General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 11, 2018, 06:01:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

In need of help with a used Ultratec and its laps.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In need of help with a used Ultratec and its laps.  (Read 588 times)
BadgerBanjo

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:51 pm »

Well, I'm sorry it took me a day to get back, My phone refuses to post the pictures of the individual wheels. I'll be going through that adjustment guide to make sure the mast is accurate. and I'll likely order that book as soon as I get the chance, hopefully I do some test cutting with that piece of glass tonight. Thank you all for your help. I'jj see if I can post pictures later of the machine itself along with the laps.
Report Spam   Logged
BadgerBanjo

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:09:04 am »

Well, I fired it up today, and went for broke. I did all this cutting with a 600 lap. So I guess the laps are suitable. It did take quite a lot of time but I'm under the impression it's just a slower process than I believed.
This also raises the question of exactly how often you should buy/recharge your laps. Do you just replace them when they cut noticeably slower, and how many stones do you suppose could be cut before needing to rotate to a fresh one?
Thank you guys again. You've been a tremendous help

* image.jpg (1216.45 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 17 times.)

* image.jpg (860.72 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 15 times.)

* image.jpg (1281.85 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Hummingbirdstones

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 09:33:14 am »

Nice!  It appears from the photo that your machine is in alignment.  Faceting is a much slower process than cabbing.  When you consider that you are cutting a stone to a specific design using specific angles and depths for each individual facet and you must do that whole procedure for each grinding and polishing step that you use, it can take quite a long time.  It all depends on the design (how many total facets are in the design?  A single round brilliant or a Portuguese pear cut?), the hardness of the stone you're cutting, and the size of the stone. Larger stones take considerably more time because you must get all the scratches out of each facet from the previous grit out before you can proceed to the next step.

Here are some good articles to read:  http://www.attawaygems.com/NMFG/mystery_of_polish.pdf and http://www.attawaygems.com/NMFG/cabinet_makers_and_chain_saws.html regarding grit size and subsurface damage.

Regarding your laps, if the 600 is a diamond plated lap, then it will wear out eventually and need replacing.  You can replace it with a 600 topper plate to save some money.  The time it takes to wear out a lap depends on how you treat the lap, the hardness of the stones you're cutting, etc.  You should get considerable wear out of the lap before it needs to be replaced when buying new.  Since you have used laps, it will be difficult to tell.  Always clean your laps after you use them and make sure they're dry before you put them away.  Store them in individual containers (zip-lock bags work well) to avoid cross contamination.  Nothing sucks more than starting the next grit and getting a big scratch across your facet.

If you have laps that can be recharged, you would recharge them when the cutting or polishing slows down.  Hope that helps.

Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website