Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:59:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Rock Tripping Locations- GPS, Directions, etc

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock Tripping Locations- GPS, Directions, etc  (Read 5218 times)
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:08 am »

Since we are all rockhounds, and we seem to be spread all across the USA, let us start sharing where we go, and what we find. GPS, directions, who to call for permission (if needed), and pictures of the area and our finds. Every bit of info helps us to not be on wild agate hunts.

A cut rock, is a happy rock, Dave
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bluesssman
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:52 am »

Hi Dave! I think we already have a thread started with the exact things you are suggesting. I agree with your ideas and look forward to learning from everyone...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:16 pm »

GPS for Teepee Canyon - N43*44.772' - H103*51.115' - ELEV 5729 ft. Directions are - when coming into Custer South Dakota on Hwy 385 from the south, you turn west on Hwy 16, go approximately 14 miles thru the Cave Monument, go by the trailhead for Hell Canyon, turn rt on Mud Springs road (marked as a Forest Service road), about one mile you will see a deep canyon on the right, with limestone bluffs on the other side. Unfortunately, there is no road to the bottom, so get out the pack, plenty of water, a hammer and chisels, and head on down. You will find an old trail leading to the bottom. All over the hillside on the way down is some red agate and jasper that is fractured up on most pieces, but some decent pieces to be found. In the bottom follow the trail down the canyon and be watching the limestone where they were getting nodules out. Check in those areas for more nodules. We found a few, but I was too tired to do much chiseling as we originally went up the canyon with absolutely no luck. There had been a forest fire a few years back and the tree tangles are a struggle. Lots of material, every where. Hauled a chunk of lavender colored jasper back up to the road and about 20 pounds of nodules and other pieces. It looks like nobody goes here anymore, since you can't drive down there. A couple of areas where you could see they where breaking up the finds. Picked up a 1934 license plate there. I believe with some time to prospect this would probably be a productive place.

* Nebraska vacation 2009 039.JPG (404.64 KB, 807x678 - viewed 67 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:06:15 pm »

Another location starting from the same intersection of Hwy 385, and go west on hwy 16, turn right on North Pole road, a Forest service road. In about a mile there is a schist ridge on your right. This was easy walking and looking for where the schist meets quartz. There are gemmy garnets there. We found many small garnets, and one large one. Unfortunately as I was chiseling it out, kerwang and the goes about a three carat garnet. It was getting dark, and never found a nother of this size. Easily, any place you go farther than a few feet off the road, you find more and bigger.
Sorry no pics.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:50 pm »

Fairburn agates are found north of the town of Crawford, NE. Take Hwy 71/2
north from Crawford. About 20 miles turn left on Sugar Loaf road. You are now on Oglala National Grassland. Get to section 31E and find the rocky areas. You can look for the fairburn agate here. Also found are prarie agate and the occasional Blue agate that is the rock of Nebraska. Petrified wood, jasper and agate abound in the rocky areas. The farther you go, the better material is to be found. Your eyes overload on all the material, which makes finding the fairburns harder. Great rock hunting place. Units 31W, 30N and 22A were our best places. Many gates are cattle guards, but the gates you have to open and close seem to have LOTS less usage. I have a map to scan, and will see if it can be posted

* cab &slab 001.JPG (107.31 KB, 339x315 - viewed 2684 times.)

* cab &slab 002.JPG (111.97 KB, 419x384 - viewed 56 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:23:11 pm »

Davis Creek Obsidian.
It is found in the North Eastern corner of California. Go up route 395 from Alturas for 20 miles to the town? of Davis Creek. Stop in at the gas station/store/restaurant and have a cup of coffee while you are filling out the free permit that the nice people there give you. They will also give you a map of the various locations to dig.
The permit says you can collect 6 buckets of Obsidian with hand digging tools. You can't uproot vegetation of go on any of the marked commercial claims. You can't barter or sell any of the material collected. It is for your personal use. The digging is rather easy. Take a rock hammer, shovel, mattock, DEFINITELY SAFETY GLASSES and a bucket of water. You can stop at Davis Creek and fill your bucket with water.
Bring the sunshine to help you see the color within the rock. Most pieces are fist size and larger, up to several pounds.
Davis Creek

The collecting area

My grandson starting to dig

A closeup of the bank that we were digging on

A chip off the tip of the piece seen sticking out of the bank in the previous photo

My grandson shooting his BB gun after he got tired of digging

A polished face on one of the pieces that I got

The back of the piece

The road out of the digging area

A photo of the rock shop just 10 miles North of the digging area

The rock shop owner was whining because the BLM wouldn't let him take power tools in to collect the material. He has to hand dig like the rest of us.
He did have a posted area just above where we were digging.
The material is abundant and there are many quality pieces to be found.
Bob
I'm working on a trip up there in early October if the rains hold off and my freind's shoulder heals up OK by then.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »

If you go to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro Arkansas, the chances of finding a diamond are slim, But if you start looking for agate you are in for a treat. Don't pick up the white ugly pieces, look for the dark seam agate banded with orange, white and red plus blue. It takes a high polish. Also, be on the lookout for amythystine, and some it wild swirls and plumes with an occasional fortification. Any way, a good place for $7 dollars a day. And you might find a diamond. Constant newspaper articles on 8 year old kids finding them.
Report Spam   Logged

stoneviews
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:01:28 am »

Hunting Red Jasper in the Mazatzal Mountian area, east of Payson Arizona.
If you like Red Jasper, you will love this place, some chuncks are six feet tall, and some have green Malachite viens running through them, if you go to this place, please take plenty of water and plan out your day or call me for a free guided tour.

* 100_0658.jpg (91.61 KB, 400x300 - viewed 2581 times.)

* 100_0659.jpg (89.77 KB, 300x400 - viewed 2543 times.)

* 100_0666.jpg (87.64 KB, 400x300 - viewed 2539 times.)

* 100_0670.jpg (178.38 KB, 824x618 - viewed 53 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:31:53 am »

Have a new trip for geodes and horn Coral. You go to Stockton Missouri. On east bound Hwy 32 (still in town) turn lt on J Hwy. Go about 2.5 miles to the third dirt road to your left. Start looking in the ditches, there are geodes (some with nice crystals, some taht are polish material, and others just plain ugly), horn coral that some can be sliced and polished, and coral colonies, that if solid can be polished. When you get to the first cross road, go left, the ditches are loaded with geodes. There are many small ones and they tumble polish nicely, kind of have a spider web design on the outside. Just drive around in this area, looking in the ditches, and if you see someone working on a fence ask if they know of any property you can hunt on. Likely they will tell you where, and tell you, for every rock on the road you pick up, you need to take 5 off their property! Our club went there last Saturday, and everybody went home with as much as they wanted.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:28:37 pm »

Made a minor mistake on the Stockton MO geode trip. Once you get on J hwy, It is the second dirt rd, PAST the river bridge. drive around mostly northwesterly, and you will see the white geodes along the road. Two years ago, one of our members found a near perfect arrowhead. I really like the horn coral for cabachons and geode halves polish nicely. My wife used one as a card holder in her office for a couple of years, was shaped like a volcano.
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 05:25:03 am »

Dave:)
Will you please show me some of that horn coral?
Thank you,
Sara
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
elegantcabs
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 05:57:32 am »

If anyone has Google Earth, www.earth.google.com, download this from online........go into the app, and there is a bar at the top left that says "fly to".........copy and paste this in there and see what you get.....this is the gate at Graves Mountain in Georgia.....lets see if this works

33 44 40  N
82 31 52  W

copy and paste it just as is......no need to put the deg in etc..

George.....if this works, may wanna put a direct link on here somewhere....

Here are a few that I brought home..Irredescent Hematite and Pyrophyolite(sp)?
Got 3- 5 gal buckets of this stuff to bring out west when I MOVE BACK SOON!!!
AZ HERE I COME.....

* grave1.jpg (239.23 KB, 884x525 - viewed 78 times.)

* grave3.jpg (119.77 KB, 483x426 - viewed 49 times.)

* grave2.jpg (135.24 KB, 623x435 - viewed 59 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
elegantcabs
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:03:08 am »

33 1 42 N
81 34 45 W

This is where they are doing alot of tree removal with a D8.....Savannah River Chert/Agate in MAJOR abundance here.....great for you flintheads........This is an open area where you can literally pull your truck to the side,park, get out and collect in the road or just off the road. There is ALOT of Indian artifacts in the area so please be aware of the rules and regs regarding that......this chert/agate is prized by the yank's, i guess the buckskinners love it
Report Spam   Logged
elegantcabs
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 06:18:33 am »

30 3 29 N
83 54 8 W

Econfina River Drusy Coral area.......this stuff is literrally layin all over the ground......I have some very cool stuff from here..this piece probably weighs in at 40lbs....its just a specimen, but dam great conversation piece.......even found some calcified shells in here...

