General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 20, 2019, 07:24:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Fishy busines 3D practice by a beginner (pics reloaded)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishy busines 3D practice by a beginner (pics reloaded)  (Read 1974 times)
asianfire

« on: May 15, 2011, 02:57:53 am »

Finally I will make the jump into the cold water and instead of just carving some clueless lines and hoping that is somehow looks reasonable, I will attempt some simple 3D work on a chosen design.

I have been thinking about it for ages, it seems, but always put it off for some reason.

So this weekend, I decided to finally get started choosing designs (4 of them) and then choose the two simpler ones for preforms.

Now in order to ensue that I'm not giving up too quickly dunno (I reallllly do not like loosing chuckle), I thought the best motivator would be by posting the stages as I get along.

For better or worse, some info might be useful for other aspirants too.

The D-Fish is 45mm (tail to front fin) 38mm tall 27mm wide

The Dolpin is 42mm tall and 33mm wide at max extend

The tools used so far are in order from bottoms up. The main-tool that I found most useful (just found that in the market a few days ago) is the double-sided bit (hence magnification). Its way more expensive than the regular ones, but well worth it. One change for next time though; it needs a shorter pin, to make it more stable (its quite heavy, so it does put quite some strain on the pin).

As always, at any stage as I get along, I gladly invite anyone to comment and/or clarify as to what could be improved.

Thanks for looking, and any help you can render,......

Now, the hard part begins, getting depth.....  thinking13

Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:26:48 am »

I am loving this thread already. Love the designs, the fish looks like a Koi.
And the stones you  chose to make them out of is perfect.
Thanks for showing the carving tools too:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
nanabella
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:34:41 am »

Fantastic.  I have been thinking about carving myself, but still cold feet.  Where did you get all your disks, especially the one you magnified?  I will be looking forward to your next post.
Good Luck!
Annette
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:07:01 am »

yes Alright............this is going to be a wonderful thread........I'm hoping that this turns into somewhat of a tutorial with step-by-step additions as you go along................ ura
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

S/T
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:36:15 am »

Oh yes!!!  yes  That dolphin one is going to come out nice!!! I can see it already!!!
Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

You are providing a great opportunity for all of us, who aspire to carve stones, to learn from someone who has created some amazing work.  Can't wait to see those pieces develop.  Thanks for the tutorials.
Report Spam   Logged
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

Hey Kurt, the green ones are stone bits right?  I must need more coffee because my eyes want me to think it might be craytek...
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:18:14 pm »

Hey Kurt, the green ones are stone bits right?  I must need more coffee because my eyes want me to think it might be craytek...

Number one and 3 (top to bottom) are grinding wheels. Some sort of Silica compounded. As you know I buy by sight as there is hardly ever someone around to speak to me, so I can not give you a proper name for  them. I would estimate that number one is around 150 to two hundred grid, and number three is below one hundred (80 maybe?).
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »

Number one and 3 (top to bottom) are grinding wheels. Some sort of Silica compounded. As you know I buy by sight as there is hardly ever someone around to speak to me, so I can not give you a proper name for  them. I would estimate that number one is around 150 to two hundred grid, and number three is below one hundred (80 maybe?).

Thanks~ I know it as "the green ones" if that makes you feel any better...  I have green, pink and white, they vary by coarseness and that's all I know.  lol
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:34:33 am »

I'm hoping that this turns into somewhat of a tutorial with step-by-step additions as you go along

Steve that's the idea for better or worse. So everyone can see; what not to do :)  toofunny11

But it will take a while as it is the end of the school-year for me, by the end of this month. So there is a lot of paperwork, corrections and evaluations. Even the "Agate Board" for the school still awaits creation. I'm thinking of possibly getting it ready for next month as the kids will still be there for another month.

In any case, I promised myself to do an hour a day.  walker

First order of business is lifting the Dolphin and some features of the fish from the background. I want the eyes and the mouth of the fish to stand out and not just be outlined so I got to remove material around it plus giving the fins some sort of movement is still something that I ponder about. I can imagine how it should look like in different scenarios, but it will be different for every fin.

The one thing that I can not yet imagine is as to how I should pose the dolphin; "Side view" or "top view".
The marked spot could be an eye or a blowhole. The top fin would need minimal adjustment, but the side-fin would be very different.

help
What do you all think is better: the Dolphin turning in front of the seaweed or swimming across? help
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:10 am »

Good morning everyone,

Now is the stage where I would like to throw the towel (that's the reason for this thread).  saved2
Having announced the project, its hard to pull out. chuckle

First you outline the shape you want, then you cut the form only to completely take it apart again.
This is the stage where nothing seems really right or close to what one has on mind.

But normally its exactly from here where things are going to improve.

Have removed material to expose areas that have to stand out and tried to give preliminary high and low points. Just need to keep on mind Mikes words "you can not replace something that you removed".

Still would like to get some votes/oppinions for the dolphins position: Do you think it would look better seeing the dolphin from the side or from top? Once this is decided, he will take shape quickly
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:14:00 am »

The design is in your head and heart. You go with what they are telling you.
I am loving this. I love seeing these pieces start to develop into some wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
S/T
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:44:30 am »

I would stay with the game-plan and do it like in the original drawing.  I think that it will turn out great!!! yes
Report Spam   Logged
gregorgr8

There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:38:56 am »

Since you are having so much trouble deciding you must like them both.  So how about a compromise, looking at it from 45 degrees - neither top nor front, but average.  ????
Report Spam   Logged

Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:10 am »

They both are already very cool looking ALREADY!!!

Kurt, what do you do to keep the rock and bits lubricated while you cut?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website