General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 23, 2019, 12:50:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Storing rough - is freezing bad?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing rough - is freezing bad?  (Read 247 times)
Talusman

« on: October 11, 2015, 07:13:36 am »

I've been put on notice that there are too many rocks inside the house.  bricks Looking at either storing them in the garage next to the saw (ideal) or basement in the shop. Garage will get well below freezing in the winter. I know that freeze-thaw cycles in the creek fracture material, but that's over the course of centuries. Do you think a few seasons in the garage will hurt (no opals in the mix, just jasp/agates.)
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:02:25 am »

I've stored all my rough outside for many years without problem.  If no water gets into any cracks, there can be no water expansion.  In any case, your rocks were outside for eons before you got them.
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:36 am »

What slabcabber said.  The only thing I've had come apart was a big hunk of obsidian. Luckily it was plain black obsidian. I have one pile of not too important rocks that get buried under several feet of snow almost every winter. My better cutting material is stored in an unheated shed. And my very best material is in boxes stored in my basement.

Wives can be a real pain when it comes to storing rocks in the house. But don't you dare suggest that they store some of their sewing supplies in the basement, no matter how large the pile of bins full of cloth has grown.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

bobby1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:59 am »

Freezing cold for rocks is really bad! You can't sort through them in that kind of weather. Keep them inside and really warm. Much easier to sort and admire!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Talusman

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:47:45 pm »

Sounds like a plan - bulk of it in the garage, prized pieces stashed around the house. Bobby, cold might be bad for rocks, but it's even worse for me, and I'll be out in it if I bring all my rocks inside!

hide
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:52:46 pm »

Sleep with them under the bed, they're happiest there.  By the way, i'm talking about the rocks, not the wife!  Though from what i have learned about the physiology of women, they are always cold, just like the rocks.  Doesn't matter the season or weather, they are always cold, and i am talking about their complaining about the temp, not they're hearts.

Now that i am done almost getting in trouble.  The rocks spent millions of years on or in the ground, and they made it this far.  What's a winter or two going to do to them, unless you get them wet and let them freeze.  Though even in the ground, they tend to get wet.

By the way, all my good stuff is on my shelves in my walk in closet, or in boxes.  No cold basement or hot attic for my babies.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Alvin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »

i have been storing my rocks in the Northern Maine cold for years. I just keep them dry in the sheds. Have not seen any problems to this point.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website