Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 05, 2020, 05:35:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

More Washington Beach Hunting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Washington Beach Hunting  (Read 371 times)
Kaljaia

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:55:47 am »

One of these days I'll remember to take a rock hammer when I go to this beach. I still bring back stuff small enough to tumble and mostly unambiguous. I haven't been adventurous with things bigger than pebble-size yet! But still, pebbles can be pretty.

This is from Pt. No Pt. beach, which is public access from the lighthouse southward along the bluffs. We had a 1.3 tide to work with, which was nice. Big storm the night before, with lots of waves at high tide, and it did seem like there was fresh material revealed and rolled around from it. I'm still picking up green rock, even though I know by now it tends to polish sub-par compared to quartzites and agates, but I think it's awful pretty anyway! One tiny banded agate and lots of tumble pebbles. I've attached pictures of what I've been polishing them into; probably too much effort for essentially what comes in those little mesh bags at the craft store, but these are from a beach with a lot of history for my family, which makes them special to us regardless of the common material.

* P1050253.JPG (302.32 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 10 times.)

* P1050259.JPG (333.07 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 10 times.)

* P1050260.JPG (374.13 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 7 times.)

* P1050261.JPG (218.37 KB, 858x768 - viewed 4 times.)

* P1050240.JPG (318.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 6 times.)

* P1050264.JPG (134.55 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 7 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »

That is a decent beach agate. I'm glad that storm did some good as it just about drowned me. Beach hunting season is now open with a good beach turnover.
Report Spam   Logged

Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »

(Since it's such a glorious October, Frank, I need to ferry up and visit you some time. I'm saving just about all your posts, trying to get some basic understanding of the area's geology and variety of material. Can I follow you around on a beach for a day? I will bring odd rocks in trade... and cookies. The really good (but not special) kind.)
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:02 am »

Sooner the better. Within an hour and a half of the beach is an easy jade stream. Perhaps we can do both in a day. PM me .
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:34:58 am »

A jade stream! You lucky dogs!  walker23by
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:05:42 pm »

Ok, headed north bright and early, will blast King FM all through the Seattle traffic and aim for the 10 AM Mukilteo ferry! I'm bringing some show 'n tell too; big chunk of Sheep Shack with blue and purple banding, a piece of breccated seam Second Sandpile material that might just go to pieces but maybe not, an Old Military egg from the Donnybrook end of the bed that looks promising and a piece of Hummingbird agate (which I'm weirdly attached to because I found the mother seam but may also be worthless because it's inconsistent in hardness and tends to spread its rust tint around.) And two pieces of the glassy green Blakely Island material. And my camera. Quite excited!
Report Spam   Logged
Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:24 pm »

Back! Was a wonderful trip, (though the traffic to and from was a bit of a cattle drive), will post pictures tomorrow!
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:15:15 am »

I can't wait to see what your trip was like!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum