General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 22, 2019, 01:50:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

slab blade warping and angle cuts

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slab blade warping and angle cuts  (Read 880 times)
gregorgr8

There is no try: only do and don't do. Yoda

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:35 pm »

You have to start a cut that is on an angle very, very slowly.  And I think this is going to be harder to do with a drop saw because its weight wants it to keep on drawing.

another thing I do when starting a cut on an angle (not on a drop saw) is to hold my finger against the saw blade as I start the cut very slowly and then when it is in deep enough letting it go.
Report Spam   Logged

Stay healthy in 2011.  .  .  . and don't forget to eat some dark chocolate!

Gregor

Mark

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 07:36:19 pm »

I read an article in Rock and Gem and they discussed how to cut a sloped stone.  Their way was to let the blade contact the stone for a short time so it just started to nick the stone.  Then say 15 to 30 seconds later, stop the saw and pull the stone away from the blade.  Now push it back into the starting cut and do it again.  Repeat this process 2, 3, 4 times until you can see a rectangular channel cut in the stone.  Now the blade will no longer try to slide down the stone as it has a slot to hold it straight.  Since I started this on sloped stones, i have not had a single problem and have been finally able to cut sloped stones.  A sloped stone is what caused me to warp a $275 blade a couple days after i first got my saw.  This may take an extra minute or so, but its well worth the effort.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Neural
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:06 pm »

The sloped stone issue is most certainly part of the problem. 

The drop saw is operated by lightly setting the blade down on the stone and holding it steady until it has a start, then smoothly releasing until the full weight of the arm is in action.

I will try the method Mark mentioned, as I'm betting that will solve the problem.

Thing for me is that something is ever so slightly off balance, so when I'm trying to set the blade down gently, I don't get a slight zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound, I get zzz zing zing ting zzzzzz zing zzzzzzzzzz   because my muscles can't adjust fast enough to compensate. 
Might just take some practice. 
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:34 pm »

Another trick I have tried with good success ..  as soon as the blade starts to contact the stone take it out of gear (carriage movement) for 30 seconds or so then put it back in gear for 10 seconds or so ... keep doing this and keep checking the stone (shut off the saw so you don't get oily face).

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Mark

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:16:01 am »

I think that Gary's method does pretty much the same thing as the one i got from Rock and Gem magazine.  You let the saw make several short contacts with the stone, until a channel is cut.  The channel will then tend to keep the blade cutting in a straight line.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:36 am »

I think the feed on my old Lortone is sooo sloowww That I do not have this problem. I went to look at the 18" HP yesterday. I am buying it. The seller also has a saw exactly like Neurals, which is also for sale and we actually discussed the blade starting into the rock. Paul (the seller/owner) uses a thicker than normal blade and actually eases the blade into the rock. He says that it is messy business and  he avoided cutting Montana Agate (usually round and slippery)with that saw. Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 09:15:45 am »

Congrats on the new saw Bob..

Report Spam   Logged

Neural
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »

Well, one thing I have to make clear is that this is a drop/chop saw. 
I can post pics if needed, but there is no carriage of any sort.  the rock is held in a vice that is part of the base, and you literally set the running blade down on the rock, let it groove a little, then release.

I've not had a chance to try Marks suggestion yet of taking a few grooving swings at it before letting it fully rest on the rock, but will see what results I get there.

Lortone seems to think it's a blade issue, but hard to say there.  The blade is perfectly flat, far as I can tell.  I keep thinking that maybe it's something to do with the blade edge being sharper on one side, but beyond that, this is an oddity.

Everything is clamped down tight, and the thumbscrew that keeps the side to side adjustment is tight when the saw is in use (it locks a long threaded shaft that, when rotated, moves the entire saw arm side to side, this is how you adjust to make cuts).
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »

Let us know when you get this figured out.  I wish someone close by had a drop saw that I could look at.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Neural
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

According to Lortone, they say that it sounds like the saw blade has lost "tension", which apparently results in the warping like this.

I can only assume that they are eluding to some sort of metal fatigue due to heat over time, since the blade has been used for a while.

They told me to buy a new blade.

Honestly, if that is the case, then what I want to know is what's the danger of using the blade as it is currently?  It doesn't warp real far, and the stones are in the vice nice and solid.   Just want as much out of it as I can get.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:41 pm »

I would continue to use it.  It doesn't sound like it is causing any real problems.  You might try bigger washers.  I don't know if you have one or two but if they are bigger it will make the blade more stable.  I do that on my wood saw.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website