* movie1-1.jpg (299.66 KB, 850x689 - viewed 72 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
elegantcabs
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 07:20:42 am »

Google Earth.....
30 38 7 N
83 18 40 W

This stuff is easy to find in the River when the water is low and the gators are sleepin.....that means WINTER TIME........anywhere along the Withlachoochee and Suwanee River you can find this old time stuff where the river has cut deep into the ground........very cool shelf specimens and dam pricey from what I hear from the Quartzsite dudes....once again, this is an east coast thing......cant do much with it except cut it and throw er up on the shelf.....if it hard as hell and will eat a blade no doubt.....access anywhere along the rivers is pretty good, but if you have a canoe you have the potential of finding museum specimens EASILY...

* choo1.jpg (248.05 KB, 829x591 - viewed 60 times.)

* choo2.jpg (164.17 KB, 628x513 - viewed 57 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
azsavit
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 07:37:25 am »

Just an FYI... if you dont feel like downloading Google Earth, you can get much of the same functionality with Google Maps, which is just an online app. You copy and paste the numbers just the same (it accepts both decimal-notation and degree-minute-second notation).

Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 07:49:08 am »

Cool stuff. I have use3d both Google Earth and the Bing maps for locating road cuts and gravel pits, etc. for rockhunting. Just have never, paid any attention to the GPS co=ordinates. Thanks for the heads up!
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:39 am »

This is pretty darn cool... I just downloaded the newer 5.1 beta version..

Still looking around..

Going to merge this thread of yours Jeff with the ongoing GPS thread.. Just want to make sure the GPS locals you shared in this post don't end up getting pushed off into the forums archives.

I'm checking out the "sight seeing" and "my place" features..

Thinking how to best utilize all this within the forum...

Hmmmm.........  :)

Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 11:49:20 am »

Went with the Tahlequah, OK club on 10-24 to a site that had cabbable crinoids in a matrix. Going south on Hwy 62, from Tahlequah, next road to the left past hwy 10 south, you follow this road for about 2 miles till you come to the top of a hill with an abandoned two room school house. GPS is N 35*49.633* by W 095*00.258* . This is called Bald Hill, and in the ditches and the area between this Y, are a variety of fossils, including the crinoid type in matrix. But the best of what we found, with a little digging of the lower road and some hard type shale, were some fossil coral branches, up to 3 inches wide. One of the experts, said it wasn't cabbable. Aha, will post the picture of how it faced. Haven't cut it yet, just ground the flatest end off. We also, went to a water storage facility, to pick up blastoids (pentrimites). Every body had a good time,as there were members of the Tahlequah club, the Ada, Ok club, the Tulsa, Ok club, and us from our Northwest Arkansas club.
The first pic is bunch letting out their frustrations on the blastoid boulder, the second is the coral.
And, thanks to Joe Bunch from Tahlequah for leading the trip.

* field trip 003.JPG (177.59 KB, 453x284 - viewed 38 times.)

* cab&slab+coral 005.JPG (76.73 KB, 672x477 - viewed 50 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 02:17:32 pm »

The coral looks really interesting. Also very agatized ?
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »

Took a real nice polish, but kind of fast. So maybe something softer, but a few pockets on the end, so that could account for the fast polish. Will get some cut probably this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:41 pm »

Thank you for these !
Report Spam   Logged
Neural
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:55 pm »

I know I asked a bit ago about Alaska, but our plans have changed.  bricks

Any good locations in NorthWest North Carolina or that region?
We've done the whole emerald thing, which was ok, but am wondering about other minerals that might come in larger slab-able size pieces.

Thanks. :)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »

There are quite a few interesting looking things in Western South Carolina.

On the left hand side of this page many cool minerals broken up by County.

Report Spam   Logged
Stew
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »

we just got back from crater of diamonds park. Me and my wife picked up lots of cool agate. red and yellows. my favorite one so far is black with red streaking through. I was looking for diamonds while gathering agate. I got bored with the screening for little stuff, I wanted something to slab  dancer5. We had a cabin by the river and found lots of agate there too.

made these cabs from the red and black agate below   ura

* P6191652.JPG (349.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 23 times.)

* P6181643.JPG (359.21 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 13 times.)

* P7011665.JPG (319.18 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 19 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Stew:) I love that doggie:) And the river was so beautiful. I understand its hard to find Diamonds down there. But it sure would be nice to find a big ole rough diamond.
Thanks for sharing:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

Well is this the king of bad ass threads or what! How'd I miss this! Bookmarking...

