Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 07, 2020, 09:04:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

New Website....it's alot more than just new pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Website....it's alot more than just new pictures  (Read 412 times)
The Polished Pebble
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

I remember when I joined this happy group of .......well, let's just say "Happy Group". There were a few people selling from their Flikr accounts & such. The excuss was that it was easier. Easier maybe, but to really sell things you have two main choices.

#1 Sign up with a online market place - ie. EBay, Etsy, Artfire, and the list goes on. They make it fairly easy with their listing programs. But the down side is you are paying the fees. Do all the work & have someone take a cut. Yes, they have the traffic - but still.

#2 Start your own website. Used to be that you had to be a computer geek to understand all the coding & such or pay someone thru the nose to set one up for you. My how things have changed.

I have to admit, most computer stuff gives me a headache & I avoided it. But after EBay started to cost me more than I was making it was time to get out. Oh, I wasn't selling rock stuff....but it is all the same.

So after watching & investigating stuff I started www.The Polished Pebble.com  using the zencart ecommerce program. I am by no means a computer wiz. But I found that I could do it....maybe not that great of a job, but still. I still have issues & need to do stuff - but I am in control.

As time has passed I have found it harder to make the cabochons, while slabing rock can be done while other things are going on. I thought about just adding the slabs to my website, but it didn't seem to fit. Most people are looking for one or the other.

To that end....I have an new website. It is www.TheStoneDragon.com I am still working on it, but it is functional.

So, check it out & give me some feedback.

Thanks,  Connie

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »

Pretty Nice Connie!!! When you get it all going you can work on mine? hide

Good job!   Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
The Polished Pebble
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:16:29 pm »

Thanks Bob! It is time consuming getting it all setup. But once you do itis not too bad.

But my websites are just very basic...no FLASH or fancy stuff.

Connie
Report Spam   Logged
tgood1969
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:33:37 pm »

Connie, the site looks great!  In fact, I am inspired to try out the zencart option.

While I was looking around, I was overwhelmed by the desire to get my hands on some of the DeeDee stone... so I placed an order.  Great looking stuff.

Mike
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:36:09 pm »

Connie it looks very nice and I love the name:)
I know you said you wanted to keep the cabbing and the slabs separate but I always love when I can see what the slab will look like cabbed:)
My two cents:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
The Polished Pebble
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

Thanks for the order Mike! As for the zencart program, I love it & hate it at the same time. More love though. I have not had to strain my brain as much as I have since I took the plunge last year. But it is a great FREE program.

Sara, I agree that it is nice to see what the stone looks like cabbed. I was thinking about adding another pic to the listings showing a finished cab, having it tied to my other website if they wanted the finished item also or instead.

The problem there is that ...well....most people don't read everything. And I would not like to deal with someone who thought they were buying the slab & cab. I'll see what works out.

Connie
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »

Excellent job Connie..

Heck, I remember when you first dove into the ZC and were spending some time over at Alana'a Forum learning how to get things set up.

You picked up and learned it a lot faster than I did..

Hey, while I got you here.. You must have missed the note about removing the Lapidary Community WebRing navigation bar from your other site.

WebRing is having issues.. The script for those nav bars are causing conflicts. Really screwed up a couple of my sites. Took me a while to figure out it was that script.

Any way... Go ahead and remove that.. I am opting out of the WebRing.

I have my eye on more of the same Avila slabs that you have listed.

I noticed on your new site that the option for getting your newsletter shows I am already signed up. Must be connected somehow to the other site.

I have never received any updates.. Would very much like to keep up on new listings for this new site. Could you double check to see if you have my email address included for your newsletters/updates for this new site please ?  geori1957@yahoo.com
Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »

Connie, for someone who claims not to be very experienced at this, you sure have whipped up a great new site.
Congratulations.
Report Spam   Logged
Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »

Is it possible to get the stone slab photo's to be even bigger?  I like to see actual size or bigger when I am considering buying an expensive slab.
Report Spam   Logged

The Polished Pebble
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »

George, I guess I missed that about the webring. I will take it out. And I will check on the newsletter thing. And if you didn't direct me to Alana's site for help I don't know if I would have kept going. Sometimes it just seems easier to give up.

Next on the list is the google checkout.......arggggggg.

Thanks for the good words Paula....really if I can do it anyone can.

Michael, I understand totally. But I have not found any way to make the picture larger other than copying it to your computer & enlarging it from your end. I will nose around alittle more. I am sure George will give you the lowdown on the slabs he got if you asked.

Connie
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40:27 pm »

Is it possible to get the stone slab photo's to be even bigger?  I like to see actual size or bigger when I am considering buying an expensive slab.

I think your asking about her new site, and being able to enlarge those images?

Just click on any of the slabs.. A new page with detailed description for the slab will open. Right beneath the image on that page you will see "enlarge image"..

Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:22 am »

Connie, I like it!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Deb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 04:30:10 pm »

Connie,

It's a really nice site and easy to navigate.
Great job!!!

yippie yippie

Deb
Report Spam   Logged
The Polished Pebble
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »

Thanks all, I have been away for a short time & will be getting back to adding more stock.

Lets just say I have a few interesting new finds that I am working on...........

Connie
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 02:51:48 am »

Excellent... ! Was just checking to see if you had added more so we can add to the two slabs so as to top off the box !  dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum