Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 15, 2020, 11:15:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Needed to do some hand work again

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed to do some hand work again  (Read 108 times)
wyrock

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:13 am »

Traded John @jsgems out of a couple of fist sized pieces of angelite when I was in Q the year before last. I cut a couple of slabs off of this piece a long time ago and decided it was time to make the rest into something. Carving by hand works better for me because I can sit back with a towel on my lap and carve away with files and knives. My back loves me when I work this way.

I just wanted to do something random, leave the other side natural and see what turned up. As I went along one area started to look like a turtle/tortoise beak so I went with that. I did not want to do a fossil copy of the skull so I did not research photos to see how one actually looked. Did the beak from memory and left the rest the way it was when I got the stone cleaned up. The other end was round and plain so after looking at it for a month I decided to make it fossil like but not like anything real that I know of.

This rock is very translucent blue so the plan is to mount it on a cab shaped piece of cedar wood and light it from below. It should make an awesome night light. I will show finished photos after I get up the courage to destroy my eyes again with cedar dust. I need to get an air nozzle for my air tank so I can blow all the dust off before I take off my goggles. Not happy when I can hardly see for a few days.
Jim

It is not quite finished, finished. About the best I can get on this stone is to sand to 500, rub hand oils into if for a while then buff it with a soft cloth like the T-shirt I am wearing. It is 4 inches long.

Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

womanwithatorch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:02:38 am »

Very Nice! First time I've heard of Angelite.
Report Spam   Logged

Janice, womanwithatorch.com

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso
wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:47:59 pm »

It is pretty soft, a little harder than alabaster. Amazing when it is lit up.
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum