General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 24, 2019, 01:41:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

New from N California

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New from N California  (Read 595 times)
guest3478
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 08:48:25 am »

you can probably make a template with a 6x6 square drawing a line from corner to corner and make a hole in the center big enough to put a pencil or sharpie tip through and make a center mark.

your slabochon creation is interesting.
I bet you could make a larger one to hold planter pots also. cool idea!

That ebay & etsy and buying slabs gets expensive. I sold one of my rifles and bought a combination saw unit to make my own litle slabs, but that wasnt good enough i had to sell other things and get a 20 inch saw lol
Report Spam   Logged
Lex

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:46 am »

Welcome from the Netherlands.

Lex
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 08:21:48 am »

Steve:

If you're tired of the expense of the diamond drill bits, you could try either copper or brass tubing with diamond grit and oil.

Here's what I do: I saw a piece of tubing to a convenient length and on one end I score the end by cutting across it 2 to 3 times with the saw. I also saw a piece of rod that fits inside the tubing about 1/2" shorter than the tubing. This is to keep the tubing from collapsing when you tighten it up in the drill jaws. If I wasn't so lazy I'd solder this piece of rod inside the tube at the top away from the scored end, but if it's slipping too much you can use a little super glue to hold it where it should be.

Since you have a drill press, insert the tubing with the scored end pointing down. I start a divot in the rock with a ball bur so it will hold a little oil and diamond grit and I start drilling. I use a toothpick to move the grit and oil back into the hole occasionally and also check the end of the tubing as the "teeth" will wear down. When they do, I re-score them. I  also will add oil and grit occasionally as the grit breaks down. It doesn't take much oil or diamond.

I read about this many years ago, but thought it wouldn't work that well so I used commercial bits for years. I finally had a piece of rock I was trying to drill that was too thick to drill with commercial bits and gave this a try and was amazed how well it worked. Most hobby shops and some hardware stores carry the copper or brass tubing and rod, I think it's made by K&B. You can make a dozens of these for the cost of a few of the commercial ones. If I were smart, I'd make several at once so it wouldn't slow me down when they need to be re-scored.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP! If you are using a long piece of tubing make sure to leave the bit in the rock when you turn the drill off or on. The tubing has a tendency to collapse without the support of the rock and will bend.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website