General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 17, 2019, 12:44:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

My den of iniquity (or the dog house)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My den of iniquity (or the dog house)  (Read 773 times)
skystone
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »

We have a small one bedroom apartment behinde our house. We don't rent it out anymore. So the bedroom has become my lap/ silver studio. I also do leather work & another part of it. Is my leather working area (the rest is junk storage LOL) I have an area with bench for the layout & fabrication work. The other corrner (west side) is my soldering station. Then I have the bench area for grinding & trimming stone. In what was the closet I built a bench for my silver polishing & extra tools. Home built dust collection cabinet. I built from plywood & used an old fan motor from a kitchen hood. Ducted outside through a piece of drier vent. Just next to that is my home built disk buffer. So I can use the grinder & turn arround to the buffer. or from the buffer if I notice some scratches back to the 3,000 diamond wheel & back again. The unit is self built from a hardwaer store arbor, a cake pan, a cheap fountain water pump (Harbor Freight $10.00) & a piece of aluminum for the hood. The brass petcocks were the most expencive part of the whole rigg (not counting the motor). Works quite nicely with the expandable drum, a 6" disk on the end I glue wet & dry sandpaper to (1500-2000) & the 3,000 gritt diamond rubber wheel my wife got me for Christmas. Roof leaks a bit (but only when it rains) (summer project LOL) & my son got me an electric heater. Wife got me a mini refrigerator too (think they're trying to tell me something?) Finally my 10" Frantom combination unit in the garage for the slabbing & rough grinding. All the comforts of home LOL MMMMMMMM?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:42 pm »

Had to make a second post for the storage stuff. You can never have enough storage areas. I bought two double drawer cabinets (night stands?) at a thrift store for about $10.00 each. Nice white melamine finish with good sliders on the drawers. One I hve under my fabrication bench. For my silver wire etc. The other is under the buffing unit for the extra buffing wheels & the bottom drawer is rough storage. I'm including a picture of some cool heavy plastic storage boxes I got at Harbor freight. They're great for slab storage & I keep my coral in one too. The handy thing is thwe individual boxes lift out so you can take it to your bench. Without taking the whole thing. which gets a bit heavy when filled LOL.

Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:59 pm »

I'd say, you are not going to rent that area out in the near future!  Great space for a studio.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »

If you are going to rent it out you might want to pick up a little....kidding of course....looks like you have a lot of equipment.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »

You have a little of everything !
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

That's some beautiful pieces of Mediterranean Coral! Real scarce and pricey nowadays!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »

Oh you noticed thatr? Good eye. Yes the good deep red coral is getting hard to find, and rather expensive. I bought about 10 Oz. in Gallup in Oct. cost $50.00 an Oz.  We complain of the cost of a gallon of gas LOL But with silver at more than $30.00 an Oz. what isn't expensive in this hobby/ bussiness? Good turquoise is $150.00 a pound & up too.
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »

Back in the late 70's when I was making Indian style jewelry I remember buying the Mediterranean Coral for use in the jewelry. I don't recall exactly what it cost but it wasn't cheap then, either.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

39don

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »

Yes I can remember in the '70's I went to a show and purchased a 3lb piece of extremely nice rhodachrosite for $30 bucks which was all I could afford at the time. We left later with our only purchase.........

That piece today would cost in the neighborhood of $300/$500.....

I think I can see a light pink piece of rhoda in the pan on top of the buffer.....

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »

Don, is that your street rod?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
39don

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

Rock, yes and auctually it's the first car I purchased when I was a teen ager. I've owned it over 50 years.
After sending 3 kids through college I succeded in getting it close to where I wanted it. It's not for show but is a driver. I did all of the work except for the body work. A frame off with a Mustang II front end, a Jaguar rear end, a TIP 350 and 700r4 trans. I painted it in the driveway with lacquer. We generally put 6k/8k miles on it a year.
The wife and I dated in it when it was factory original.
It was 20 years old when I purchased it for $235.00 and registered as a 1938 due to being built in 12-12-1938.

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website