Thank you Dave!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Stew
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 11:02:33 pm »

opps, the cab on the right is petiersite ( not found on this trip) the one on the left is the red and black agate. need to get stronger glasses  hide
Report Spam   Logged
bigdogpc
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 04:31:47 am »

Engle, NM small pieces of petrified wood, check the pull offs along the road and look close in the baked mud, pieces will be sitting on top.
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:44 am »

I'd forgot about this thread. Would be cool if we could ressurect some activity for it!
I haven't been rockhunting for a year. Last time we went, we wanderedn the backroads around Livingston and Crockett, Texas, looking for palm wood and actually found some! Sometimes getting in the right area and wandering and looking does generate some nice rocks.
Frank, you have tons of areas there in CO! That is where I grew up an d found pet wood in the alley along our hose in Denver. Used to sit out in the gutter picking up black sand with a magnet and now I wonder how much gold I left laying in the dirt gutter that is now paved over.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »

There's definitely fossils everywhere here. I can pick up a rock almost anywhere I go, drop it, and see old dead critters or plants. Pet is pretty common also - esp up in the Garden of the Gods area. Not sure what the type is - I'll have to dig some out (just a few slivers) and post for ID. Dicky told me of at least one place up in Old Colorado City where ammonites can be found (and kept) - need to get up and check that out. He said this whole area is a ... something ... zone (damn memory...) and all manner of nice rock can be found around here. I wish I was into this when I was a little younger - I was up hiking the mountains all the time. Now I dream about it more than do it. Oh - and black sand - ha ha - you can almost sort that without a magnet here.

Yes, it would be awesome to get this thread made useful. Maybe link into google maps (I know it can be done but not sure how) to make it easy to find things.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 07:40:35 pm »

Frank, I remember finding rocks wherever we went a along the front range and out into the plains. I remember finding quartz crystals to pet wood and even found a bison tooth one time. Guess that made me an old buffalo forever. lol
You are too far from Flourissant, so I guess all the fossils make sense. We live in a desert of crinoid fossils here and a brachiopod or two.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 08:58:19 pm »

Yah - the petrified forest up in Flourissant - can you believe I've never been! I would like go though.

I figure much of it must be the mountain range and what it drug up. There's places way up high there where ammonites can be found. Very cool in my mind - climb that high to find an ocean bed yes

We also have a lot of softer nodules of various colors (gray, pink, purple, white etc) just soft enough to carve with hardened steel files. Found a fossil in one (I'll dredge it out of my closet next time I move all my tubs away from the front of it and post a pic) that sort of halfway self-excavated itself when I broke the rock. Could be a worm or a plant - don't know.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Redwilder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 06:07:17 am »

Thought Id give this thread a bump in case anyone can help out. Does anyone have GPS info that they are willing to share whether in the thread or in PM regarding areas in the Pacific Northwest. Im in Spokane am wanting to do weekend warrior stuff in the field collecting throughout Washington down to central regon, and throughout the Idaho panhandle over into central Montana. Additionally, if any forum members want to get together for a weekend hunt, I would love to meet and hit the rocks :-)
Report Spam   Logged

Just because one wanders does not mean that one is lost....Some bumper sticker I saw in Moab, Utah
                          Ben Odum
             (Add to facebook if ya want)
sealdaddy
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 06:42:08 am »

Well is this the king of bad ass threads or what! How'd I miss this! Bookmarking...

Thank you Dave!
RIGHT...And makes me wish I had an RV, hauling a 4-wheel drive vehicle, to drive to all these places~!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 07:40:03 pm »

Don, I believe I may have to invest in a 4 wheel ATV. Sure could have used in Arizona this past winter!
Report Spam   Logged

sealdaddy
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:03 am »

Don, I believe I may have to invest in a 4 wheel ATV. Sure could have used in Arizona this past winter!
Right...Ya could go into town to get supplies and groceries with that too.
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:59 pm »

Question, does the Baker Ranch in New Mexico still allow hounds in to search for thunder eggs and geodes? I picked up an old stock cut egg not long ago and was wondering if the ranch has been closed or not.

So many places no longer allow folks in and I thought New Mexico might be a good place to try.

Thanks in advance.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

gemfeller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 12:45:44 am »

It appears there was collecting activity on the ranch as late as Sept. 26.  If you phone the contact listed you can probably get plenty of current info.  Happy hunting!

http://www.celebmtns.org/2015-events/2015/rock-hunting-at-baker-ranch
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 09:59:42 pm »

Cool, I thought it was only open during the Deming rock roundup.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum