General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 17, 2019, 01:26:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Ruby, diamond, paraiba tourmaline pendent...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruby, diamond, paraiba tourmaline pendent...  (Read 681 times)
sweetstone15

« on: September 05, 2015, 02:31:52 am »

This is one of my latest pendents, the top stone is an asian origin, 2.01ct, GIA cert. untreated ruby, a treat to see under a scope with good color, a .51ct. diamond & a 2.21ct brazillian paraiba tourl. Pendent is 1.5" in length & gold is 14kt white & yellow. The ruby was won on an auction off ebay & proved to be a really good deal. The finished pendent just pops in the light & the ruby shows a slightly pinkish/red color & heavy fluorescence under UV light. a fun item to wear anytime-stevie... dancer5

* DSCN6966.JPG (89.18 KB, 480x640 - viewed 26 times.)

* DSCN6956.JPG (82.85 KB, 480x640 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

southerly

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:03:14 am »

Very nice.
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »

I like it as well. It kind of reminds me of a stop light.  bricks

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:25:26 pm »

Outstanding!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

sweetstone15

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:01:52 am »

This is kind of interesting, this pendent was recently appraised by a new person, she was very good in that she scoped, measured & did as much research as she needed, the ruby came in very well because of the GIA lab rept answered her questions about the material, the diamond was easy for her, the paraiba tourmaline was another issue, per her, very good material, appears to be top material but the cert of origin was not enough to qualify the stone as brazillian paraiba, so her final on that stone was @ 1/2 of the appraised values for paraiba from brazil. It is considered 'paraiba-like' which is any other location but brazillian. With that being done, the stone is being sent to GIA for verification, one way or the other, it was sold as brazillian by the seller in 2006, & he stands by his rept, since he was one of the original buyers from the mine in country. If interested I will post results later in oct.-stevie... help dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:21:12 am »

Very nice pendant. Lovely color and style; the setting is simple enough not to distract from the exceptional color of the stones. I am impressed that the ruby came in as genuinely untreated. Most of the rubies on ebay these days are lead filled, diffused, or otherwise drastically altered (like the ones at Macys and many "fine" mall jewelers!) Did you facet the stones or buy them already faceted?

I am curious where you get your gold supplies and where people think is most economical? I have only used silver, but wanted to try a simple gold setting or bicolor setting. However, the gold prices at Rio Grande seem to be as high as buying a prefabricated setting, perhaps more so, and don't appear to reflect the drop in gold prices to any real extent. Their prices for chain are downright absurd and some chains are higher than what I've seen at reasonably priced retail stores IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
sweetstone15

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:25:01 am »

Thanks for the questions-all the stones were bought faceted, the ruby was bought at auction at 12 midnight eastern on ebay, listed as untreated, good color, asian origin possibly burmese, 2.01cts, certed by GIA, the diamond is a nice stone, I got to tell u, the ruby was a gift, right time & place & a little work on my part. The gold work to the final pendent was less than $150.00, the catch is my jeweler who builds all pendents since my start treats me like an employee, the work as is pictured would cost off the street over $500.00 or better. My jeweler builds my pendents almost at cost to the store & he does upgrades for almost nothing, its taken time to get to this level with his store + I steer much work to his business which helps him out. In 2012 I bought a ruby from H&Pgemstones of florida, they took me for a ruby that is composit, as I call 'shake & bake', heated & glass filled, the state of florida was notified as to their business flaws with no repay to me. So now I make people aware of their deals to the public, still in business. The ruby I have now is a treat to see, almost eye clean, good color, natural & intact inclusions per natural material, if interested I will post the results about the tourmaline from GIA, Im chaffing-at-the-bit to know myself-stevie... dunno help dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
sweetstone15

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:55 am »

As usual im always on a quest to improve some of the pendents ive built, the latest is an upgrade to the original, the pendent now has a 3.02ct mozambique cushion cut stone, GIA cert untreated, the diamond, same, the paraiba is now GIA cert also, origin from Brazil, which adds to the overall appraisal of the stone, new pics enclosed, work by John-stevie... yes ura

* DSCN7232.JPG (53.88 KB, 247x581 - viewed 7 times.)

