General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 22, 2019, 01:10:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Alterations to a Lortone 8"x4 arbor with Saw table

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alterations to a Lortone 8"x4 arbor with Saw table  (Read 366 times)
quattrocchi

« on: January 10, 2016, 02:10:42 am »

Our arbor came with a simple saw table. Here's the set-up in our jewellery workshop.
I have been using this to slab lapis, chrysoprase and NZ nephrite jade. However it er, has its limitations. Main one is the angle - I keep running into the washer on the spindle.
I pulled it apart and decided on a plan to make it more flat ... and then adapted the aluminium table so it sits lower.
I did this today (Sunday) so tomorrow I'll have a go at using it.

The saw blade rotates so that it drives down on the stone.
Do you think the angle of the saw as I've arranged it will cause any problems?
Meanwhile I'm going through all the posts on making doublets, and now I want to get my hands on some basenite for my mosaics.

* 00 before (1) 800px.jpg (36.93 KB, 800x449 - viewed 9 times.)

* 00 before (2) 800px.jpg (42.51 KB, 800x533 - viewed 4 times.)

* 01 new plan (1) 800px.jpg (42.05 KB, 800x533 - viewed 5 times.)

* 02 NEW flat table (2) 800px.jpg (43.48 KB, 800x533 - viewed 4 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Brian
b u s h  j e w e l l e r y  s t u d i o
www.adam.co.nz

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:10:44 am »

Should be no worries about the saw blade grinding through your rough. The point where the blade first contacts the rough isn't changed much at all.

You've almost doubled the thickness you can slice already. If your overhead fitting keeps the blade cool enough you can drop that table even more than what you have shown here.

If you had a pan under there used as a reservoir for saw blade coolant you'd only need it to be deep enough to cover the rim plus maybe another 6-7 mm. For slabbing, I like a saw blade that dips into coolant just to help with blade life.
Report Spam   Logged

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:54:55 am »

Thought of this after posting. I still have the Inland bought on a whim as my first machine. Only use it for a trim saw now. Quit using the Inland blades in favor of better quality ones. Inland blades are 1/2" (12mm) larger diameter, so using the smaller diameter blades changed the angle the blade contacts the rough just like what you're doing. It works fine.

If you ever put a reservoir pan under there for extra cooling/lubrication, I also modified the Inland so it works as a reservoir instead of just relying on the overhead drip. Cleaned the table where the blade comes up in the back and put a piece of duct tape across the slot. It helps to keep the spray down and the water level in the reservoir up.

Yes, I did say duct tape - so now you can have a good laugh and disregard all this if you wish.

Happy Cutting!
Report Spam   Logged

quattrocchi

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:52:19 pm »

Thanks for your useful comments, including the duct tape!
Yes, I also thought that where the blade first contacts the rough isn't changed much. If this works out I'll get a man at a steel firm to make me a st/steel version, perhaps with bracing each side of the slot, and a captured nut sort of situation to screw down an adjustable guide.

The drip from above is more of a jet stream, as I have a sort of fine needle device to cut my mans pressure water feed from full-on down to a tiny drip (for some other uses). So for slabbing I get a bit wet, as does the floor. This arbor probably can't use a reservoir system, and anyway I prefer to spray plain water around the place.

I wondered about what's a Inland! til I looked up Inland lapidary. Thanks for that link. 

Report Spam   Logged

Brian
www.adam.co.nz
vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 08:30:14 pm »

Glad you have plenty of water supply to the blade. I was thinking of a reservoir pan just under the saw only. Set inside the main pan for the unit so only the blade would use it. My wife has lots of fun laughing at how I'm always "engineering" new things... .
Report Spam   Logged

quattrocchi

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 08:43:00 pm »

Thanks Vince. VERY good idea about the separate reservoir pan for the saw only. Why didn't I think of that!
"I engineer things therefore ..." as the saying goes.
Report Spam   Logged

Brian
www.adam.co.nz

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website