General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 16, 2019, 01:09:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Using fused glass grinder and saw for Lapidary? ??

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using fused glass grinder and saw for Lapidary? ??  (Read 197 times)
hilaheaps

« on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »

Hi, I want to start doing lapidary, I am also doing fused glass jewelry, I wander if I can use my Diamond Max 2 In 1 grinder (it have a flat grinder on it) for lapidary, and what discs I need to buy so it can mount on it?

Also im about to buy a tile saw machine for cutting fused glass bars, and wanted to buy one that I can cut slabs with it too. For the fused  glass bars I need to buy a good expensive Dimond blade, I still need to find out which one but that is not a problem, I want to ask should I use the same blade for the slabs? Which blade do I need for the slabs?

* 316fqsMiRIL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg (5.37 KB, 160x160 - viewed 99 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:12:35 pm »

The flat lap will work but it will be slower than using a dedicated cab grinder.  You will need an assortment of disks starting at 100. You likely have a 260 grit with the unit.  Add 400, 600 and silicon carbide wetordry on a blank disk.  The center post will get in the way.  If you really get into it, you will soon want a dedicated lapidary machine.  Glass cutting blades will work for lapidary materials but the matrix is harder than what is normally best for harder materials like agate.  That means you will find yourself dressing the blade fairly often.  If you use a lapidary blade for glass it will wear down faster.
Report Spam   Logged
hilaheaps

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:13:10 pm »

The flat lap will work but it will be slower than using a dedicated cab grinder.  You will need an assortment of disks starting at 100. You likely have a 260 grit with the unit.  Add 400, 600 and silicon carbide wetordry on a blank disk.  The center post will get in the way.  If you really get into it, you will soon want a dedicated lapidary machine.  Glass cutting blades will work for lapidary materials but the matrix is harder than what is normally best for harder materials like agate.  That means you will find yourself dressing the blade fairly often.  If you use a lapidary blade for glass it will wear down faster.

Thanks for your help :-)
I don't need Dimond discs? For the grinder (the center post can be removed )
What blade will you recommend for me to buy to cut the slabs?
Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website