* DSCN7233.JPG (55.74 KB, 287x577 - viewed 7 times.)

* DSCN7234.JPG (54.41 KB, 278x579 - viewed 7 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 07:31:22 pm »

Very nice!  Before i read your following posts on the Paraiba, i was really questioning it as Paraiba.  Since there was so little Paraiba found and it was so expensive, many people sold anything close to that color, as Paraiba and many people paid very inflated prices for much cheaper stone.  I am no expert on gemstones, but followed Paraiba and hopefully my little chipped piece, is Paraiba, but its hard to be sure.  It is a super rich color and super saturated.  Just like with emeralds, rubies, etc., there are different levels and the super saturated and prime colored stones are worth much more than the less saturated or non prime colors.  Maybe someday i can take some classes and get certified, yeah right, another lifetime for that.  Again, really nice piece.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

sweetstone15

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:28:23 am »

Mark, good comments on the paraiba material, ive been following this stuff when it was offered on JTV years ago & was selling for a little over $400.00 to $500.00/ct. Some dealers scoffed at the high prices for a tourmaline & refused to buy/sell the stones. The prices only went up from there, & the mines were pretty much mined out within a few years. I understand even today material is found in the area but it is very low in quantity & quality. A lot of the rough was sold & this stuff doesnt just evaporate, people who bought are still sitting on quantities of good rough waiting for the right time to sell or cut stones. When i bought my stone from Paraiba international @ 2006, it was one of his best stones, my 1st buy was a 1.7ct stone which was ok but not the best, i upgraded to the 2.21ct stone, listed as FL, slight gBlue color, heated as most are to get the good color, in the flesh this stone pops even in low light. Now the real, all my appraisers who worked this stone first questioned wheather this was Brazilian because of the low price i paid, but after good exams by people who knew the original stones they did agree it was authentic, but the question was always there. The seller of the stones now sells Brazilian, when he can get it & the other locations when he finds good material. Adam Gil & his father actually bought from the mines years ago so they knew the origin & most of those stones were certified. My stone was the original but no papers. I finally did the deed & sent the stone to GIA, after very hard testing by a panel of 5 people, per GIA to me, the origin was listed as Brazilian, finally. Im told there are 3 locations in Paraiba that produced chemically different material, but all Paraiba stones, thanks mother nature. In short, if one has a paraiba tourmaline for appraisal, unless u have papers from a top lab, ur stone is considered Paraiba Like, & valued @ 50% average of the Brazilian material, per most appraisers & there is some beautiful  Nigerian, chemically close to the Brazilian stone & Mozambique, also very good material, but the Brazilian is the standard the others are compared to. The ruby, in short, is new material from Mozambique that seems to rivel the burmese material within the last 6 years & is now showing in the market in good quantity with some good deals to be found if one takes a little time, even on ebay-stevie...Just for grinns, u might want to take the plunge & test ur stone, it might surprise u for the good, GIA or AGL are top notch labs... dancer5 yes ura toocool2
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:55 pm »

My real passion is gemstone's on matrix.  I love faceted and carved gemstones, but I dream, drool, and despair over someday owning a large Aquamarine, Heliodor, Tanzanite, or a gorgeous Tourmaline, 6" or longer on matrix and preferably with Quartz or Lepiodite covering the matrix.  I have some small, less than 1" tall specimens, but hunger for something larger and more perfect.  Even really clear beautiful Quartz by itself on matrix, really gets my pulse racing.  Yes i am an addict, but i could be addicted to much worse.  Then there are all those God awful lapidary stones cluttering up my house.  Someday when debts are paid off and there's some money in the bank, i will start looking at specimens and rough again, or rather, continue drooling over all the stones and on occasion, buying one here or there.

My name is Mark, and i have a problem.
Report Spam   Logged

sweetstone15

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 02:30:04 am »

You have to talk with Frank Schaffer of Pa. This guy is 5th generation stone cutter & stones are his passion. He may b able to help u with finding what u want. For reference, ask him about the 11ct. natural pink topaz & who bought it. Its amazing what he can tell u about stones-he is asked by several people who do reference books dealing with gem stones all the time to verify what they put into print help-will keep in touch-stevie... dancer5 toocool2
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website