General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 18, 2019, 04:56:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

What about materials with a metallic appearance ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What about materials with a metallic appearance ?  (Read 6583 times)
Taogem
Administrator

« on: June 27, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »

Note: This thread started out titled metallic type minerals. theImage1 (Ron) enlightened us about how the majority of minerals posted are in fact not true metals, but offer metallic appearances.

So the title has changed to the present "What about materials with a metallic appearance".

Just so your not confused as you read through..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Most recently we have seen quite a few Chrysocollas, and then the Serpentine with Chromite.

I bet there are a lot of really interesting mineral combination's out there. Sometimes when I am thumbing through eBay and wonder just how some would polish out.

I would sure like to be schooled on more of these cabbing minerals with various metals mixed in. 

Anyone have any experiences with and maybe pics of some interesting and unique ones ?

Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:22:37 pm »

I might have too many to list, but here is the first.

I'm guessing Pyrite in calcite.

I don't know.

I thought this one was brick from a copper foundry but the copper runs in seams and there is some hard agate among other things. I actually found the name at one time but have since forgotten it. I will look it up again soon./// found it!
Kingston Conglomerate Copper

I just thought I would share.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »

Thanks for sharing these Tam..

Ya know.. you gave me a piece of the one with the copper.. I cabbed it and wanted to show, but can not get the copper flakes to show up in a picture..

Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »

I cabbed it and wanted to show, but can not get the copper flakes to show up in a picture..

I'll try to get a picture of mine tomorrow..  BTW, That stone is Kingston Conglomerate Copper. "It comes from the Kingston Mine, located on the Keweenaw peninsula in the upper peninsula of Michigan." I guess the mine has been closed since 1967.

George, I thought I gave you a piece of the one in the center..  I was wondering if you cabbed it yet?
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:49:56 pm »

George, I thought I gave you a piece of the one in the center..  I was wondering if you cabbed it yet?

I will also try another go around with taking a pic of the Kingston Conglomerate Copper..

Will have to go hunting in the garage to see if I have some of the second pic.. I took everything out of the cigar box.. Have to look.. Will cab one up if I have it..   :)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:56:20 pm »

This was the best I could do. You can barely see some of the copper flakes where the light is reflecting...

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:41 am »

Ok, here are a few more I found.. Tam gave me all but the Binghamite. I could not find one that resembles the one pic Tam..

Binghamite that has Hematite in the mix..

Then these three, I do not know.. Not sure if you knew and told me Tam.. If not, maybe someone can help ID these ?

This first unknown I started to cut out a preform, but quickly realized that what ever the metallic is was much softer than the unknown pick mineral.. Just did not feel like dealing with the undercutting. I think will try a cab of just the metallic and see how it turns out.

I really wanted to cab one from the third image down, but can't get around some fractures. I think those metallic streamers would be pretty nice looking polished.

Paid a lot for the Binghamite, and it is just so darn fractured, but now that I am on a metallic roll will at least try to get a small one to see how it turns out..

None of the metallic areas on any of these except for the Binghamite' Hematite are magnetic.

Can't tell from the pic, but the dark spotted areas on this are metallic..

Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:13:00 am »

The first of the three which is Pinkish to me, looks like Rhodonite with Marcasite or Chromium.  The second looks like a Quartz with veins of Silver, Nickel, Pyrite, or something else, maybe even Gold.  Glad you started this thread, I was going to start a new one with some Metallics that I have.  So here goes.  I am including a pic of two cabs and two slabs.   They are very similar if not the same.  The slab and cab on the left are one stone and the ones on the right are the other.  One is from the US and one is from Canada.  Does anyone care to guess?  I will answer in a bit, would just like to see if anyone has a good name for them.  There is some disagreement between the dealers and others as to what they are and what they are made of, so I would not like to influence anyone.  So please, guess away or if you know, please tell us.  Mark

* what is it - 2 different stones n cabs.JPG (246.06 KB, 2133x1114 - viewed 76 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:31:43 am »

