General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 13, 2018, 03:27:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Gem Cutting Software / Programs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gem Cutting Software / Programs  (Read 49 times)
Taogem
Administrator

« on: December 03, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »

Going to give Michaels imperial rhodonite a whirl.  I know it is not crystal like most people facet, but I think it is special material that is plenty fine grained enough for a successful first attempt at faceting.

If I understand correctly, I should get the piece of rough cut down close to the desired shape/size, which will be a tapered baguette.  Then preferably take that rough length, width and height and enter it into some kind of gem cutting software/program to obtain the exact cutting diagram dimensions for a tapered baguette that can then be digitaly entered into the faceting machine..

So a couple questions..

Do any members here have such a software program, or can recommend a free one online ?  I have searched but no luck specifically for tapered baguette cuts.

The club I am a member of does have some members that facet, so I have acess to some faceting machines. But I get the impression by watching them that they are manually mathematically calculating their cuts/angles.  I would really like to be able and know the exact and correct cutting diagram dimensions prior to setting up.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated..
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 12:25:19 am »

I downloaded a program called GemCad

Here is closest design ( 12.001 Baguette L/W=20 ) I could find for a baguette, but it is rectangular shaped.  Spent some time this evening trying to figure it out, but appears way above my pay grade to be able and enter any of the information from the shown 12.001 Baguette L/W=20 design into the GemCad program.

If I could figure that out, it might let me adjust the design so can create a desired "tapered shaped" baguette but only with a crown and girdle.

Because the rhodonite is not clear but opaque, no pavilion is desired as it is only useful for light returning in clear material.

I think may be in over my head  hide

Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:15:44 am »

Sorry. I used to have it on a computer years ago, but never got good at using it.

I would go back to the clubhouse and ask who uses it; you'll be surprised. Some of the older farts I know have really embraced GemCad. Even if they don't use it that much, many knew how.

Don't start with anything you can't easily replace. Faceting has a way of whittling rough down in an appalling way.

Debbie
Report Spam   Logged
Brightongemstones

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 02:34:20 am »

http://www.facetdiagrams.org/cgi-bin/showmatches.py?shape=00&code=&name=tapered&designer=&reference=&year=&gear=&lbyw=&hbyw=&volfrac=&days_old=&nppg=20
Some tapered designs here
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:43:16 am »

Thank you John, and yes I saw those... Here is one I found on that site after searching "keystone" that shows the girdle and crown closer to what I am shooting for..

Turns out Debbie was right.. There is indeed a club member that uses GemCab. After spending some time with him last night decided to go ahead and cut out a preform. Slowly getting on track.. 

Report Spam   Logged

SSA

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:46 am »

This is me just being curious...

Are you looking to do all the pavilions for practice, cause I don't think it's gonna do much for you with the stone you're looking to use.

The "Note to me..." - are the grit stages on a facet polish the same as wet wheel/grinder polish
Report Spam   Logged

Robert
Taogem
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:47:03 am »

This is me just being curious...

Are you looking to do all the pavilions for practice, cause I don't think it's gonna do much for you with the stone you're looking to use.

The "Note to me..." - are the grit stages on a facet polish the same as wet wheel/grinder polish

No, I am not going to do any pavilion.. Just a girdle, and crown.

The note to me about pre-polishing was suggested to me elsewhere online. 

The grits on the facet pads are quite a bit higher than the normal, 80 through 600/800  that I usually limit myself to.  Yes, there are cabbing belts than run into the thousands, but I have never used them.

So I am not really sure what to make of the comment from him, but when I mentioned pre-polishing to the club member, he said absolutely..  That is all I really know.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website