Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 10:23:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Buying a CABBING Machine

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a CABBING Machine  (Read 1430 times)
mrlnavy

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »

Hi all, we are new to the forum and to Lapidary.  We have some stones and will be headed to Georgia for some Rose Quartz, Black Tourmaline, Smokey Quartz and a few other pieces if we can find the.

I do not have a cabbing machine yet but will get one for Christmas.

My questions is what do you think? The Cab King or the Genie/Pixie.

I see a lot of videos on You-Tube and many people have the Genie. I am leaning towards the 6" Cab King.

What do you think? I can definitely use your help. I have until Christmas  help
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:28 pm »

I have the Genie. Cab King didn't exist when I bought it. If I were buying now, I think I'd go with the Cab King.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 05:39:10 pm »

Thanks Don, for some reason, I am definitely leaning that way. Thank you for your comments on this.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
stonemon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:15:00 pm »

I bought a new 8" Cabking about 16 months ago.
Worked with it for a few months and the motor went bad. The folks at Cabking sent me a new one and it has been running fine for a year or so.
No problems with customer support that I experienced.
I was up-grading from an antique Lortone LU6X that I bought new in 1975 or somewhere there about. No comparison...
I know many people who swear by the Genie and I do not have anything bad to say about them.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide on.
Bill, Western Oregon
Report Spam   Logged
55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

I have used a diamond genie for ten years. I love the machine except the water pump. I just ordered a new pump unit today, $145. The brass bushing has worn out that drives the piston and some days it runs but not most days.  BUT...  I have cut thousands of cabochons on this machine. All things considered it has been very good and pumps do wear out. I buy the good diamond wheels and they last a long time if you use them correctly.

Report Spam   Logged

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:46:26 pm »

Thank you Fossil and Stoneman. I can definitely use the information. In a way it looks I can't really go wrong with either machine as long as I take care of it.  Price for the 6" anyway is about the same.

Thanks Guys. I am so glad Mary and I got into this forum, it is already paying off.

- Mike
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
dickb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:17 pm »

I like 8" dia wheels. I have big hands and fingers and like the clearance they offer.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Charles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:26 am »

I have a Diamond Pacific Pixie. I bought it new in 1980 and it has and still is running like a champ. I have put in a pump kit twice. I could not count the number of cabs cut on this machine. If I was buying new today and I had the money I would probably still buy the pixie. It is small and I can move it around with very little effort. I have had to replace several wheels but that was from normal wear.
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:43:23 am »

I have not used a Cabking, but I definitely prefer the overhead watering system.  Otherwise I think the two units are virtually identical, even to the same motor manufacturer.  Also, $145 for a tiny no pressure water pump is downright criminal.
Report Spam   Logged
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:17 am »

I have used Genies which are 25 plus years old at two different schools where I teach. I agree that a top feed water system is better that the pump which can pump dirty water up from the tray. When the pumps go bad, many of my friends have just purchased an inexpensive aquarium pump for about $25.00 and it supplies very good water to the wheels. In my opinion the quality of the wheels are what sets Diamond Pacific Genie apart from Cab King. In all fairness to Cab King, I have not had any input on their wheels in two years so they could have improved the quality.
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:05 am »

Be forewarned that the quality of the old machines was much higher than the recently built machines with the same brand name. Companys like Lortone are in a downward spiral and Diamond Pacific quality has fallen off to some extent.
Report Spam   Logged

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »

If you decide on a Genie, be SURE to pay a bit more for the upgraded baseboard. Of five out of six machines that I sold the particle board base boards arrived cracked. Diamond Pacific immediately sent new one to my customers but all folks are not handy when it comes to putting on a new baseboard. That is why I will only sell new machines with the better base.
Report Spam   Logged

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:45:45 pm »

Thank you all for the great information especially about the particle board.  I also learned I need to 5 gallon buckets for the pump water and outflow.

It looks like I may go with the CABKING. I will be looking for a place to buy one especially as we get closer to Christmas.  Might be able to get it a little cheaper. SO far I found a 6" for $1,339.

Again thank you all for you help. What a forum!
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:54:07 pm »

Cabking does not allow anyone to sell for less than that price.
The only thing you can get is some free material from whichever affiliate you buy it through.

I have used both and the wheels on the genie are better than the wheels on the cabking but they are both great machines.

Good luck with your purchase!

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »

Thank you Tony, I am looking at the price of the Genies also.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum