General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 10, 2018, 08:16:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Soldering/flux question

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldering/flux question  (Read 1325 times)
Rockoteer

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:17 am »

Thats what I have been doing but I thought there might be a quicker way.

TOG  needcoffee
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
1dave
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 08:48:17 am »

OK, ignorance is not always bliss.  I have ordered the chip silver, hard solder.  I also ordered a liquid flux.  I ordered from Rio Grande in case anyone is curious.  I am ASSUMING I am on the right track.  My efforts to date have been lots of melted wire, one singed beard (I am now beardless in self defence) and a few "OH DARNS" ( yea, right).  I have lugged around a small roll of silver solder that was used to attach carbide tips to steel blanks for about 25 years or so.  I assumed this was silver solder since that is what I was told it was.  I now suspect it is something other than what I need.  I have been using Borax mixed with water to form a paste which I apply lightly.  My torch is Mapp gas, self igniting head.  The question:  Have I been using the wrong solder and flux?  Thanks.

All my stuff was boxed up 30-40 years ago.
I just broke it out to start again, found all my solder, started with the hard solder and melted my sterling while the "hard solder" square never even rounded on the corners!
Turns out I have 7 packets of German Silver bezel labeled as hard solder.
Report Spam   Logged
tetonartgallery

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:41 am »

I have lugged around a small roll of silver solder that was used to attach carbide tips to steel blanks for about 25 years or so.

I have been told that solder that has sat around for over a year may not flow like newer solder.
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks for looking - Gerard
Click here to see My Web Site
bobby1

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »

The problem with using silver solder from years past is that it contains Cadmium. Due to the hazardous nature of cadmium fumes generated while soldering OSHA has banned its use in silver solder. Cadmium fumes cause nerve damage when they are inhaled. I would suggest using new silver solder. I don't know of any way to determine if the old solder that someone has contains Cadmium (it was used to make the solder flow better) unless it has the original packaging which might show the ingredients.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Goldsmithy

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 03:26:32 pm »

I have lugged around a small roll of silver solder that was used to attach carbide tips to steel blanks for about 25 years or so.

I have been told that solder that has sat around for over a year may not flow like newer solder.

If solder sits around long enough, there will be problems with the solder flowing because the solder has formed a layer of oxides, like tarnish on silver. This must be removed be removed by sanding lightly before the solder will flow properly. Once the oxides are removed, the solder will flow like when it was new.   ...Teddy
Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 12:34:49 pm »

I have some solder that is several years old and have had no problem. I don't cut a bunch of pallions of solder in advance and keep a piece of steel wool handy on my soldering table to clean the solder up before I use it. Have not had any contamination problems with my pickle either.....
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
SILVERNUGGET

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 04:55:17 pm »

How about handy flux that's gone kinda dry whats the fix for this ?

been looking for an answer on this one for awhile now.
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »

How about handy flux that's gone kinda dry whats the fix for this ?

been looking for an answer on this one for awhile now.

I dilute mine with water when it dries out................Add water mix well and slop it on................Here in NM it dries out quite quickly because of the low humidity............and I leave the top off wen I'm burning silver...............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Mlou
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »

I use boric acid in denatured alcohol as a firecoat, and liquid flux , one of the yellow or greenish yellow clear liquid fluxes right at the seam and on the bits of solder. Batterns or My-T-Flux, my current favorite. The boric acid keeps evaporating, and I have to add more to the container. I use no water in it. It makes a nice thin, frosty white film that melts well to protect the metal from oxygen.
-M'lou
Report Spam   Logged
Goldsmithy

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 06:57:44 am »

I think I have tried every kind of flux for slier in order to prevent the dreaded 'firescale" on the piece I was working on in silver. I have used Firescoff, alcohol/borax, Prip's flux, Cupronil, Batten's yellow flux, and a ouple of others.I now use a product called Stay-Silv. It comes in a white paste formula for soldering non-ferrous metalsand also a black flux for soldering ferrous metals. The white solder has a working temperature range of 800 to 1600 degrees F. The black flux has a working temperature of 800 to 1800 degrees F.

If the piece I am working on is larger than 1 inchish, I will first coat the piece with Prip's flux by coating the entire piece and gently warming to burn off the water and leave a protective coating over the entire piece. I then use the white paste flux (stay-Silv) at the joint I am soldering.

Unless you have a lot of money to waste, stay away from Fire-scoff. Prip's flux will do the same thing and you can make it yourself. I don't have the formula in front of me, but I can dig it out if anyone wants it.

Please do not use Stay-BRIGHT flux instead of Stay-Silv flux. Stay-Bright is used for low temperature soldering at 475 degrees and will not work for high temperature soldering.

In any soldering operations, everything must be clean, clean, clean. Bobby1's tip about using denatured alcohol ios "right on".
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website