Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 06, 2020, 07:17:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Testing to destruction China $50.00 a pound jadeite

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing to destruction China $50.00 a pound jadeite  (Read 2658 times)
Fullerton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:10 am »

Firstly, I really enjoy these tests to destruction  yes

Secondly, thought I'd just say that if you generalise too much ... you are bound to sometimes not always be right.

I occassional use one Chinese ebay store for supply of lapidary rough. Recently, it's been for lapis lazuli and sunstone. I've been happy with the rocks received. Accurate descriptions and cabbing results have been good. Poorer stones are cheaper and better stones are at higher prices - and I've bought both. Even the low grade is cabbable.

So there may be a few good Chinese dealers amongst the shonky ones  dunno

On the other hand I have bought about 5 boxes of rough from a very well known (and, I guess  respected) US supplier. Not sure why I keep going back as I get let down nearly every time with their hand selected rough versus the images and descriptions on their website. eg. an Indian jasper sold to show great colour contrasts had 95% black and a little edge of red. This hurts when I pay about US$60 freight for a 15lb order. I usually get a pound to 3 pounds each of a variety of materials and there's always a couple or more of materials that completely don't make cab grade or are barely there. So half my order is usually a waste of money.

I initially thought, oh well that's the luck of the draw for random rough. But it happens consistently (that I get very, very poor pieces) so I'm now thinking that maybe as an overseas small purchaser it doesn't matter to a US company if I don't get reasonable quality   hide
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum