General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 25, 2019, 11:54:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

How do I change the belt in my arbor?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I change the belt in my arbor?  (Read 983 times)
Bluesssman
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »

The gouges left by the pipe wrench just need to be brought down to the proper diameter.

Split ring pliers are used to hook into the two small holes and then spread the ring and remove. If the ring is rusted in place, you will have to break it out and clean the grove for the next ring.

I am not sure the hot and cold treatment will be successful. If it is extremely rusted, the added material built up by the iron oxide may limit the about of needed clearance created by the hot and cold treatment. Though it still might be worth a try.

George's idea of using tight fitting pipe is a good one.

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
redrockrods

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »

Success!

Ater a little PB, a sledge hammer and some chisels, I was able to get the frozen spacer off of the shaft. I then proceeded to file down the gouges left in the shaft by the pipe wrench, and lo and behold the shaft slid right out of the arbor, no problem. I paid home depot a visit after work and picked up pliers to remove those pesky locking rings. I also found a replacement for the one that I had broken. So far so good!  I still need to replace all of the grommets on the arbor, both those ones in the top of the arbor for the water hoses and the big ones that fit around the arbor shaft. The small ones I think I can find at the hardware store, but I'm not so sure about the other.  I'll also need to get a couple 2.5" pulleys to outfit this unit with so I can get it back to OEM specs. I do have two 4" pulleys now, but I can't find a belt small enough to drive them with locally.

Question: can you cut down a belt and super glue it back together?
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 10:18:05 pm »

You won't have any luck cutting a v-belt and trying to glue it. You might want to go to an automotive parts store for your belt. They have many different sizes. Glad it is going better for you. I look forward to seeing your unit when you are finished!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
redrockrods

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 10:35:05 pm »

Auto part store! why didn't I think of that? I'll try there for a belt. Thanks Gary.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 10:37:40 pm »

Alright !!

Glad your getting it !  :)
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:34 am »

new problem!

I've got the arbor re-assembled with the new 4" pulleys and belt, but when I loaded my two grinding wheels and expando drums and turned the unit on, it proceeded to "dance" all over my counter top and I had to shut it off quickly. I took off half of my wheels and drums and the "dancing" is less severe. the unit doesn't move at all when there are no wheels or drums installed.  I can't fasten the unit down to the counter in any kind of permenent fashion...I was counting on the weight of the unit itself to keep it from moving around. Any ideas what could cause this?

Also, George I saw the *other* thread, not sure what to make of it, did't know any drama was going on in this one. Thanks for keeping this one clean.
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 12:02:57 pm »

Let me see if I have this right. If there are no wheels on the unit it does not vibrate? The obvious thing is wheels out of balance, however, I wonder if the arbor shaft is ever so slightly bent that when the wheels are added they amplify the problem. If you do not have a dial indicator to measure shaft run out, I would suggest taking a very long pencil and running the machine without any wheels. While holding the pencil at one end, lay the other end on the shaft. If the shaft is perfectly straight the pencil will feel smooth to your fingers. If the shaft is bent at all, you will feel the difference. Try this and get back to me!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 04:30:08 pm »

I have the exact same problem with my multi wheel unit. Have not ever tried running it without any wheels to see if it does not vibrate like it does with the wheels on.

I placed a padded material under the whole unit. That helped just a bit, but not much.

Some of the expando drums are not perfect, so thinking that may be part of the problem..

If the unit does not vibrate at all without the wheels, I would probably take the time to put one back on at a time and see what that might tell.

Now that you have pointed this out, I may well give this a whirl on mine and see what happens.

Also, the motor on mine is bolted to the unit rather than separate. Maybe something about the motor is causing some vibration. Might have been able to mount the motor behind the unit on the bench ??

Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »

My motor is riveted onto the back of the arbor and some of the rivets are loose...I bet this is is causing an problem as well.

Gary I'll get back to you on the arbor shaft. I've been away on vacation fishing and didn't have a chance to try your suggestion.
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 10:40:23 pm »

Well, I think I've got the big issues sorted out now.  I re-riveted the motor to the back of the arbor and there is no longer any loose connections there. 

Gary, I tried the pencil trick, everything felt fairly smooth to me, although I might be doing it wrong. do you hold the pencil at one end and lay the body of it along the spinning arbor shaft? I don't get any vibrations when running the unit with no wheels.

I bought box of 3/4" washers to use as spacers and replaced all of the old plastic spacers that were being used previously. Then I loaded my wheels to the unit one at a time. The problem wheels seem to be the ones mounted on the edges of the shaft, and the grinding wheels in particular seem to cause more vibration than the expando drums.  I've got everything configured now to minimize the vibrations and the arbor no longer dances around on the table, but there is still some vibration going on. I bet the shafts are bent slightly, or some of the wheels are unbalanced.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with everything at the moment. Now that the drums are spinning up to speed, the drums expand and the belts stay in place! This alone should make cabbing much easier. I would like to eventually work out the remaining vibrations, but I think the good folks at home depot are tired of seeing me in the store every half hour! I have a lot more tools now...

Big thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread!
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

Very glad things are working better for you. I look forward to seeing your cabs!!!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:22:42 pm »

That was quite a project.. Glad your up and running !  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Wayne the Shrink
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 07:48:51 am »

Congratulations for getting it done.  I need to do one, too, and old poilshing head with too much vibration.   I'm just getting set up to start cabbing but have been doing woodwork and handiwork for years.  The guys at the local hardware store know me by name.  LOML thinks that's kinda cute. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website