Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 29, 2021, 08:05:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Testing to destruction - Stabilized Nacozari Turquoise/Chrysocolla

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing to destruction - Stabilized Nacozari Turquoise/Chrysocolla  (Read 1512 times)
Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

I posted two of these turquoise type stone testing to destruction threads in the cabs section before  as I started with an alleged "turquoise" cab and ended with the remains being polished in a smaller flamed cab.  This is different as I used a trim piece for the test as the stone is far too expensive to totally waste.

The stabilized Nacozari piece is from a multi pound huge piece I bought that was a mix of turquoise and chrysocolla with the chrysocolla being a bit translucent as compared to the turquoise not being at all translucent.

I also use a unstabilized pieced of malachite as a side by side addition to show what a similar not stabilized copper based stone does under the same test condition.

The first picture is of the two test pieces.

The 2nd picture is of the unstabilized natural malachite piece being torched and how it responds as a copper mine based stone as is turquoise.

The third picture is of the stabilized piece of Turquoise/Chrysocolla receiving the same toasting as the malachite.  it did not burn and it reacted very nearly the same as the untreated malachite.  There was just the slightest smell of the burning polymer/resin i think.

The fourth picture is the two toasted pieces side by side on the graphite block right after the treatment.

The last picture shows the two small pieces sanded after the toasting and if they were not so small I am sure they would have easily polished.   Both suffered fracture issues from the high temperature torch but not muct other obvious damage. 

The results indicate that properly stabilized stone will react pretty much as the natural stone usually does but it is harder, more solid and brighter colored than the untreated stone and some of the small pits and soft spots are greatly improved.  Based on my experience in cutting very large stabilized turquoise pieces, the stabilization does not "cure" fracture lines.  Most of the slabs ended up in several pieces breaking along the fault lines.

* 2010_06230001.JPG (68.95 KB, 640x480 - viewed 80 times.)

* 2010_06230003.JPG (64.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 76 times.)

* 2010_06230005.JPG (68.08 KB, 640x480 - viewed 73 times.)

* 2010_06230006.JPG (66.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 76 times.)

* 2010_06230008.JPG (79.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 77 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »

that is very interesting. heating rocks must be quite tricky.  My wife has made several nice cabs from the slabs we got from you. when we can use this computer to send pics, we will post some. thanks again for the nice slabs.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:36:41 am »

Very interesting indeed..

Would you mind if I merged all your "Testing to destruction" threads ? Would like to pin them under a single topic.

Really is interesting to see.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:14:59 am »

Do whatever you would like with these.  I buy a heck of a lot of top end stone and I can afford to show what to watch out for with these small tests.....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum