General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob shared this beautiful Monarch Jasper Cab

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Peaches shared this wonderful tutorial and finished Ocean Jasper Inlay Cuff

Intarsias and Composites in the Spotlight

David shared this beautiful Ocean Jasper Intarsia and tutorial

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 23, 2018, 08:40:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 09/21/2018  Forum Is Back Up And Running.. Welcome Back and Happy Cabbing!

Home Help Search Login Register  

Colbaugh's Semi Cabbing Machine !

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbaugh's Semi Cabbing Machine !  (Read 9394 times)
Debbie K

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 06:09:19 am »

George: why did you like it that much? I have two Colbaughs, one is operational and the other is missing the small motor that rotates the stone, which I thought I might as well buy for parts. I was so excited about them, but found that it was working so slowly it was frustrating. I think they may be great for turquoise or soft stones, but the quartz I put in took forever and never really became perfectly shaped before I gave up. I messed around with the weight to no avail.

Maybe the stones need to be very well preformed. Maybe my sintered wheel was glazed or too fine. Maybe it's a case of operator error, yet again. What do you think I was doing wrong?

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 06:39:10 am »

I re-read this whole thread. So, the wheels aren't sintered? Maybe the one I tried was getting worn out. I think I have 8 or so, so maybe I'll try another. I also have a Graves preformer, and I was thinking about trying one of these wheels on it.

I actually put one of the wheels on my faceting machine the other day, and I think with a little modification I could use it to at least make round cabs. Sadly, I don't have but one of the templates that go with it, but thought maybe the ones from the Graves would work, if I could only find them...
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 06:59:33 am »

George: why did you like it that much?

I found it great for making perfectly matched earring pairs and also for perfect round cabs.  Other than that I free hand everything.

Can you share a few pics of the two Colbaughs and wheels you have ? 

As for the cabbing templates, I made mine out of plexiglass, Shaped them on nickel plated grinding wheels and then smoothed them out a little on regular silicon belts. It is just really important to get the hole drilled exactly in the center.

Yes, for hard jaspers and agates it helps a whole lot if the preform somewhat close in size and shape as the desired end result.  Also, I ended up replacing the special shaped factory discs that came with the unit and replaced with regular flat faced 1 1/2" nickel plated 80 grit grinding wheels.

Post a few pics if you can and maybe can tell a little more after seeing what you have and how they are set up. Or at least the one you have been able to use.
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:05 am »

George:

I know one of them is disassembled to fit on shelving, but I think the other (working) one is still together. It, too, is on a shelf in my carport. Due to a shoulder injury, I don't thing I can pick it up and move it out right now, but I'll see if I can get a picture of it later today. The wheels are easy to get to, rusty, but I'll take pictures.

I know when I got them I had to take them apart to pick them up. The base and motor combined were just too heavy for me. Here's a picture of it when I bought it:

* ideal-semi-cabbing-machine-.jpg (76.57 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 2 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 07:29:58 am »

This parts unit is set up a bit different than mine... It would sure take a lot of love and a few dollars to get her in good running condition again..

Maybe when someone is visiting one day, they can pull the operable one down off the shelf for a few good pics.  Wish I was close by, it would be nice to see it first hand and walk you through a few semi cabbing experiences and help you get it running efficiently walker

One other thing..  When you can, check the rpm of the motor for the one you tried to use.. These require 3450 rpm.. I can not recall for sure, but if I remember right I had a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor on mine.

I forgot where you are located Debbie.. 

Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 08:36:44 am »

I'm in Houston, and you are on the west coast somewhere, aren't you?

I am glad I bought both of them, I vaguely remember that there was some problem with the shroud on the working one that interfered with the fan belt and I had to put parts of both together to get a working one. It worked, just very slowly. I had read this thread and moved the weight from front to back and adjusted the weight trying to get it to cut faster. Both have 1/3 hp motors with 1725 rpm. Now I think I know what the problem is... I don't have a 3450, I have a Baldour 1 hp but it runs at 1725, also.

I was going to do a total restoration job on them; de-rust and paint and all, but after my trial run with it, I got discouraged. Also, I have to work on it outside as I don't have a water hook-up in my studio and a way to drain all the water. I know they need lots of water to work properly; I was using a bucket and pump outside and had to run back and forth from the faucet with water. Life's too short to work that hard. Plus the mosquitoes make it impossible except in the winter.

I love gadgets like this, and was hoping to get more out of it. I didn't pay too much for them, the motors alone were worth it, plus I got all the wheels.

There are 7 wheels, the largest (for a cab shape) and coarsest is still on the machine, but I can't get a good picture. Here are the other 6; the 3 on the right look like they're copper or bronze and the others are steel. And a profile picture, too. Some are marked with grit (200? really?) and Mohave industries, most aren't.

* 20180924_092409.jpg (637.81 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 1 times.)

* 20180924_092610.jpg (562.72 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 1 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »

So strange.. I know it has been a few years since I have explored Mohave or Colbaugh via Kingman Az, but it is like the cabbing machines they were selling just 6 short years ago are no longer being sold, nor can I find any info on them.. Nothing on their mining site which is where I am sure they were selling them, discs, templates and all..  But not a single thing anyplace online for those machines any longer..  Not even any pics any longer online of those newer version semi cabbing machines.

So yes, a 3450 rpm 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor is a must.. I can not recall which I had, but which ever one it is that offers the 3450 is the one you will be required to use in order to make this thing work.   

Regardless, I suggest throwing all those discs in the garbage.. That is what I did with mine.  I can only guess that they came from the factory with such a fine grit because the original intended use for these Colbaughs was to be used only on a soft material like their turquoise..

I tossed them and replaced with 1 1/2' ( not 2" ) X 6', 80 grit diamond grinding wheels. They work "excellent" .. No chipping at all.. You can only preform, they will not have the curved edge that those discs have, but that curved edge really makes no difference.. It is super easy to "free hand" a dome. 

Make sure when you buy one that you can really see an aggressive looking 80 grit. Some labeled 80 grit online look to be about 400 to me. But they might just have their selling pics mixed up..

I have not reached out to this 2013 eBay seller, but seems quite the expert with these machines if he is still around. Between the two of us we can get one of these up and running nicely.  But if he is still around, may be a nice parts source.  Read through the description back when he sold one at https://tinyurl.com/y75oura4

It was indeed quite a project to sand mine down for a nice primer and paint. I tore every part down and used a bristle grinding wheel on everything. 

It does go through a lot of water quickly, but if you look back at the first page of this topic, you will see how water is recycled so that it is not necessary to keep filling a gravity fed bucket of water to the machine.

Water from the machine goes into a sluice box that separates the grindings so the pump can bring the cleaned water back up to the machine.  This set up is really necessary unless you have an ulimited fresh water supply that can also be drained outside or something..

Ok, I think thats it for this post... I have to spend some time researching identity theft tonight for my daughter and son in law..  I can not beleive the nightmare they are currently experiencing.. I mean it is true a horror story straight out of Stephen King or something.. Really crazy ... So will check back in later...

Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:37 pm »

That sluice is a good idea! I'll have to be on the lookout for a 3450 rpm motor at garage sales; I'm currently broke.

I like restoring machines; I've fixed two grinders and two faceting machines. I'm OCD about my tools, but I've neglected this one and the Graves preformer. Since I've started faceting more lately, the preformer is beginning to seem like a good idea. It has a coarse wheel on it. I didn't understand that it was for profile only; it explains why it wasn't working too well! Operator error again.

Two of the seven wheels have visible coarse grit on them; the others seem very fine. Years ago I saw some sintered wheels that had profiles that were on some glass website; I may have even bookmarked them two or three computers ago. Tried a search earlier today but couldn't find any. I have 3 coarse grit (80 or so) new sintered wheels that are about 3/4" wide that I could use on this, but I have to find an adapter for them as the hole is 1".

Hope that you can help your daughter and son-in-law, it sounds awful. Thanks for your help.

Debbie
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 10:02:36 pm »

I have 3 coarse grit (80 or so) new sintered wheels that are about 3/4" wide that I could use on this, but I have to find an adapter for them as the hole is 1".

When you order these kind of diamond grinding wheels they always come with plastic bushings.  If I remember correctly, I did have to use them because the arbor was smaller than the hole in the grinding wheel..

You can order sets of plastic bushings that will cover all different arbor sizes.. https://tinyurl.com/ybccawyt

* abushing.jpg (22.39 KB, 469x405 - viewed 0 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:13 pm »

Wanted to also share this rare double Colbaugh set up.. 

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2018, 02:16:47 am »

I don't have but one of the templates that go with it, but thought maybe the ones from the Graves would work, if I could only find them...

Found these ů

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LAPIDARY-CABACHON-FORMING-TOOL-15-PIECE-CAM-SET-FOR-EASY-CABBING/292623671048?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:33 am »

Thanks George! I'll have to see if I can find mine for the Graves and I think the Tagit had some, too. If not, it's nice to know that they're gettable.

I found my sintered wheels can use the the adaptor like you showed, it's another one that is a ceramic with diamond that has a hole larger than an inch and those adaptors aren't easy to find. People give me odd things, some of them good, some not so good and these wheels are among them.

I appreciate the heads up.

Debbie
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website