General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
February 22, 2019, 02:02:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Getting close to the perfect used Genie, need advice!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting close to the perfect used Genie, need advice!  (Read 287 times)
fatsistertoo

« on: September 08, 2015, 11:32:20 am »

And the Genie Saga continues........... saved7

First was the issue with the export model Genie:  Solved with a 1000Watt Step Down Converter.

Second was the frozen left side wheels: finally solved with advice from my sis and using belt sander belt under the vise grips.

Third was my pump pully wheel was frozen.  worked on it all day yesterday. Broke it down, cleaned it, oiled it and used maintanance kit and replaced everything.

NOW.......My new wheels from JS are great but there is lots of vibration on the left side.  Its not the arbor but my wheels need balancing.  I have done the rotating thing.  I marked the wheels and tried every combination but still vibrating. 
The 80 grit wheel looks wobbly(slightly)  on the arbor.  Could that wheel be off balance are just "Not True"?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!

Virginia
Louisiana
Report Spam   Logged

Virginia

Buying puppies and kittens from pet stores, helps to keep the puppy mills in operation.
Support your local pet adoption programs, that's where you will find a companion that will thank you everyday.

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:07 pm »

As the wheels are new, they should be clean.  I occasionally have vibration problems from build up on the wheels but that should be the problem.

Have you tried putting on just one wheel at a time.  I know this requires additional spacers but there are ways to mock those up.  This will tell you if the problem is a single wheel or not.  I haven't had any wheels that were out of balance when new but the only wheels I use now are the Inland sintered wheels and Novas.  Just don't get enough life out of any of the others for the amount of cutting that I do.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose
Report Spam   Logged
kennyg

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »

if you could take a movie of it running and post a link think omeone herr would be able to solve your problem.
Report Spam   Logged
fatsistertoo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »

Hey Bob,
These are Nova's and Galaxy Wheels.  I haven't tried the "one wheel" thing. 
****The way I would do that is to: start with one wheel and fill the rest of the shaft with spacers, maybe PVC pieces-- put bolt back-- and run.  This will maybe tell me if one is not true? Or, it may tell me if one is weighted more on one side???  I tried every combination and I would still have vibration.  I took all the wheels off and carefully looked at the arbor and it looks true.  I know it is very rare that one of those wheels is not true but I thought I would post that question.  My sister told me that she has never had a problem with her wheels not being balanced and she rarely had to rotate them because of vibration.
The only other possible cause could be the table that the Genie is on now.  It is a little cart that has castors. The Genie base is the same size as the cart top.  It is not a real heavy cart but fairly sturdy. 

I think I will shoot a little short video and post it to see if one of you wonderful folks could see my issue. 
I can't believe how helpful everyone has been.   Thanks so much.
This Genie has been a journey, but I refuse to give up on her.  I WILL make it Perfect!!!!! saved2

Thanks,
Virginia
Report Spam   Logged

Virginia

Buying puppies and kittens from pet stores, helps to keep the puppy mills in operation.
Support your local pet adoption programs, that's where you will find a companion that will thank you everyday.

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:24:14 pm »

Before you go any further - swap the wheels from the right side to the left side and the left to the right.  If the problem also swaps sides you know it is not the arbor.
Report Spam   Logged

RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:08:24 am »

Hey Gina:
Take the wheels to the stable and put them on my machine one at a time.
Take off my 80 grit and replace with one of your wheels, check and repeat.

OR...before you go to my house-put the old wheels back on and see if it vibrates.  If not, check the new wheels one at a time.

I do like the swap sides suggestion, though.

I will be back in town Thursday.
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:03:46 am »

Check the shaft by removing all wheels, turn it on and rest a screwdriver or stick of any sort on the end of the rotating shaft.  It should not vibrate at all.  Even the slightest bounce or rattle is indicative of a bent or misaligned shaft.
Report Spam   Logged
fatsistertoo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:01:19 am »

help
I took 3 short video's with my iPhone and downloaded them onto my  computer.  I have been trying to upload them onto a message here, and I get an error saying it is not the right type of file.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have posted pics from my iPhone, what do I do to these little clips to make them compatible?
Virginia
Report Spam   Logged

Virginia

jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 11:50:18 am »

Another hint that will save you future problems. Take the wheels and adapters off both sides of your machine. Turn the machine on and polish both shafts with a fine grit Scotch Brite pad. Be sure to clean the threads at the ends of the shafts. Wipe the shafts clean with a soft cloth. Coat the  shafts and threads with a paste type furniture wax, or go to the auto parts store and get the smallest container of Anti Seize compound they have to coat the shaft with. Easy with the Anti Seize compound. A little dab goes a long way. This will make it much easier to remove the adapters and wheels the next time you need to do so. Also take the nut off each adapter and put a little Anti Seize on the threads before replacing the nut.

I've started using Anti Seize compound on all removable parts on all of my machines. It saves a lot of grief and bloody knuckles when it's time to do maintenance on the machines.

I've used both paste wax and Anti Seize compound on machines. The wax is good for about a year. The Anti Seize compound will last many years.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

kennyg

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »

I think for this you have to post a link to phtobucket,dropbox or one of those places
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website