.  Can't wait to see your next steps.   dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
thewrightthings
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »

Kurt, those carvings are looking wonderful.  You do have quite a knack for that sort of thing. 
Am looking forward to the next photos.
Report Spam   Logged
skystone
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »

Looking good Kurt. Doing things in a flattened 3d can be challenging. Like the fins that you would think of sticking out quite a bit. But the constraints of the amount of material to work with. Forces a flattened foreshortening. Just keep turning & looking & it'll all come together. Little by little don't get too ambitios on the cuts. You can always deepen a cut. But once it's too deep it's there for always. Work from your highest points back in the releaf.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:47 am »

Shaping turned out a little more complicated than anticipated and is quite directional.

Since the last post, the dolphin had to loose at least twenty pounds from his under-belly, then the tail-fin needed to be lifted from the background and the torsal fin needed to become more curved and lifted from the leaf in the back-ground.

At the same time, the leaf had to be thinned out (vertically) to give it a different color appearance and thinned (horizontally) to make the fins stand out more.

Did not sand the leaf to give it further difference appearance.

Other than that, sanding paper used to get to the state in the picture: up to 600 Grid.

Shaping tools are in the attached picture. Sorry no order, as I took everything and anything from the box as I saw fit at the time.

Next Polishing it up in the next post.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:19:37 am »

Doing things in a flattened 3d can be challenging. Like the fins that you would think of sticking out quite a bit. But the constraints of the amount of material to work with. Forces a flattened foreshortening. Just keep turning & looking & it'll all come together. Little by little don't get too ambitious on the cuts. You can always deepen a cut. But once it's too deep it's there for always. Work from your highest points back in the releaf.Mike

You are certainly right on that one. Experience, I suppose ??  saved4

Thats one of the reasons that I have not yet touched the fish. The fin at the back is scary. I can not yet imagine how to cut it to make it stand out. I have decided to use the fish as an unfinished example for my school-board in the meantime. By the time I take it down, I hope to be ready for it.

I had a day off today, I took my time, I re-polished the Dolphin 7 times, as every time I thought I'm done, I found something to adjust.  roar
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:22 am »

After several rounds (7) of shaping polishing and reshaping again, that's it for the time being.

While I think its not too bad for a start, it would not hold up to close scrutiny yet.
I did not put an eye or mouth, as I feel that that would create even more directionality. Lets call it "less is more" for this case. I'm still wondering about roughening the leaf to get more contrast. But this will have to wait as this piece will be included in the school-board too tomorrow.

Polishing was done the usual way:
Sanding-paper to 2000 grid
The picture shows tools for "rough" Silicone paste on top (Bamboo barbeque stick for tight spaces is missing) 
The lower row shows the ones used for the 50K diamond paste followed by leather and finally for cleaning up.
As I do not know the names for the silicone powders I included an inset showing the packages (maybe the numbers give you the info that I don't have).

Till here for now, until the next time when I will try to go into more detail suitable for closeups (turns, twists and other optical illusions that I come along).

Baby-steps: the journey has but started, hope to never see the end of it,...........

Thanks for bearing with me and your support, on this rather mundane journey thus far........

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

AVoss
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:37 am »

very cool! Ambitious too! I like the idea of seeing the nearest  dolphin from the top and the one behind it from the side. A twisting top view of a dolphin would be hard for me personally without some sort of model. With some animal carvings Ive done Ive actually found VRML models online. In fact I just found a dolphin (http://www.ibiblio.org/e-notes/VRML/blaxxun/dolphin.wrl) and had to download and install the newest Cosmo player to view the model in firefox or IE (http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/cosmo/CosmoPlayer.zip). Then you can pose it how you want to see it, maybe do a screen capture and paste into a graphics application.....er..

Youre probably doing fine just like you are :)

Somehow I missed what kind of materials youre using for these.

Theyre gonna be great!
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 07:11:14 am »

Kurt, Flipper is wonderful. I can see him swimming thru the seaweed in my mind's eyes.
This is not a basic carving project. You have to have some natural talent to even get this far.
Even when I try to cut out a simple flat bird it dont look like a bird:)
I am really enjoying your skills and your journey:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
asianfire

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:39 am »

Somehow I missed what kind of materials youre using for these.

Sorry about that, I never mentioned that the Dolphin is Amethyst Sage and the fish is Polka Dot.

BTW: Cool application, will have to try that in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

S/T
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 07:25:13 am »

Shaping turned out a little more complicated than anticipated and is quite directional.

Since the last post, the dolphin had to loose at least twenty pounds from his under-belly, then the tail-fin needed to be lifted from the background and the torsal fin needed to become more curved

Turned out good! yes In your description above, you sound like a "plastic-surgeon" from Beverly hills..... chuckle

Now, I got to start doing that too.... I can stand to loose 20 or more pounds from my under-belly! saved2
Report Spam   Logged
Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:21 am »

Kurt, I think it looks great!  Don't even know if you really need to put an eye and mouth on it, as you can tell what it is by the shape.  You are really getting good at this!  Bravo!   yippie
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
asianfire

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:56 am »

Thanks everyone,  yippie

The fun part is that, I can try new things without really having to succeed.
So, when something turns out presentable, it's pure "steroids" to make it the start of a new attempt.

Even when I try to cut out a simple flat bird it dont look like a bird:)
I am really enjoying your skills and your journey:)

Thank you. Just keep trying and stay positive about any outcome. Results will come!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website