General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 20, 2019, 02:50:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

First new completed piece in a long time...

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First new completed piece in a long time...  (Read 622 times)
Debbie K

« on: October 30, 2015, 12:54:07 pm »

As some of you know, I nicked my right index finger a while back and had to rest for quite a while. It was easier to carve than do metalwork, so I haven't finished anything in a long time.

I was hoping to enter this in the Saul Bell contest, which ends today, but the metalwork isn't good enough, and trust me, it really isn't. But I think it's a pretty good concept piece, considering how many fiascoes I had along the way.

It measures 5" tall x 2" wide by 3" deep. From top to bottom; carved tigereye dagger, sterling silver hilt with Herkimer diamonds and peridots and rutilated quartz, sterling silver stand with peridots, carved citrine face with sterling silver and yellow sapphires, green tourmaline crystals and Herkimer diamonds with peridots, with a tiny zincite crystal on top like a crown.

The face with the gemstones is detachable from the hilt and the rutilated quartz by means of a spring mechanism that is inside the tube that the bail is on.

This is far and away the most complicated piece I have ever done. The hair and backing plate was cast and everything else was fabricated. I even made the faceted stone settings, and each tourmaline crystal got faceted on the end.

Originally, I tatted a lace collar that was attached to the backing plate and cast. It was too fragile and not polishable, so I ended up ripping it off. The ruff is the second thing I made to go on the piece, and I'm not real happy with it.

This thing has hundreds of solder joints on it and was a real challenge. I learned a lot from making it and hope to up my game next year.

Debbie K

* point of no return.jpg (668.17 KB, 948x1412 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:47:50 pm »

That's quite majestic and mystical, Debbie.................WOW................ clapper clapper clapper
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

southerly

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »

Great to see you back creating work again Debbi, amazing work as always.

David
Report Spam   Logged
Debbie K

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:12:31 pm »

Thanks, you guys. It felt good to be working again, but I had another unfortunate event right as I was finishing this up. My dying cat bit the heck out of my right wrist and I now have an infection. If it's not one thing, it seems it's another.bricks

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 06:41:11 pm »

Thanks, you guys. It felt good to be working again, but I had another unfortunate event right as I was finishing this up. My dying cat bit the heck out of my right wrist and I now have an infection. If it's not one thing, it seems it's another.bricks

Debbie K

Cat scratch fever...............................smoking1 smoking1 smoking1
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

lithicbeads

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »

I have a coonhound so I am in no danger from cats. Your evocative  face carvings are very special.Very nice to see you back at it.
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 01:57:20 am »

Wow! I truly can't even picture how you got all those solder joints to stay put each time you added another. You must be a magician because that is one magical piece. Beautiful!
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 04:15:26 am »

Great to have you back, and with such an elaborate work to top it off.
Is there a link to see more perspectives of this fabulous creation?

Heal quickly, wanna see more of your work...... lol
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
wyrock

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 04:30:06 am »

WOW.

It takes a while to look at that and you did it while wounded!!!!!! You are a special kind of artist.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
55fossil

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 06:46:54 am »

How about double WOW. 

I am really impressed with your stone faces, the carving is unique and so flawless. Would it be possible to see more pictures of this piece with some close ups????   please   The metal work around the head and the face itself would be really nice to see better.
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:16 am »

Debbie --  ****FAINTS*****

There are no words.   yes
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
Debbie K

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »

Thanks for all the kind words. It means a lot.

Took some more pictures; they turned out dark but they show more details.

The side view shows a little more detail of how the pendant fits on the dagger hilt and the rutilated quartz, the dagger shot shows the peridots and herkimers. The tiger eye blade is held in place by a tube rivet which goes through under the peridots on the side. I also used epoxy and the gallery wire to secure it. The rutilated quartz is held by epoxy and the gallery wire which is secured by tiny screws; you can see the nuts on the underside.

The last picture is of the stand which has an angled top.

If I get better photos I'll take these down and put up new ones.

Debbie K

* web-pendant.jpg (147.51 KB, 1064x1026 - viewed 9 times.)

* web-side.jpg (108.52 KB, 1064x1600 - viewed 9 times.)

* web-dagger.jpg (134.43 KB, 1396x663 - viewed 12 times.)

* web-stand.jpg (47.44 KB, 887x1081 - viewed 7 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 08:55:48 pm »

You do have courage to embark on such a complicated endeavor especially because you are experienced enough to know what you are getting into. I'm glad you did , thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

55fossil

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:32:31 am »

Freaking incredible.    I am happy just cutting nice cabochons and then I see this and it does inspire me. Learning how to do the metal fabrication is one thing that is possible. But being able to have the vision to think up pieces like this is not something you can just learn. And the carving skills to do those faces.... you are blessed and talented.
Report Spam   Logged

Debbie K

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »

My husband says that my reach exceeds my grasp, and I think he's right.

You know, I've mentioned this before and I think it bears repeating. I have no visualization ability. I start with one thing; in this case it was the tiny cluster of zincite crystals, and thought how they looked like a crown, and then carved a face to go with them. Then I start moving things around, crystals, rocks and colors, to see what looks good with it. I never know what they're going to look like until I make them.

I so envy people who have an idea that they can "see" in their mind's eye. It would save me so much work if I could do the same. I can't tell you guys how many times I go down a path that is not a good one, and if I could see where it was going I wouldn't bother.

I would never been able to make this piece without my little Orca torch. I used a big Bernzomatic for years and would not have been able to solder the prongs and other parts without melting or de-soldering other parts. I also got a really cool tool, a GRS Benchmate, and the soldering third hands are unbelievably good. The clamps actually stay where you put them and don't move once you start soldering. Sometimes the right tools really do make all the difference.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
domdeslagons

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 07:21:12 pm »

dancer5 well for one who don't "see", you do pretty well!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website