Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 05, 2020, 03:45:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Deer Sky verses Windy Ridge identification

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deer Sky verses Windy Ridge identification  (Read 128 times)
55fossil

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:07:46 am »

The Rock and Gem March 2015 had an article about Windy Ridge / Cripple Creek jasper. Both are very similar and also similar to one of the varieties of jasper I dig and named Deer Sky Jasper. The one thing I wish the article had was more pictures identifying Windy Ridge and Cripple Creek jaspers so I could tell them apart.  I am looking for others to post pictures of cabochons and rough of material that has been identified as Windy Ridge or Cripple Creek. I purchased some Windy Ridge jasper from Lou Mallard who discovered and claimed the original Windy Ridge mine. The first picture shows Windy ridge and Deer Sky jaspers for a comparison. Pictures wet and dry.
     There are obvious differences from the softer, more golden tones of Deer Sky jasper to the bluer sky. While the Windy Ridge jasper appears much harder the Deer Sky jasper takes an excellent polish as well. But I am really wondering about the differences in what is being sold as Cripple Creek versus Windy Ridge.

PS:  I am not currently looking to sell my Deer Sky jasper except on e-bay. This will change when I retire soon.

* IMG_6941.JPG (1136.37 KB, 2731x2303 - viewed 7 times.)

* IMG_6940.JPG (1009.31 KB, 2314x2304 - viewed 3 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum