General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 21, 2019, 01:50:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Lortone LU6X Combo Unit - Water Setup Questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lortone LU6X Combo Unit - Water Setup Questions  (Read 3613 times)
Caili
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »

Hey all. I've been following the various threads regarding water setups for cabbing units and have a question regarding water pump/bucket setups that I'm sure you more experienced folks can answer.  I bought a lightly used Lortone LU6X combo unit a week ago for a really good price. I am currently upgrading the unit to use a 1 1/2" diamond grinding wheel (120 grit) and an expandable drum with SiC belts for the time being. If I were to use a bucket/pump system, can anyone tell me what pressure water pump (GPM) would be needed to adequately keep the wheels wet while grinding? Also, if you run a two bucket setup, how quickly does the clean water bucket empty? Is a running water source at the unit necessary for this setup?

I don't have any room to use the unit in the condo, so we're putting together a rolling cart that I can easily move outside when I need to use it and bring in when I'm done. I can run an extension cord out back for power, but the only water spigots on the building are at the far ends of the building - not accessible enough for a running water supply at the unit. I'd like to avoid a recirculating water system if at all possible, but I'm not sure how often I'd need to refill the water if using a two-bucket setup, as I've never used this type of setup before.

Thanks for the help. :)

UPDATED:
Scroll down the page a bit to see pictures of the completed cabbing station, as well as the water system setup I'm using with the Lortone.
:)
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

I would venture to guess that your standard el-cheapo aquarium pump would do fine for this application, so long as you don't have too much vertical feet of tubing to pump the water through. I just use a gravity/bucket system myself.
Report Spam   Logged

donsstoneimages

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »

I currently use a running water source but have used a 2 bucket system in the past.  I used a cheap swamp cooler pump from the local hardware store (about 10-15$ and the lowest flow works fine 5500cfm) and some vinyl tubing.  The pump will pump alot more water than you will need and will need a valve to slow the flow.  Depending on what material I was cabbing the buckets would last at least an hour and sometimes longer depending on the flow I was running.  I think my setup used 2.5 gallon buckets
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »

With the cart idea it may or may not be a bit of additional hassle to use gravity feed... I do use a 10 gallon bucket for my gravity feed..

I also agree about trying to avoid a recirculating water system.. Just too many possible unwanted courser particulates getting on a cab.

Report Spam   Logged

Caili
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »

Thanks for the input, guys! :)

As I have to move the cart in and out of the back door each time I use the unit, a gravity feed setup wouldn't be very convenient. We picked up one of those red, powder-coated rolling tool carts used in auto shops from Harbor Freight Tools. Our plan is to put two 3 1/2 gallon buckets on the shelf immediately below the unit. The cart also has a locking drawer where I can store my extra belts, diamond powders, micromotor and flex shaft units and some hand tools and materials. The locking wheels will keep it from moving around on me, but it's still pretty easy for me to move, even with that big unit sitting on top.

I'm not a fan of recirculating systems for all of the obvious drawbacks. I just wasn't sure what type of pump would be best or how long I could expect the water to last in the supply bucket before it needs to be refilled. If I can expect the water to last an hour or more before I need to refill the water supply bucket, that'll work great. I can refill it from a hose right at the unit as needed,  I just can't keep the hose at my unit while I work. 

Oh, I'm also creating a simple filter system in the upper portion of the waste water bucket to strain the larger particulates and debris from the waste water to make disposal easier.  I'll be able to easily dump the filtered water outside and then discard the rest of the waste into a separate disposal bin.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:41:39 am »

I really like your idea of having a mobile cart that you can wheel outside. I like the idea of being able to work out in the sun during a nice day.

What I notice living out in the country is that the bees seem to be overly attracted to noisy equipment. Takes the fun out of doing something like this outdoors..

Sounds like you have a great plan !
Report Spam   Logged

Caili
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:46 pm »

Thanks George. I like the idea of having a rolling cart setup even in a studio, because it makes it really easy to move the equipment around for cleanup. It should work really well for working outside.

I figure, I should be able to put in some longer days working outside up until mid to late May, then I'll have to stick to the earlier morning hours. By June, it's generally too sticky-hot here in Central Florida to be able to work comfortably outdoors in the afternoons, not to mention we're frequented by mid-afternoon downpours all summer long. I plan to establish a routine where I can do my cabbing and carving outside in the mornings, then move inside to do my other jewelry work in the afternoon. I don't have to worry about bees out here so much, but I'm really hoping the mosquitoes aren't overly hungry before lunch time. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:28 am »

If you buy a submersible pump check the "feet of lift" on the specs.  I bough the $20 cheapo from Home Depot for a saw and found it would not lift the water from the floor.  I have to keep the bucket on the table next to the saw.
Report Spam   Logged
Caili
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »

Vertical lift is something we kept in mind when looking for pumps a couple of days ago. We decided on a fountain pump to make sure it could push the water upward into my unit easily. We ended up picking up a 190 GPH submersible mini pump for fountains with a 59" lift from Harbor Freight tools for $20, plus we paid an extra $6 to extend the warranty on it for an extra year. So, if the thing burns out after six months, we can take it in and exchange it for another pump. It's also a small pump, so it will take up minimal space in the 3.5 gallon supply bucket.

The combo unit came with the standard brass valves and some tubing, but I decided to replace the tubes to ensure there are no leaks in the system. Today we ran over to Home Depot and picked up all new brass fittings (except for the actual valves) and have new tubing on order from a local aquarium shop. The discharge on the pump fits a 1/2" hose, so we had to get a hose barb adapter to take it down to a 1/4" tube to run into the unit. Overall, I think it should work very well. I'm going to put in all of the new tubing and set up the pump as soon as the tubing comes in next week. We still need to put together the top of the unit for the machine to sit on. I'm hoping we'll have time to pick up the materials for that on Sunday. :)
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:18:55 pm »

Hi Caili
I too am just setting up a Lorotone unit...  was considering gravity until I realized I would probably have to hang the bucket overhead to get a decent flow...   Does your unit have a drain valve also?  Mine does, and didn't know if it was origiinal or not.

So I anticipate using a cheap fountain pump like from Wally World. hopefully that way I can leave the bucket of water on the floor.

Report Spam   Logged
Caili
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:07 pm »

So, we finished building my portable cabbing station earlier this week. I thought I'd share before and after pics. :)

This is where we started. We purchased a portable red utility cart with a locking drawer from Harbor Freight Tools, a 2x4 for the support frame and a sheet of King's Starboard (a marine-grade building material that is made of plastic, but cuts easily with standard woodworking tools). Actually, it's easier to cut than plywood! The Starboard is meant to withstand rugged marine conditions, so it's ideal for standing up to lapidary equipment. As a bonus, a fair percentage of the material comes from recycled plastics.

The starboard top we built is mounted to the support frame with liquid nails. The frame then rests on top of a cushioned shelf liner to keep vibration to a minimum. I'm going to post a detailed walk-through of the station build (w/ lots of pictures) in the blog section of my website in the next day or two. If anyone is interested in seeing how this was all put together, just let me know here and I'll post a link once I have it up.

This is the finished station, with my Lortone unit mounted on top. This station is very portable and relatively lightweight.

I'm very happy with how this all turned out. My husband was a huge help in putting this all together. It was a team effort all the way.

Report Spam   Logged
Caili
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »

Mia, to answer your question, I'm am running with a two bucket system with a pump that sits on the shelf directly below my Lortone unit. The bucket on the left supplies fresh water with an additive to the valves over my grinding wheel and expandable drum. The waste water then drains into the bucket on the right, which is lined with a plastic bag for easy removal. I intend to create a filter system that will sit in the upper portion of my waste bucket to filter out larger particulates and debris for even easier disposal. Here are a few additional images that will show you how everything is set up.

I'm using a small fountain pump with a 4 1/2' vertical lift in my supply bucket. The pump first feeds the water into a short 1/2" hose and then is reduced down to a 1/4" in hose that runs up to the cabbing unit.

I put in all new hosing and fittings, except for the two valves that sit directly above the wheel and expandable drum.

Here's a better look at the hosing setup from the back of the unit.

The drain from the bottom tray runs via a 1/4" hose into the waste bucket.

I hope this is helpful. :)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 12:08:52 am »

Way to go Caili   yes

Your on your way now !

Great job ... !

Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:50:08 pm »

What a great setup!! Now lets see some finished cabs...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Caili
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

Thanks guys. :D

We still have a few things left to do, but we're getting close to done. We need to set up a heavy duty power strip out back, since there are no power outlets outside. If today was any indication, a fan out back will likely be a very good idea, too. It was a really warm one today. We took the little one to the circus and nearly melted under the big top. lol.

I'm also planning to set up a small table off to one side of the cabbing station (in an L-type configuration) where I can do carving work with both my flex shaft and micro motor units. The micro motor unit can sit on the table, but I need to be able to hang the flex shaft motor. We're going to Home Depot tomorrow to look for a mounting hook that I can attach to the left side of the cart so I can hang the flex shaft motor so that it's easily accessible. I'm also looking for a good drafting chair for use outside, so I can spare my back as much as possible while working. A drafting chair will be tall enough to sit comfortably while grinding/polishing on the Lortone and then can be lowered enough to sit comfortably at my table while carving.

I have a package of diamond polishing compounds set to be delivered by UPS on Tuesday. Hopefully, we'll have everything else done by then, so I can get right to work on Wednesday morning. :)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website