General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:48:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Pixie Modification to eliminate constant re-oiling

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pixie Modification to eliminate constant re-oiling  (Read 435 times)
MrsWTownsend
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:47:18 pm »

Someplace there is a thread where you all are discussing the joys of having to stop every 3 minutes to re-oil your leather piece in the motor of your Pixie/Genie polishing set-ups.  I can not find that so I made a new one...

My ever-resourceful hubby made a simple modification to my Pixie that has eliminated that problem forever and I never have to stop and re-oil EVER.  His solution to the stupid leather thingy in the motor of the Pixie (what are they thinking here???)~ he just took that out all together and eliminated the problem.  Now the motor is used only to turn the wheels and there is a separate unit that pumps the water spritzer.  Here are pics of the pump including make/ model number.  I used aquarium hose (which you can buy in significant lengths) to run the air to my Pixie tray.  One cool thing about this is I can run the air pump to other machines as well, for example, my trim saw has two rough grinding wheels on it which require water lubrication.  I can fill the reservoir under the wheels and use the same pump to spritz these wheels when I am using the saw inside the house, rather than just having it throw water all over the place (which is how I do it when I use it outside~ more fun and working wet in 100+ degrees = very tolerable conditions).

The chaos that IS my kitchen table

The pump

In that same thread, debris getting pulled up into the air hose from the water tray was also mentioned.  I have a small pipe filter (like for a tobacco pipe) in the convex side of the spritzer component that sits in the water so it filters the small debris/lint/dog hair/whatever and prevents the bulk of it from getting pulled up into the hose.

Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:10:48 pm »

I have installed a dual output aquarium air pump on a genie that works great. They cost about $25. at pet supply stores.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:01:58 pm »

Hi Gina, I have a Genie.  I really haven't had the same problem with my Genie.  Is this a common problem with Pixie's?  I would have thought that the Pixie and Genie and even Titan would have a very similar pump system, but i don't really know if that is true.  I did have to buy and install a Genie pump maintenance kit, after about 3 years of use.  It was a really simple procedure and the pump is working great now.  I posted the procedure with pics on this forum at the following link: http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,3625.0.html  I do have an issue with the water spritzers dancing around the tray while cabbing.  I had a bit of vibration and spritzer movement, but then recently i turned my wheels around and it went crazy.  On the one side, I had to cut a thin sheet of plywood and cut out rectangles for the spritzers and place this in the bottom of the tray to hold the spritzers in place.  That was fine and not too much of a pain, but then the other side went off the scale, it was so much worse.  It takes the spritzers about a second to move from under their wheel so that the wheel no longer gets water.  I am putting a heavy rock on the hoses to keep them in place but it is really irritating.  I would really like to add new individual water hoses above each wheel and put a drain hole in each tray.  If anyone can point out applicable posts or other web sites, please let me know

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

Mark,
I found that if I take a sharp narrow pointed center punch and punch a number of dents into the bottom of the spitzers that the sharp edges of the punch holes cause enough of a rough surface that the dancing around is significantly reduced.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 11:32:11 pm »

Mark, I have only used the Pixie; I am only doing memory recall (yes, it's scary, I know) from a previously read thread where this problem was discussed, so I thought I'd take pics of the solution that we found for this design flaw.  Like I said, I couldn't find the thread that discussed that to post this there.  If this is not applicable to the Genie then I stand corrected with that regard.  The Pixie design is such that, with the factory set up, the pump only runs for a very short time before the air lines have to be bled of oil/water and the leather gasket re-oiled or the pump just plain quits working.  It is A GIANT PAIN!!!

Lots of really cool input here~ just goes to show, there is more than one way to skin a rock!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:15:38 am »

Before i performed the maintenance on my Genie pump, I was having all sorts of problems.  The spritzers seemed to always be clogging up, because no water came out, or it was a minimal flow of water.  I cleaned the spritzers as well as i could but it didn't help.  I cut the ends off the hoses and reattached them, thinking they were leaking at the ends where it was stretched over the pump fittings or spritzer fittings.  That didn't help either.  I started thinking i had an air leak somewhere and kept trying to get air out of the lines.  The spritzers might work for awhile but would then totally stop shooting out water.  I would turn the motor on and off and squeeze the lines, and sometimes they would start working again.  Finally after replacing the pump gaskets and leathers, it started working like new.  When the leather disks wear out, they don't seem to keep the pump airtight and it will stop working at that point because of the air leaking and little or no pressure.  I have to say, that it seems a rather hokey setup, but when maintained, it seems to work well.  I still would like to modify my Genie and have adjustable water drips for each wheel and water drainage from the tray.  I don't have access to water (currently) in my part of the basement, so it works fine for me.  But someday, I would like to change over the water system.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website