Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 08:51:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Pudding stones/jasper conglomerates...help!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pudding stones/jasper conglomerates...help!  (Read 313 times)
stdenis_jd

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »

I love these stones...I've worked on quite a few lately and have had a difficult time getting rid of all the pits/cracks caused by the general nature of the stone. They're basically coarse grained sand with Jasper/Hematite/quartz chunks mixed in that are sedimentary, but have metamorphosed and cemented together. Problem is, the bonds still create small grooves and pits and are extremely difficult to get rid of.

I've seen plenty of specimens around different shops and online, so I know it's possible to get rid of them and have a nice, smooth shine, just no idea how ppl do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I have tried hotstuff and ProtectaClear for coatings for them, and the hotstuff just peels off and the PC does a good job but doesn't get rid of the grooves/pits. I'm able to get a nice shine with CeO2 on the smooth sections so I know I'm at least doing something right lol
Report Spam   Logged

Jeff from Michigan

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:14:39 pm »

Know that feeling. I recently saw an article on how to use hot stuff, probably in Rock & Gem. I am willing to bet you are not using the hot stuff correctly. I have had horrible results with it myself. After reading the correct way to use it I need to try it again. Maybe someone else can help out here that has had success with hot stuff. It is a multi-step process that has to be done right. It is not like 2 part epoxy.
Report Spam   Logged

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »

Here is the link to my tutorial:

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,6467.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

stdenis_jd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:01:40 am »

@55fossil: yeah, you're right...I didn't use heat at all, and certainly didn't try a vacuum chamber Haha...I also probably didn't let it cure long enough either.

@Michael: thanks! That Hxtal looks pretty easy to use actually. Quite expensive but would probably last me a year or two. Might have to try it out...
Report Spam   Logged

Jeff from Michigan
stdenis_jd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:02:30 am »

Here's one of the pieces I made...took a good polish, the ProtectaClear helped a little bit, but the cracks....ugh...you guys think the hxtal will do the trick?

oh, I guess I can't post photos...here's the link (I tried posting as img/img but didn't work...)

(Uploaded your picture for you - click on Additional Options below, left to upload a photo.  I think your photos have to be public on your hosting site to get the code to paste to link pictures.)

* 20151218_080816_23199495134_o.jpg (141.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 9 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Jeff from Michigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum