Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 21, 2022, 07:13:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Buying a CABBING Machine

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a CABBING Machine  (Read 1432 times)
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 06:14:08 pm »

E-mail me if you like and I will give you a price on a Genie with the upgraded baseboard.
Report Spam   Logged

Amethyst Rose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 08:58:48 am »

I have never used a Cab-King but have had my Genie for 28 years now.  I do recommend the upgraded marine plywood base for the Genie as the particle board ones simply don't last.  I have reconfigured my Genie to meet my preferences for cutting.  I have an 80 grit sintered wheel and a 220 sintered in place of the standard plated wheels that come with the Genie.  I have been using the sintered wheels for 4 years with no appreciable slowing in the cutting and I cut several thousand cabs a year, mostly agate.  Next I have 60, 280, 600 and 1200 Nova wheels.  The 60 grit nova allows me to removed grinding scratches and flat spots very quickly and also works for shaping jade and charoite which hate being cut on any type of metal/diamond wheel.  The rest are pretty standard but I also have a second arbor shaft with 3000, 8000, 14000 and 50000 wheels if I need to use them to get the best polish on the material I am working on.

Good luck with whatever machine you decide on and happy cutting!

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

come see us at the 2016 Agate Expo in Cedarburg Wisconsin
Report Spam   Logged
55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 10:29:40 am »

I just replaced the complete air pump on my Diamond Genie, $145.  Being over ten years old that is $14 a year and probably a couple cents or less per cabochon. In my book that is cheap for the work I get out of it. The new pump is much quieter and I am really pleased with the Genie.
    Also, it only took 30 minutes to replace the pump. It would have been faster if my fingers worked better. It came with new hoses and a new drive belt as well.
Report Spam   Logged

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 10:46:18 am »

I would like to add a comment about buying a used Genie on  EBAY.  I have had several students buy used Genie machines and they have typically paid from $800-$900. range plus shipping. If a machine has been sitting and not used for several years, the  first thing to blow is the capacitor. If the pump has not been oiled and used, you are looking at another hundred bucks although I would replace it with an aquarium pump.  Add a couple of three wheels and you are right back up to where you could have purchased a new machine. I advise students to network in clubs and if they can drive and SEE a Genie and test it before buying then it is a good option.  I have found two of my students barely used Genies from folks nearby who contacted me for help in selling a machine. I had a student e-mail me last night who told me that she had just purchased a new Genie, unused in the box for  $1200.00 which is a very good deal especially since the price included freight.  This is an extremely rare  find. and not typical of what I would expect to find on EBAY.   If anyone is interested in a new Genie send me a private message.
Report Spam   Logged

catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 03:08:34 pm »

I am not sold on the upgraded baseboard, I have sold a couple of genies with the upgraded baseboards but they are still plywood and still have the same problems after being wet for a few years. If I were to get myself a new one I would buy the regular one and then get a piece of Corian to replace it with, it will never fall apart due to being wet. Makes for a lifetime baseboard.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
zarguy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 12:58:50 pm »

Genie & Cab King are the 2 machines everybody knows, but check out the EZ Cab made by a company in Orem, Utah.
http://www.simpleelegancerockshop.com/machine.htm

There are several advantages over the other 2 machines:

8" wheels
Lots of space between wheels
2 speed motor
Stainless steel construction
2" wide resin wheels
Overhead water delivery
$1700

Lynn
Report Spam   Logged
catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 01:24:58 pm »

The EZ Cab is a good machine also. I am a distributor for them also. They do use chinese wheels and the last time I talked to them you had to provide your own drip system, they were working on getting a drip system set up that you could add to the purchase but I dont think it is done yet. Making your own drip system is relatively easy so if you are up to that then it is a good choice.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 06:14:21 pm »

I have seen a deterioration in the fit and finish details of American machines. How is the craftsmanship on the ez cabber ? It sounds promising.
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:28 am »

I had not seen the EZ cab machine before this, but it looks exactly like what I am building.  I'm a fan of using a separate motor.  Motors burn out and replacing the long double shaft motor is prohibitively expensive.  Also, separate bearings are something anyone can replace.  Motor bearings need expertise.  Two speeds are a great benefit if you work softer materials.
Report Spam   Logged
mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 08:25:11 pm »

Wow thanks all for the information! right before Christmas I will be getting my machine.  Thanks Again for the help.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
johnjsgems

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 09:51:54 am »

MAP (minimum advertised price) of the Cab King 6" is $1399.  Anyone advertising for less is violating the manufacturer's rules.  The motors are not same manufacturer.  Cab King is Chinese.  DP uses an oem Baldor U.S. made motor.  DP wheels are made in house as well.   Barranca makes a killer 6"  6 wheel machine also but price is very high. 
Report Spam   Logged
mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 06:16:14 pm »

Thank you for the info John
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum