General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 20, 2019, 02:35:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Tile saw turned slab saw

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tile saw turned slab saw  (Read 5002 times)
Rocksnot
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

Hey,
Here are some first pics of the Harbor Freight 10" tile saw being turned to a slab saw...

First, the vice (somewhat crude, but proving effective at hanging on to rock grabbers and being adjustable.  Also from HF is the 6" carpenters vice (modified of course) mounted to a slab of plastic and adding the heavy aluminum angle and JB weld (after tapping the angle) some metric nuts to it so I can use the same screw knobs that came with a tile saw attachment that I might never use...

Sorry I have not got any pics of plastic wood rock grabber that was mounted to vice sled...
D@m plastic desk material was not thick enough or dense enough to keep the screws from moving in the material when I clamped rock in.  Real disappointing for the work that went into it.  It lasted for 5 cuts of a piece of quarts like rock mu son found.  We did get 3 nice even 1/4" slices before the grab screws just became to unstable. 
We did turn the piece 90* and just used the plastic deck thingy as a clamping vice to hold the piece (hope that makes sense)  and tried some thinner cuts.  WOW talk about thin!  <= 1/16" and easy to see through!
Excitedly waiting for a store bought grabber that I ordered sunday to come.  We have some real rocks that we are itching to slice!  LOL

One note on the tile saw:
The blade mount washers seemed to keep popping the blade loose of its bushing washer. This did not seem a big problem if I held mouth just right when snugin it down but I was 'bothered' by it.
Turns out that it did cause some vibration during operation >:(
I added a 1" x 5/8" bushing washer BEHIND the blade and bushing to keep it from getting pushed off the blade bushing while snugin it down.  O ya!  runs smooth as can be now!  :)  so very happy *happy dance*  just need that dang grabber to come!

Will post more pics of tile saw growing into a slab saw as new developments come.
Happily take any suggestions that you may have for improvements too!!

Thanks for looking!

* Saw_Vice1sm.jpg (146.72 KB, 640x480 - viewed 114 times.)

* Saw_Vice2sm.jpg (137.79 KB, 640x480 - viewed 62 times.)

* Saw_Vice3sm.jpg (121.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 51 times.)

* Saw_Vice4sm.jpg (175.27 KB, 640x480 - viewed 107 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:43:17 pm »

Looks like you are doing good! Have you tried it yet? Is it set up to be a drop saw? How are you going to get lubrication to the blade?
I just bought a used drop saw, and it is a cutting machine. Had to buy a new pump, to get oil to the blade, and good old Harbor Freight to the el-cheapo rescue. I haven't got around to taking pix yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Rocksnot
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »

The motor mount can be changed to drop but I am using it as a slide table (weight powered) for now.
I just use water and pump like it was a tile saw for the pieces that I have tried on it (both holding bu hand and clamping) it seems to be cutting great!
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »

Good deal!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

johnjsgems

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:22:57 am »

I have the MK101 (Lowes version) I picked up last year.  AS barranca installs their 301 lapidary blade on their similar BD2014 the last two Winter Sales I took it as a manufacturer's OK to run a little fast (3450 rpm).  It out cuts any saw I've ever used with that blade. I'm going to try a 303C blade next.  The MK101/BD2014 has the same sliding table but also "plunge cuts" allowing up to 7" cuts.  With the price of lapidary saws tile saws are really gaining popularity.
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:21 am »

Very simular looking machine.  I just got the $30 smooth sintered blade for HF  when I got the saw so I would have something to play with right away.  Seems to be a vicious rock eater but I have not got to put a larger size agate type rock in - yet! 

So was the MK made in China too?  Or does it have SAE hardware?
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

UPDATE:

see: http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,7234.msg71849.html#msg71849
for pics of the saw and vice with new slab grabber in place  :)
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »

MK's 4" and 7" budget saws are Chinese.  The MK101/BD2014 are American with as Baldor motor (1.5hp) even.  I love mine but found out after buying it the frame is much stronger than the standard (Lowes spec's).  Stronger, absolutely no frame flex but won't fit the MK folding stand.  Turning that fast I have to dress the blade every 4-6 cuts when shoving big agates through.  Having way to much fun to try being gentle.
Report Spam   Logged
39don

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:23 am »

MK's 4" and 7" budget saws are Chinese.  The MK101/BD2014 are American with as Baldor motor (1.5hp) even.  I love mine but found out after buying it the frame is much stronger than the standard (Lowes spec's).  Stronger, absolutely no frame flex but won't fit the MK folding stand.  Turning that fast I have to dress the blade every 4-6 cuts when shoving big agates through.  Having way to much fun to try being gentle.

I use a Barranca 303S on my 18' Lortone and have speeded it up to 2100rpm. I've cut all kinds of hard agate and jasper and have not had to dress it yet. It just keeps cutting alooooooooooooong. Those blades are pricy but in time, power and downtime saved you can't beat'em.
I will not use a cheap blade again.........

Don
Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:56:54 pm »

One thing for sure you should do. Put some soft wood pieces in the vice jaws. Rough is well roghLOL You'll need better grip on uneven surfaces than the bare steel. Otherwise looks like it should do the trick. Been thinking of geting a 14" overhead beam saw (tile) like that too.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:56:27 pm »

gwad(dawg), here i was getting ready to post my DYI 8'' saw table and vise and sled and i have to read this first. da!! well done!!    JB Weld--- man you got to love the stuff. works great on those nuts when you can't or don't want to tap..
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:18 am »

I have pieced of synthetic solid deck planks in the vice jaws now that hold rocks and the slab grabber (they stick up 2 1/2" above the vice and have worked well so far.

Ahhh yes JB Weld - love the stuff.  I had tapped the holes but the material was not thick enough to feel secure so I 'welded' the nuts on hehe.

Still thinking about re-working the sled part.  It worked fast and cheap so I knew that it would work but it is an inch higher than it needs to be...  An ongoing labor, but hey it's keeping me off the streets! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:23 pm »

bruce,
this looks very nice. i think i may incorperate it in the 10'' saw that's next on my list. i like the way this adjusts for doing slabs and not changing the clamp. that's what i worked on for mine.. the Lortone LU-6 is good at it but just doesn't cut deep enough.. i'll have more leeway next time but i'm not going to start it until i finish a couple of other projects on going..
Report Spam   Logged
Rocksnot
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:24:35 am »

There are some pics with the vice loaded and working in another thread:
http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,7234.0.html
Crude version but it was good proof of concept before I spend loads of time and energy to make it more refined *pretty*
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 01:25:10 pm »

i think i'd add a knob where the jaw tightener is that clears the base or even better get some allthread and extend it to beyond the vise. all that up and down sliding is going to drive you crazy.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website