General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 21, 2019, 08:33:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

LU6X-130 ""PICS ADDED""

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LU6X-130 ""PICS ADDED""  (Read 814 times)
Rockoteer

« on: April 20, 2011, 06:56:46 pm »

I have an LU6X-130.  I also have a Lortone upright small blue cabinet Model SB-6 and it contains 6 6" wheels marked from 350 to 50,000.  They are padded and have what I think are thin diamond coated paper disks on them.  Do I attach these to the right side of the LU6X and use them with water?

thks for the hlp dunno

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Rockoteer

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

Well since nobody did the research for me I did it myself.  Turns out, from what I can tell, I need to use water with them.  I have water piped into the top of the cab side in three places so I just need to adapt some sort of spritzer to ge the wheel wet.....it has to come in sideways so this may be a trick. ?? dunno

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

39don

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »

Gary, I just picked up on your thread just now, sorry it hasn't been sooner. Could you add a photo as I don't have a clue what you are referring to and am too lazy to go to Lortone and search their catalog.
Apparently you are planning to use the side of the wheel with these "paper disk with diamond on them". I believe this paper is actually milar with diamond embeded. Faceters use film like this to finish faceting their stones with. When using a horizonal lap in faceting they drip water towards the center of the wheel which wets the lap as it rotates. If you would spray water towards the center of your verticle wheel  the water would move to the outside of it but you would need to fab up a blocker/schield to keep the water from spraying all over the place.

I might be out in left field so just let me know.

Don   
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:28:03 am »

I will go out now and take/post some pics.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Rockoteer

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:28:16 am »

Maybe this will explain better..

Water attached to here..

Disk storage cabinet..

TOG

Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

39don

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »

Gary, the photos are as I thought with some type of fabric instead of mylar. You could find a nut that will thread onto the water fitting with a copper or plastic line to drip water onto the disc or use a spray bottle and just spray the disc as needed as it may not dry out that quickly.

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »

Sorry did not reply to this as well...

The pics help..

I want to say yikes...

Adhering these kinds of things to rubber backing like this can be a bit of a mess.. Especially when you want to remove and replace with new ones. The rubber comes right off with the paper.

I have had fair success with a multipurpose spray adhesive. Not too heavy.. Just enough to keep the paper in place. Not too much so that they curl like this..
Report Spam   Logged

Allen

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:57:49 pm »

The pictures help heaps.

I use something similar for all my polishing but only with a single flat plate.

The plate is covered with a soft neoprene. I use silicone carbide paper sheets that are attached to the neoprene with a spray adhesive (available from craft shops) that can be applied for temporary or permanent use.

To keep the stone and sheets cool I simply use a spray bottle.   
Report Spam   Logged

RoyKims
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:28 pm »

gary,
i've got a verticle lap that i use a bent 1/8'' OD copper tube to get the water to the center of the disk. works great. eventually the copper tube will get a point on it from contact with the disk.. this is good as it opens the tube for more flow.. i'd show a pic but it's late and i have a leather disk on it now.. i'm using an IV tube for water and just slip it on about 3'' and it doesn't leak..
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »

forgot to ask.. what's your opinion on the LU6X ??
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:39:19 pm »

forgot to ask.. what's your opinion on the LU6X ??

Roy, I like the trim saw very much.  I have the optional goose neck light and I can really see what I am doing and I also have the switch tower thats attached right to the top of the unit so I can turn on/off the light, motor and pump. The grinding stones are a little close together for knife scales (imho).  I am using the discs that I pictured because I have them.  They were given to me when I bought the saws.  In general its okay.  I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

RoyKims
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 10:23:30 pm »

tog,
i'll be doing a review on the one i have soon. IMHO it's built kind of cheap. i'd think for the price it should have had better built accessories..
roy
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:24 am »

tog,
i'll be doing a review on the one i have soon. IMHO it's built kind of cheap. i'd think for the price it should have had better built accessories..
roy

Actually, accessories is incorrect.  The only accessories are the switch tower and the light.  I have a Lortone 10" and 12" saw and this is built the same in general.  It has good bearings, good motor.

So, Roy, I would have to disagree with the term 'cheap'.  imho dunno

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

RoyKims
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »

tog,
sorry for the misunderstanding.. when i said accessories i meant the blade, sanding wheel and the buffer. maybe your's came with better but the ones on th model are horrible. the machine itself is well built and as you say the bearings are great.. i'm still not sure if i like the split drum sander as i haven't compared it to the nova i have.. i've had the nova but nothing to run it on so it will be a good coparison when i do use it..
the buffer that came with it was a piece of junk. it's a thin aluminum 'CRIMPED' to a base with a 1/4-20 bolt. it warped the very first time i used it. i bent it back and tried again and all it did was slip on the base... i put some JB weld on it but haven't tried it again..i've got another polisher i use.. the blade bends so easy it's hard to use and after repeated dressings refused to cut. i've taken a dremel to it but haven't tried it yet.. right now seems like a good time.. i'll get back on that..
roy
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »

I understand.  Since mine was used when I got it I wouldn't know what comes on it new.  I do have one of those split rim wheels but have not used it yet.  I replaced the blade for a 'green' one which I like very much.  I bought a new, nice green 100g wheel and I like that.  Also bought a dressing tool which I use a lot...keeps thing nice and round/smooth.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website