General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 21, 2019, 08:56:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

More bearing problems

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More bearing problems  (Read 727 times)
Rockoteer

« on: August 31, 2010, 09:03:50 am »

I have been unable find bearings (at a decent price) for my Poly Products arbor.  They are 19mm id X 47mm od.
I have searched the www high and low to no avail.  I did find them thru bearing locator but by the time they got to my door they were $48.
Any suggestions?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

johnjsgems

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:14 am »

You might try The Big Bearing Store.com.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:50:21 am »

Do you have a bearing supply/repair shop near by.

That is where I took mine . They had the bearings in shop and were able to replace quickly.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »

I agree with George......there has to be a bearing supply store near you somewhere.....think of all the automotive repair work happening.  I personally use sealed Timpkin bearings when I need to replace from such a supply store.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Rockoteer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »

I agree with George......there has to be a bearing supply store near you somewhere.....think of all the automotive repair work happening.  I personally use sealed Timpkin bearings when I need to replace from such a supply store.

We do.  Columbia Bearing...Timken does not make one that size...The 19mm I.D. is the rub as it is an odd size.  I did however find, on the Internet, a company that researches for you and finds your bearings, which they did for me.  I don't know why I couldn't find them searching myself but .... I didn't.  The bearings are 16.75 ea. for a subtotal of 33.50 plus 12.75 freight. Total 46.25 which I think is not bad.      ura

www.locateballbearings.com/BallBearingContactUs.html

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Michael
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:31:15 pm »

I have a question. Bearning come with a number stamped on the outter race. can you see that number? can you post a picture of it? Is it a tapered bearing? or a rubber wrapped one? A roller type. We work with many types of bearings and have always found that we could cross over almost all of them. The only ones that are very difficult to match are the chinese knock offs of American bearings
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:23 pm »

I don't know metric but every Poly I've seen uses 3/4" bearings (8"  units) and 5/8" (6" units).  They are ball bearings, insert type with no rubber isolators if I remember right.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:14:03 pm »

I will post a pic at the bottom of this reply.

I have a question. Bearning come with a number stamped on the outter race. can you see that number? can you post a picture of it? Is it a tapered bearing? or a rubber wrapped one? A roller type. We work with many types of bearings and have always found that we could cross over almost all of them. The only ones that are very difficult to match are the chinese knock offs of American bearings

The number is 87504 A 19.  Columbia Bearing said the A 19 is 19mm id and the od is 47mm.

Fractional  Decimal  Metric
3/4           0.7500    19.0500

I don't know metric but every Poly I've seen uses 3/4" bearings (8"  units) and 5/8" (6" units).  They are ball bearings, insert type with no rubber isolators if I remember right.
John, it could very well be a 3/4" bearing.  I know that it was extremely hard to get off.  It took a piece of 3/4" pipe and a sledge hammer.  I have another Poly that is in good shape and I will try and get a number off of it.

TOG

Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »

That was one of the pluses from taking mine to a bearing supply and service shop. They have the presses to easily remove and reinstall them.

Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:08 am »

That was one of the pluses from taking mine to a bearing supply and service shop. They have the presses to easily remove and reinstall them.

I took one in to a machine shop and had them remove it.  Took longer to walk from my car to the door than it did for them to pop it off.  Cost me $40 so I decided that would be the last time. 

If a person has to take it apart to change the belt I would think that they should come apart a little easier than these "two" did.

Tomorrow I am going to take the shaft and bearing out of the other poly and go down to the bearing shop and see if I can't use a 3/4" id like John was saying.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:25 am »

I took one in to a machine shop and had them remove it.  Took longer to walk from my car to the door than it did for them to pop it off.  Cost me $40 so I decided that would be the last time. 

Ya.. That is more than just a little steep of a price. I could swear that it was about 40.00 to do the whole project including bearings at the shop I went to.

Report Spam   Logged

Michael
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 05:24:06 am »

We tried that number you gave and it does not show up anywhere. A good bearing and belt supply house should be able to match it. just take it to them and let them measure it.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:39:36 am »

We tried that number you gave and it does not show up anywhere. A good bearing and belt supply house should be able to match it. just take it to them and let them measure it.

I went to the only one we have here in Moses Lake and thats Columbia Bearing.  The one I took out of the other Poly is a different number and I am going to take it down today, along with the shaft and housing and see what they can come up with.

One of the disadvantages of living in a small town.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Rockoteer

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »

I took the bearing out of the other poly arbor and went to Columbia Bearing.  I got a different clerk and right away he said its (as John said) a 3/4"id X 47mm od X 1/2" wide.  Found the "Timken" bearing 204PP4 Z22-P.  He only had one and it was 28 bucks.  I got it but it hurt way down to my toes to spend that much.  The clerk said you could probably find a cheaper one on the net.....long story short """"YES''''''' I did at bearingsdirect.com......for 9.45 each and shipping was 5.85.....total 34.20 for three more bearings ura ura ura.

Thanks to all for their help

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Michael
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »

Good...... I hate to pay a lot for bearings. I know some have a hugh mark up but most are only a few dollars.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website