General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:28:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Diamond Pacific Genie Water Pump Maintenance

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond Pacific Genie Water Pump Maintenance  (Read 5207 times)
Mark

« on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:42 am »

I just installed the new parts for my Genie water pump and it was pretty easy.  I was bored so i took pictures at various points in the procedure for future reference. 

The maintenance kit from Diamond Pacific contains a new pump head gasket, piston leather disks (2), piston felt disk, and water pump to spindle belt.  You start by soaking the 2 piston leather disks and the piston felt disk in 30 weight motor oil.  When done soaking, wipe the excess oil off and install per the instructions.  You take the pump head off and replace the gasket that fits under the head and then put this assembly aside till the end.  Unscrew the piston screw and remove the piston metallic top plate.  Remove the piston leather disk and felt disk.  At this point you can remove the pump cylinder or leave it on.  The piston bottom disk is now visible.  You then put the new leather disks with the felt disk in between them, back on top of the piston bottom.  The rough sides of the leather disk face the felt disk.  The two leather disks are slightly different and it is kind of hard to tell from the old ones, which was on top of the felt disk and which was under the felt disk.  Do your best, i'm not sure it matters, but i tried to figure out which was which.  One leather disk seems to be slightly thicker than the other.  After putting the leather - felt sandwich back on top of the bottom piston plate, put the top piston plate on and screw it down.  As with most things, don't screw it down so tight that you strip the screw or you will be  screwed, pun intended.  If you removed the pump cylinder, put it back on.  The pump cylinder just kind of sits on the bottom of the pump and the piston fits reasonably snuggly inside it.  When the piston is back together, replace the pump top (with pump top gasket on its bottom), on top of the pump cylinder.  Reinstall the 4 pump screws through the pump head, starting with the red painted one.  Put each in and turn a time or two and then put the opposite screw in and turn a time or two.  Do this for all 4 screws until they are all snuggly in.  Now screw the pump oil access screw into the pump top, it is in the middle of the pump top and is painted red also.  The pump is now done and ready to pump water through the hoses.  You can now install the new hoses that came with the kit or leave the old ones on if they are ok.  But why not do it all now.  Finally, there is a new belt that connects the water pump piston to the Genie left hand spindle that holds the wheels.  As the spindle turns, it turns the belt which turns the rod that holds the piston and makes the piston go up and down and causes pressure to push the water through the hoses and sprays the wheels from the spritzers in the water tray.  I use both spritzers together for which ever wheel i am using to be sure and get plenty of water.  To replace the belt, you have to remove the wheels on the left hand spindle.  This entails taking off the left hand splash guard and using a wrench on the end of the spindle on the nut and holding the nut on the other end of the left spindle, next to the motor with another wrench.  There is not a lot of room between the wheel and the motor and it may be hard to get a wrench in there.  I believe you need a 1 1/4" wrench for both nuts at least that is how i measured it.  I used some needle nose vise grip pliers on the nut next to the motor and a pipe wrench on the outer nut.  This is not optimal, as wrenches will not mess up the nuts like a pipe wrench and vise grip pliers can.  I am heading back to the hardware store to return the 1" wrench and get 2 1 1/4" wrenches for the next time i need to change wheels on the Genie.

So here are some pics to help you along.  There is also a close up of a HEX patterned Galaxy 80 grit grinding wheel and a 3000 grit Nova polishing wheel for comparison.

Mark

The instructions for rebuilding the Genie water pump

Soaking the pump piston leather and felt disks in 30 weight oil

The pump head gasket and the spindle to water pump belt

The Genie water pump attached to the left hand housing

The pump head removed

Here's the bottom of the pump head with the gasket

The pump cylinder with the piston top plate and screw visible

The pump cylinder and piston with the piston top plate and piston leather and felt disks.  The felt disk was kind of green, the new one was orange.  The felt disk is sandwiched between the two leather disks.

The piston bottom after the cylinder and piston top and disks were removed.  At this point put the new leather and felt disk in after wiping off excess oil from the disks.  You put the new leather disks with the felt disk in between them, back on top of the piston bottom.  The rough sides of the leather disk face the felt disk.  The two leather disks are slightly different and it is kind of hard to tell from the old ones, which was on top of the felt disk and which was under the felt disk.  Do your best and i'm not sure it matters.

After the piston is replaced, put the cylinder back and place the pump head with its new gasket on top of the cylinder and screw in the 4 top screws, starting with red.  Alternate screwing each screw in a turn or two and then do the opposite screw until all 4 screws are in.  Now replace the short red screw into the middle of the pump top.

Here's the left spindle with the wheels moved out of the way so you can see where the new spindle to water pump piston belt goes. 

The belt goes over the bottom and larger top pulleys.

Replace the wheels and wheel spacers on the left hand spindle.

When the wheels and spacers are in place, tighten the left hand nut down while holding the inner nut.

Here's a pic of a Diamond Pacific 80 grit HEX wheel, notice the HEX pattern of diamonds.  This is more aggressive at removing stone than a regular surface wheel and cost a lot more too.

Here's a pic of a Diamond Pacific 3000 grit polishing wheel

Here's the water spritzers in action after rebuilding the water pump.

Here's another shot of the spritzers

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:07 pm »

Now thats pretty slick !

So you had to purchase a new spindle in order to add this pump? That sorta sucks.. Too bad the Gennie does not come stock with this option to just add the pump..

Are you happy with the amount of water it puts out, and could a different sized pump pulley be used to increase the water volume ?
Report Spam   Logged

johnjsgems

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:30:53 pm »

No, he rebuilt his existing pump.  I use both geysers on each wheel also.  More water is messy but better for the wheels.  Do you find the hex wheel chips more than the standard 80?
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:24:11 pm »

I didn't have to buy a new spindle.  The maintenance kit costs like $35 roughly and i needed it.  My sprayers would stop for a minute at a time, often due to leaking i would guess.  The new piston fixed that and the water flow is much improved.

I don' t seem to have problems with the HEX wheel chipping my preforms.  There are times that its too aggressive and i have a regular and used 80 grit Galaxy wheel next to it.  I have 3 spindles so i have HEX 80, regular 80, and 220 on the left.  right spindle #1 has 280, 600, and 1200.  right spindle #2 has 3000, 8000, and 14000 grits.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

thewrightthings
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »

Nice primer on the pump installation, Mark.  I may need that some day if my Genie pump gives up.  Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 04:14:56 am »

Even if you don't have problems where it stops spraying water from time to time, it may make a big difference in the amount of water sprayed.  It sprays a lot more with much more force now.  I just wonder if it could have added to the wear on my wheels because i didn't have enough water.  I am very pleased with the results and it really only takes 10 minutes or so.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:09:22 am »

Mark,

Sometimes if I have my sprayer heads positioned so that some water sprays up past the outer right side of the inner wheel on my left side shaft my sprayers will stop spraying. I suspect that the belt is getting wet and slipping. Has this ever happened to you?
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

I have never paid attention when my spritzers stopped working as to which wheel they were spraying.  I believe it has happened at each wheel for me and was a leak due to the piston leathers being worn and not getting a good pressure built up to pump the water through.  Sometimes i think i also had a problem where the spritzers got clogged up and i had to use a pin or pipe cleaner to clean out the obstruction. 

I could see that being a problem if your belt was worn.  You would think the belts would be really cheap, but since the kit costs about $35 and all you get is a small gasket, small thin belt, 2 quarter sized leather disks, 1 quarter sized felt disk, and 2 small pieces of tubing, i would guess that they would stick you for $10 to $15 for a belt.  Maybe i am wrong, but the materials must have cost less than $5 total if not $3.  Check your belt and see if it looks worn or slick.  Mine was starting to shred a bit.  You need a 1 1/4 inch wrench on the outside nut and i can't fit a wrench on the inside on and have to use needle nose vise grip pliers on the inside nut next to the motor.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:15:05 am »

It has been a long time since i read this thread, but Christopher, you are right.  I finally figured that sometimes when i sprayed water to the inside of the inner left hand wheel, the water would stop spraying because as Christopher guessed, the belt gets wet and starts slipping.  I MaGyver'd it by making a tin foil water shield and taping/wrapping it so that it blocks the water from spraying up onto the pump gear.  This stopped the gear/belt from slipping and stopping the pumping action and water spraying.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:54 am »

I wonder if  DP can  make a design change.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:59:46 am »

I'm sure they can, but probably won't.  They have surely had complaints after all this time and know the issue and probably figured its not worth their time to fix as it would cut into profits.  They probably rationalize it as, you shouldn't be shooting water up there anyways.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website