Here's a pic I found of Quartz with Gold, very nice.  Unlike my pic of my cabs and slabs, this is really nice White Quartz.  My metallic slabs consists of a dingy grayish quatz that sometimes is more White than others.  Do my slabs have Gold in them?  I don't know.  The metallic veins could be Pyrite, Nickel, Silver, Gold, Calcopyrite, or a mix of some of these metals.  I have noticed that sometimes the metal looks very golden and other times it is more silvery and sometimes even has a metallic greenish cast to it.  I have seen Gold that also seems to have a greenish cast, is that from Fluorescent lights or is it natural?  Mark

* Gold in Quartz 1.JPG (39.18 KB, 525x326 - viewed 66 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:22:15 am »

I thought that the pink might be Rhodonite at first too.. It may well be, but was quite a bit harder than Rhodonite I have cabbed before..

For the one we are going to guess on... About how hard is it ?
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:18 am »

The first of the three which is Pinkish to me, looks like Rhodonite with Marcasite or Chromium.  The second looks like a Quartz with veins of Silver, Nickel, Pyrite, or something else, maybe even Gold. 

Before this is all said and done, I will probably be looking for some chemicals for testing these various metals.. I really would like to know if something is silver, or Nickel..  same with Pyrites, Gold, and even Copper..

Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:48:22 am »

George I have to agree with you, I also was thinking about chemical testing though I have no experience and wouldn't be to thrilled if I had to use Arsenic or something like that.  They do use Arsenic to test or more likely in the processing of the gold, right?  When i look at the metallics in stone, they mostly look like Silver or Gold to me, but so does most of the others except for Copper.  For my slabs, they are reasonably hard.  For one thing they are Quartz which is like a 7 or 7.5 on the Hardness scale.  I don't remember the metal being soft but since there is mostly Quartz, that is what you notice while cabbing.  One of the stones is from OR for a hint.   I'm not sure I would expect anyone to really know anything about them.  The one from Canada, I got from one dealer who had info from the person they bought it from who had info from the Miner.  The name they gave it, doesn't hit anything of use on the Internet.  The other, I have only seen in 2 places in 5 years.  One dealer has a small slab from time to time, and I once saw a lump of it in one of the bigger (non-ebay) auction sites for specimens only.  That one actually matched a stone in Mindat.org or one of those sites, and i got some useful info on it.  I guess its an older lapidary stone and unless you were into this stuff 20 or 30 years ago and in OR, you wouldn't be familiar with it.  Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 12:14:41 pm »

Here's another one, I'll even identify this one.  This is Mohawkite and gets confused with the previous slab/cabs I posted.  They all tend to be quartz with some silvery/golden/or greenish metallic veins.  Mohawkite is a mixture of algodonite, domeykite, and arsenic-rich copper from the Mohawk Mine, Mohawk, Keweenaw Peninsula, MI.  This is by far the best Mohawkite I have seen, not that i have seen that much.  This slab has little Quartz and is mostly metallic.  Most Mohawkite I have seen is the other way around, they are mostly Quartz with some metallic character.  Mark

Report Spam   Logged

Mark

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:38 pm »

You shouldn't have gotten me going.  Here's Londonderry Gold Flash.   Its from western Washington's Cascade Mountains.  Its also called Listwaenite, a carbonated altered serpentine commonly associated with precious metal mineralization such as gold and silver.  Chemically its close to Muscovite, Magnesite, Galena, Pyrite, Shlerite, Chalcopyrite, and Tetralisite and is sometimes called Serpentinized Peridotite.  It contains Potassium, Calcium, Aluminum, among other things.  It has nice gold spots, which may be surprise, Gold!  There's another variety without the Gold spots and I forget its name.  Its more of a swirly patterned stone with the same colors minus the Gold.  By the way, I didn't take the pics, but it is my slab.  Mark

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:53:29 pm »

The colors are beautiful on both materials..

The metallic blue in the Mohawkite is really something though..  I bet a finished cab would be fantastic !

Even without seeing how it polishes out, it is my favorite of all the metallics shown so far..

I did a quick search and read from one site that it is not considered a mineral but is a combination of copper arsenates with Nickel and Cobalt. Then another site talked about the how the crystals are similar to the Domekite you mentioned.

Really great that you have so many different metallic minerals to share.. I am really enjoying this thread and look forward to more pics !!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website