Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 27, 2018, 03:18:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

And the winner is .........

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the winner is .........  (Read 661 times)
Mark

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:04:22 am »

Sheboygan, Wisconsin!  No wait, a last second push by another company beat out the WI company.  So instead of working in beautiful, ass freezing Wisconsin, i am going to be close to home, working outside Boston, which is also a pretty nice area.  I came so close to working for the water faucet company Kohler, working on their really kool shower control product that allows you to control water, steam, music, lighting, and a variety of invigorating shower control programs that make your shower into a spa.  So close.  But i am back doing more of the work i have done most of my career.  I will be really close to home and that is important.  The other job was a 16hr drive and that is really far away in case of an emergency, so we are all happy about that. 

The new job puts me closer to Maine and New Hampshire and i am looking forward to taking advantage of that as soon as i get a couple of paychecks under my belt and i can afford the gas to drive to Maine or NH.  I figure by the beginning of Nov i will be able to visit one or the other for a weekend of rockhounding.  Alvin, Mike, Moontide, and anyone else that would like to get together in Maine for a day or two, let me know.  I am hoping for either the weekend (Sat/Sun) of 11/14 - 11/15 or 11/28 - 11/29, to be able to go.  Mt Apatite or anywhere else you guys think would be good, would be fine with me.  I am also interested in going to the Granite State (New Hampshire) which is also full of minerals, for another trip.  I was actually reading Rock and Mineral mag this morning and fell asleep and dreamed of finding all kinds of kool minerals and stone from NH.

So if anyone is interested, let me know.  After i start my job and get a feel for what is going on, i will know better of when i can go. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:29 am »

Congratulations on your new job!
Now you can dream of rocks and minerals instead of worrying about finding a job.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:44:18 pm »

Hi Mark:

Glad to read the good news, I hope it goes long term for you.   ura

By the way, there are lots of pretty rocks in WI.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

mearic71

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:29:09 pm »

Great news Mark. Loved to go rock Hounding for a weekend.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:53:41 pm »

Thanks guys.  I am really excited to be an employee for a change and not be a contractor that gets laid off anytime some manager looks at the budget and decides to layoff the contractors. 

Hopefully after a couple of weeks i will have the bills up to date and can spend a weekend hounding.  I have never found anything other than plain rocks to pick up.  It would be killer to find Quartz crystals, Tourmaline, Garnets, or just some plain ole Jasper.  I'm tired of watching videos and reading postings of people finding everything from Agate to Diamonds to giant Quartz.  My time!!!!!!

So next week i'll start figuring out what weekend works.  I'll check out my books on Maine and New Hampshire, and Internet sites.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Talusman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 07:34:45 pm »

Congrats! I was at Ruggles Mine in NH about 25 years ago - pulled out some beryl, schorl, mica and some radioactive minerals. Not sure of its current status but it was fun then. Looking forward to seeing your finds!

-Jeremy
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:36:43 am »

Thanks Jeremy.  I was just watching a video on the Ruggles mine.  From the website it still seems open.  Seems like a gigantic place and where would you start.  Probably not on the pillars that hold the various galleries/tunnels/caves up.  $25 a day seems ok when its just me, but if i want to take the kids and wife, then its a $125/day, seems a bit steep at that point, especially if one or more of the kids and wife decide to give up after an hour.  I'll probably try that one out in the spring when the snow first melts and the ground thaws as i think they are only open thru October and not sure i can get there in time before it closes.  I have been reading my various mags on VT and NH rockhounding and NH and Maine are definitely the better choices, with MA not even in the running.  So hopefully after a few weeks at work, i can take a couple of days and dig out my hammer and sledge and maybe go buy a big pry bar.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »

Congratulations on your new job! That is great.

I live in Maine. Please let me know if you recommend any mine in particular. A friend came back recently with a very deep attractive amethyst, but I thought she said she was at or near Mt. Mica and I didn't think they were known for amethyst.

Cross Jewelers is now selling "Maine blueberry stone." It looks exactly like K2 to me, and I am strongly doubtful it is from Maine, but rather suspect Pakistan. Has anyone heard of that or something like it showing up in Maine mines?  link is:   http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/product.aspx?ID=3564
Report Spam   Logged
Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 06:38:50 pm »

Congratulations on your new job. I am sure if you want to do some rock hounding in Maine, I can help you. I think if you plan a Nov trip you will need some very cold weather gear and I would not be surprised to find snow on the ground. I will be gone to Texas Nov 11 to 15th.
As to amethyst in Maine. We have found some in Perry. (very rare). There is a mine with amethyst in western Maine at Deer Hill. It is very nice material but is rarely open to the public.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:44:33 pm »

I would be glad to find anything.  I pick up 20 lbs of sh**, i mean schist, when i go out looking for rocks.  So most anything would be exciting to me.  I also have like 20 lbs of Mica from the last trip to Maine about 5 years ago, so anything but Mica and Schist.

Cold weather sounds good to me after this past hot summer.  As long as there is not too much snow.  If i get the chance to go before we are snowed out, i will let you know.  New Hampshire is also looking really good.  Would love to find some pegmatites filled with crystals of something, from Quartz to Tourmaline.

Saturday we went to a rope course on the side of a mountain.  My son came in first in his age group (14) in a cross country race and won 4 tickets to the rope course.  These are $50/piece so we were thrilled.  They actually gave up 5 passes while there, though my wife hadn't planned on doing it.  So the whole family did it.  As soon as we got out of the car, my oldest son and i were scanning the parking lot for interesting rocks, and of course i picked up several pieces of sh** (schist).  Along the trail we walked, i noticed a lot of Schist and Quartz and you could tell someone had turned over several small boulders of Quartz that looked promising for crystals.  After my wife and i completed two courses, i walked back to the car to get the camera and on the way picked up some interesting Quartz pieces.  I think from how they looked, that there is a good chance there are crystals around there.  I will have to find some unmarked property and check it out after hunting season.
Report Spam   Logged

gjones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 04:35:22 pm »

That great on the job Mark! I think I want a T-shirt that says I Know Schist from Shinola!
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »

So far i have made it two weeks at my new job.  I will start feeling comfortable when i get to the 6 month mark.  At least i am not a contractor and am now an employee and get a salary and am a bit more stable.

I went out again and got a lot more sh**, i mean schist.  That stuff just glaringly stands out and its so hard not to pick it up.  So i got like another 30 lbs of it.  The flat cab like pieces are really kool.  They have been worn flat by thousands of years in the river and they glow like silver dollars in the shallow water.  I am going to try and not pick up anymore sh**.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:59 pm »

Mark: How far from home is the new job? Glad to hear it's to your liking. Hope things get a lot easier for you.
MAYBE, there is a Genie in your future.
Good luck. Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 03:12:23 am »

Its a couple of hours drive so i can go home anytime.  And some day next year, i will get or maybe build a new cab machine and then later, another slab saw or two.  First i have to catch up on a lot of bills, like a couple of years worth.  I also have to take back my basement from the spiders, mud, and rust.  After we get the gutters fixed, the basement will be clean and dry again.  Then i attack the spider mess which has gotten out of hand since i was not down there the last 6 months.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:01 am »

Glad to hear your close to home. That's a lot better than WI. Good to be able to see the family every week. Lets hope it will be a long term job, so your rock disease stays under control.

Good luck.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: