General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 24, 2019, 12:22:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Walmart Mineral Oil for Saws?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart Mineral Oil for Saws?  (Read 8358 times)
Mary Ann
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:22:43 am »

I've decided to switch to mineral oil for my big saw and wondered if anyone has used Walmart mineral oil? You have to buy it by the pint and it runs about $12/gallon. It is the cheapest I can find that I can transport by myself. I was told that there is a local (within an hour's drive) that sells a food grade mineral oil by Chevron, but you have to buy a 55 gallon drum. Unless I put a motor, tires, and steering wheel on it, I'm not getting it home by myself!

I've bought about 2 gallons of it (you should've seen the looks I got <<<snort>>>>).

I've also heard that you can get some at a feed store (sold as horse laxative), but haven't looked at our local place.
Report Spam   Logged

S/T
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:51 am »

Hello Mary Ann,

If you look in your local "Yellow-Pages" under Oils-Lubricating you may find a supplier that sell it in 5 gal buckets, most of them here in Salt Lake do.  That's how I buy mine.  Many of these companies call themselves "Petroleum company" and they deal in many other forms of oil as well.
  A couple of phone calls may help you save a buck or two.....
Report Spam   Logged
Mary Ann
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:52:04 am »

Thanks! I just tried that and found a possible source. However, they stumped me by asking what viscosity. They said it comes in a range of 20-150??? A rock club I visited uses mineral oil and it seemed quite light. My guess is I might want it in the lower viscosity range?
Report Spam   Logged
Mary Ann
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:14 am »

The supplier just called me back, he had done some investigating for me. He recommended Schaeffer food grade oil, viscosity of 32. He said it is a high-grade oil. He said he also had some non-food grade (Chevron rock oil and Superla) that is not as expensive. The Schaeffer food grade is $92.71 for 5 gallons.  omg
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:02 am »

Lighter viscosity is better. I am unsure what scale your viscosity numbers are in. there are 3 or more scales in use. The one I know is SUS, and a "light" mineral oil is between 65-75 SUS. For example, water has a viscosity of 31 SUS at room temperature, whereas vegetable oil has a viscosity of 200 SUS at room temperature I have been buying STE-70 mail order from Texas, but it is $19 plus shipping, and this time around, I got the light mineral oil from Farm Tractor Supply for $15. It seems close to SUS 70.

The other characteristic is flash point, where higher is better. STE-70 is about 388 deg-F.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Mary Ann
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:29 am »

Thanks Daniel,
I have no idea what the scale is, I'll have to ask when I go there. The guy was really  nice, trying to save me money with the non-food grade, but he said there was an odor. I want to go to odorless. Does what you use have an odor?

The oil he suggested for food grade is used in the valley (by wineries) for high speed machinery.
Report Spam   Logged
zirconx

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:09 am »

Covington sells rock hound oil for $85/5 gallon bucket.  Am trying it in our 14" saw on brazilian.  Seems to be going well.  Bev
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52:05 am »

The supplier just called me back, he had done some investigating for me. He recommended Schaeffer food grade oil, viscosity of 32. He said it is a high-grade oil. He said he also had some non-food grade (Chevron rock oil and Superla) that is not as expensive. The Schaeffer food grade is $92.71 for 5 gallons.  omg

Our local Schaeffer dealer quoted me $119 per 5 gals.    Double omg omg

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
tgood1969
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:57:58 am »

I use agricultural grade light mineral oil.  It is available at just about any livestock supplier as it is used for intestinal problems in horses and cattle.  It works well, is non-toxic and does not create too much vapor.  I pay between 10 and $12 per gallon depending on the store.

Report Spam   Logged
Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »

Don't know if this will help or not, but here's a link I found while looking around for information on the Borax thread yesterday.  Also has some info on oil in the comments.

http://www.1rockhound.com/new-lapidary-saw-lortone-ts-10/
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
Mary Ann
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »

Thanks everyone! I'm going to swing by our farm supply while I'm out, see what they'e got and what price, (and if it smells!, the oil, not the ranch supply, lol)

Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:18:21 pm »

Mary Ann, fwiw...I use hydraulic oil from the 'Carquest' auto parts store.  $35 a gal.  Does not smell...just don't know about long term effects on your skin although I wear gloves most of the time.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

deb193

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 02:19:55 pm »

The Farm Tractor Supply oil has a faint alcohol smell because of some trace impurities - not really an odor. It it more like technical grade, which is one step below food grade. The STE-70 is avalable in either technicalor food grade, and the only difference is some of the conditions of botteling. No odor.

I found this chart:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

According to this ISO 32 (Schaffer food grade) is about SUS 175, which is much thicker than you want. Rock particles will not drop out so fast. You would need ISO 12 to be about SUS 70. But be careful because fo SUS people have to say which temperture it is at.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Rocksnot
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

From another source:  "white mineral oil that is USP grade (US Pharmacopeia) or a food grade oil. The only difference between a USP grade white oil, and a food grade is the requirement for food grade to be packaged in a clean room. They both come out of the same tank. If you have a large bakery near you, that could be a good source for small quantities of these oils. The bakeries use them as a dough divider oil, and to oil the baking pans. Duoprime White Mineral Oil 70, is a 70 SUS odor free oil with a flash point of 330║ F available from Vanguard Distributing. Exxon markets white mineral oils as Marcol 52, and Marcol 82. The numbers indicate the SUS viscosity. They also have a 330║ F flash point. There are many more white mineral oils available then just these two. All of the white mineral oils clean off slabs easily as well as from your hands."  Thanks woody

and...

Oil and grease approval Classifications

The following NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) H-1 and H-2 classifications are the official nomenclature for lubricants federally approved for use in inspected food plants.
Type class

H-1 Classification lubricants are manufactured with ingredients that comply with FDA regulation 21. CFR 178.3570 for lubricants with incidental contact with the edible product.

H-2 Classification lubricants may be used as a lubricant or anti-rust agent on equipment in which there is no possibility of the lubricated part contacting the edible product.
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

I did find a couple places on the internet...
Had shipping calculate to me (same zip code) for comparison:

Mineral Oil 5 Gallon Pail  -  Price: $ 76.90  (UPS groung $33.47 to me @ Lincoln, NE)
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Mineral_Oil-Mineral_Oil_5_Gallons.html

Mineral Oil 5 Gallon Pail  -  Price: $ 64.95   (UPS groung $28.20 to me @ Lincoln, NE)
http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/product/ADMO1LB/Mineral-Oil-1-pound-to-5-gallon-pricing.html

There was a site that had "free" shipping and 5 gal to 55 gal but more than 2x the price - so not a great deal.
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »

I called my local and longtime Vet supply store.  They have it in one gallon jugs for $14.95 a gallon.  I told them to have me 5 gallons on the next stock truck.. no extra for shipping.   hatsoff
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:43 pm »

I called my local and longtime Vet supply store.  They have it in one gallon jugs for $14.95 a gallon.  I told them to have me 5 gallons on the next stock truck.. no extra for shipping. 

Thats a really good price Mia, let us know how it works and smells and feels and cuts.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Mary Ann
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 09:06:32 am »

All great information everyone, thanks! Over the weekend I visited a rock club tailgate sale about 1 1/2 hours away. They used mineral oil in their 16". When I first saw it I thought it was water it was so light. I'm going to email and find out what type they use. The person running the shop that day wasn't sure.

I stopped by the farm supply and was told that they only carry mineral oil during the fair (in August) so I guess not much call for it here. Too bad it isn't used to grow grapes or it would be everywhere! The person working that day couldn't tell me what the price was.

I've got a few leads thanks to you folks, I'll let you know what I end up getting and how it works. I'll be glad to get rid of the smell, but more importantly what I'm using now (Pella) irritates my throat something fierce. It isn't the rock dust or mist, just the stuff right out of the bucket irritates my throat in about a minute of breathing it.
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:29 am »

Too bad it isn't used to grow grapes or it would be everywhere! 

When I was researching it I noticed that it was used in wineries?  You have any wineries to go with those grapes?  Probably more expensive though...
Report Spam   Logged
Mary Ann
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:37 am »

Yeah, they use it for their equipment. That is the Schaeffer food grade I mentioned that Daniel said would be too thick.

Too bad it isn't used to grow grapes or it would be everywhere! 

When I was researching it I noticed that it was used in wineries?  You have any wineries to go with those grapes?  Probably more expensive though...
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »

That Maracol 52 would be the lightest mineral oil I have heard of.

I can't find anywhere to buy it though. Anybody know?
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Rocksnot
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

That Maracol 52 would be the lightest mineral oil I have heard of.

I can't find anywhere to buy it though. Anybody know?

seeing - "FDA Approved,Medicinal grade white oil.Manufactured to exceed the purity requirements of the Pharmacopoeias"  I'll bet this is expensive.  Only found one site that has 'buy me' options (it's in the UK)...
http://www.lubricantsupplies.co.uk/esso-marcol-52-x-175-kgs.html

Esso Marcol 52 x 175 kgs  (my metric isn't great but i bet that is a 50 gal barrel)
ú554.40  (554.40  GBP = 918.03  USD)

so about 1000 $ for 50 gal barrel = sounds expensive, wonder what the shipping is?
Report Spam   Logged
Mary Ann
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:43 pm »

so about 1000 $ for 50 gal barrel = sounds expensive, wonder what the shipping is?

Ouch. I hate to think hairy1
Report Spam   Logged
39don

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 03:07:05 pm »

I called my local and longtime Vet supply store.  They have it in one gallon jugs for $14.95 a gallon.  I told them to have me 5 gallons on the next stock truck.. no extra for shipping. 

Thats a really good price Mia, let us know how it works and smells and feels and cuts.

TOG

I have been using the mineral oil from Tractor Supply ($15.00gal) and it really works well with absolutely no smell. Today I went to Wallyworld and purchased 12pts @ $1.68/pt = 1.5 gals for $20.16. Not tooooooooooo shabby considering the looks I got at check out.......

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Mary Ann
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

Interesting that they charge you .20/pint more than ours does.
Report Spam   Logged
39don

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 05:00:44 pm »

Interesting that they charge you .20/pint more than ours does.

Mary Ann, maybe they move more in your neck of the woods than they do in ours........ shemademe

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »

I have been using the mineral oil from Tractor Supply ($15.00gal) and it really works well with absolutely no smell. Today I went to Wallyworld and purchased 12pts @ $1.68/pt = 1.5 gals for $20.16. Not tooooooooooo shabby considering the looks I got at check out.......

Don

Don, what does the Tractor Supply place use this mineral oil for?  Curious in Moses Lake.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

39don

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 05:07:00 pm »

People use it for their livestock.........horses, cows and rocksaws.   saved4

Don
Report Spam   Logged

legendarygranite

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

United Oil sells mineral oil: 10 gallons $78.00 with two buckets. If I supply the buckets its $10.00 less. I'm not sure if its a national company. This is comercial minerial oil. Its my understanding that food grade is the same but is proccess in a clean room enviroment.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:13 pm »

Do they give info on the viscosity and flash point?
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

legendarygranite

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:14 pm »

I would imagine they would have specs/info on all of there products. I never asked. I will look into it tomorrow and let you know. I have 10 gallons comming tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Alvin

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:46 pm »

had 55 gal barrel delivered to my house. just used two planks to roll it off the truck. cost of white mineral oil and delivery $13 per gal.
I want the food grade thickness 70. tried 90 but too hard to recycle through the paper bag. white mineral oil has a low flash point, not poisonous.
does not stain. no problem handling slabs with bare hands. other oils can cause  health problems and fires.
Report Spam   Logged

legendarygranite

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:52 pm »

When I ask the united oil rep about the mineral oil should I be asking for weight and flash point? Is there any other ? I should inquire about.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

Assuming good techinica/food grade an oderless, the best questions would be viscosity (in either SUS or ISO or Saybolt or Kinematic@40C ...) and the flash point in either F or C.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

39don

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:30 am »

Assuming good techinica/food grade an oderless, the best questions would be viscosity (in either SUS or ISO or Saybolt or Kinematic@40C ...) and the flash point in either F or C.

I've been getting these specs for light mineral oil:

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 degree C......... 14/18
Flash Point ........................................... 170 C min

Also read that mineral oil is a by product of gasoline and it cost the refineries more to dispose of it than to sell it. Question is why don't they just give us some for our saws and charge us shipping only?

Don
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »

yes, they should give it to us!!

sounds like you are getting something like Deakeol 9 on this chart (http://www.hollandchemicals.com/Documents/Ctrl_Hyperlink/White_Oil_Specifications_and_Applications_uid62320091115061.pdf )

This is also another good chart for seeing how different viscosity measures compare.

SInce this company is just a few states north, I asked them how much for 1-gal and 5-gal of theri Drakeol 7 and 5. It seems that the lighter the oil, the lower the flashpoint. I would hate to get oil that needs cleaning less often, but which burns me to death. I will try to stick to flashpoints above 300 F.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

legendarygranite

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

So this is what I came up with for flash point 419 f
Kinematic is 40 c @ 23.5

How does my oil compare to others? I'm  thinking a higher flash point is good but have no Idea what Kinematic viscosity is or how it pertains to cutting rocks.
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

Dunno bout none of that stuff, but the animal grade mineral oil from the vet supply store is working fine!    ura
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

So this is what I came up with for flash point 419 f
Kinematic is 40 c @ 23.5

How does my oil compare to others? I'm  thinking a higher flash point is good but have no Idea what Kinematic viscosity is or how it pertains to cutting rocks.

If you look down the 2nd viscosity column on the chart I linked to, you see that is about SUS 120, or comparable to their Drakeol 13. It is a little thick compared to SUS 70. I think it would qualify as a medium mineral instead of a light - or maybe right between the two.

The reason thinner is better (as long as flash point does not get too low) is because particulates will settle out more quickly and you get less thick rock pudding. Possibly have to change oil less often. Oil might filter faster. Likely have less grit dragged back into the cut by dirty oil ... etc. But other factors like blade quality, kerf wider than core, depth of oil in the tank, whether the oil is pumped onto the blade, and others, might make more difference than getting a slightly lower viscosity.

I'm not going to throw out my STE-70, but I lose a little each time I clean and filter, and if the price is right, I will replace with a lower viscosity if I can get it.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website