General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 25, 2019, 01:43:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Old Frantom Combination, the One that got away.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Frantom Combination, the One that got away.  (Read 32 times)
Downwindtracker2

« on: February 08, 2019, 04:52:31 pm »

At Quartzite this year I found a old Frantom combination 10" saw and 3 position 8" grinder/polisher. Idaho rock shop?? had it. Since I  had just finished restoring an early Frantom polisher/grinder, I was intrigued . It came with the factory stand and cabinet. It was both interesting and nicely done. 1/2 of the sawblade had completely rusted away so I'm sure it would need some work, chuckle. But however, he  was asking $300 and I was only willing to go $150, with that amount of spread, there was no use in bargaining. It was fun looking it over.

There was no pressing need,I had already picked up two Poly arbors, a D14 and a big 10" with 2" guards, so we didn't need anymore arbors and the wife already had a old Loritone 10" saw. I would think separate  arbors would be easier to work.  But they weren't without work as well, two hoods and four trays. My wife's comment, you can make them out of aluminum and practice you welding.

Report Spam   Logged

A man of foolish pursuits

Ray

redrockrods

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 05:01:59 pm »

At Quartzite this year I found a old Frantom combination 10" saw and 3 position 8" grinder/polisher. Idaho rock shop?? had it. Since I  had just finished restoring an early Frantom polisher/grinder, I was intrigued . It came with the factory stand and cabinet. It was both interesting and nicely done. 1/2 of the sawblade had completely rusted away so I'm sure it would need some work, chuckle. But however, he  was asking $300 and I was only willing to go $150, with that amount of spread, there was no use in bargaining. It was fun looking it over.

There was no pressing need,I had already picked up two Poly arbors, a D14 and a big 10" with 2" guards, so we didn't need anymore arbors and the wife already had a old Loritone 10" saw. I would think separate  arbors would be easier to work.  But they weren't without work as well, two hoods and four trays. My wife's comment, you can make them out of aluminum and practice you welding.

Tony @ Idaho Rock Shop is a good guy, his equipment is usually pretty competitively priced. I've seen HP versions of those combination units with stand and cabinet go for much more. Good pickups on the poly arbors, they're usually worthwhile investments.
Report Spam   Logged

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »

Yeah, we talked a fair bit about rebuilding machines. Thanks for giving his address, someone else could have chance for a fine machine. It wasn't his price ,rather my project enthusiasm was the limiting factor. I still thought about it for a couple of days afterwards. It could be special. I picked up a 2ton arbor press today, one of the Polys needs a new belt, his recommendation on Poly arbors. And where do you think those Nova/Galaxy wheels for the arbors came from ? I was once told it's a good practice to give your wife diamonds.
Report Spam   Logged

A man of foolish pursuits

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website