General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 24, 2019, 11:48:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Walmart Mineral Oil for Saws?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart Mineral Oil for Saws?  (Read 8358 times)
legendarygranite

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:14 pm »

I would imagine they would have specs/info on all of there products. I never asked. I will look into it tomorrow and let you know. I have 10 gallons comming tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Alvin

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:46 pm »

had 55 gal barrel delivered to my house. just used two planks to roll it off the truck. cost of white mineral oil and delivery $13 per gal.
I want the food grade thickness 70. tried 90 but too hard to recycle through the paper bag. white mineral oil has a low flash point, not poisonous.
does not stain. no problem handling slabs with bare hands. other oils can cause  health problems and fires.
Report Spam   Logged

legendarygranite

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »

When I ask the united oil rep about the mineral oil should I be asking for weight and flash point? Is there any other ? I should inquire about.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

Assuming good techinica/food grade an oderless, the best questions would be viscosity (in either SUS or ISO or Saybolt or Kinematic@40C ...) and the flash point in either F or C.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

39don

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:30 am »

Assuming good techinica/food grade an oderless, the best questions would be viscosity (in either SUS or ISO or Saybolt or Kinematic@40C ...) and the flash point in either F or C.

I've been getting these specs for light mineral oil:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 degree C......... 14/18
Flash Point ........................................... 170 C min

Also read that mineral oil is a by product of gasoline and it cost the refineries more to dispose of it than to sell it. Question is why don't they just give us some for our saws and charge us shipping only?

Don
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »

yes, they should give it to us!!

sounds like you are getting something like Deakeol 9 on this chart (http://www.hollandchemicals.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/White_Oil_Specifications_and_Applications_uid62320091115061.pdf )

This is also another good chart for seeing how different viscosity measures compare.

SInce this company is just a few states north, I asked them how much for 1-gal and 5-gal of theri Drakeol 7 and 5. It seems that the lighter the oil, the lower the flashpoint. I would hate to get oil that needs cleaning less often, but which burns me to death. I will try to stick to flashpoints above 300 F.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

legendarygranite

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

So this is what I came up with for flash point 419 f
Kinematic is 40 c @ 23.5

How does my oil compare to others? I'm  thinking a higher flash point is good but have no Idea what Kinematic viscosity is or how it pertains to cutting rocks.
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

Dunno bout none of that stuff, but the animal grade mineral oil from the vet supply store is working fine!    ura
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

So this is what I came up with for flash point 419 f
Kinematic is 40 c @ 23.5

How does my oil compare to others? I'm  thinking a higher flash point is good but have no Idea what Kinematic viscosity is or how it pertains to cutting rocks.

If you look down the 2nd viscosity column on the chart I linked to, you see that is about SUS 120, or comparable to their Drakeol 13. It is a little thick compared to SUS 70. I think it would qualify as a medium mineral instead of a light - or maybe right between the two.

The reason thinner is better (as long as flash point does not get too low) is because particulates will settle out more quickly and you get less thick rock pudding. Possibly have to change oil less often. Oil might filter faster. Likely have less grit dragged back into the cut by dirty oil ... etc. But other factors like blade quality, kerf wider than core, depth of oil in the tank, whether the oil is pumped onto the blade, and others, might make more difference than getting a slightly lower viscosity.

I'm not going to throw out my STE-70, but I lose a little each time I clean and filter, and if the price is right, I will replace with a lower viscosity if I can get it.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website