General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick B shared this stunning opal shell carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 24, 2019, 11:48:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Highland Park R-2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Highland Park R-2  (Read 406 times)
Richardi503

« on: July 27, 2015, 03:33:04 pm »

Just bought a R-2 24" slab saw. Anyone have any information on them or a link to find the original manual. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:47:55 pm »

You can download a copy for free from here. https://www.hplapidary.com/t/ownersmanuals

Great saw. I used to own one.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Richardi503

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:20:47 pm »

Thanks for the link. it gives a good overview of the operation of the saw.
Report Spam   Logged
Richardi503

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »

I have heard of people running a 20" blade in these saws. What is the general opinion of everyone on doing this?
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:28:40 pm »

You could probably go all the way down to a 16" blade. But the smaller the blade, the smaller the rock you can cut. You'll also need to add more cutting oil to submerge the bottom of the smaller blade.

A plus to using a smaller blade is that the smaller blades are available in a thinner kerf. You'll waste less rock to the thickness of the blade.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

legendarygranite

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:13 pm »

You can actually fill the bottom of the bigger saws up with……. what ever you have around the house, rocks or what ever else will stay submerged and run a smaller blade. You have to remember that the flange on a 24 inch saw is going to be very big for a 16 inch blade, reducing the rock size.
Report Spam   Logged

johnjsgems

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40:08 am »

I had the same HP24 that I bought from the original owner.  He ordered it with the 20" blade.  He later bought a 24" to cut larger rocks.  I got both blades with the saw.  After dishing the 24" blade I used the 20" for the remainder of it's stay with me.  Mine had a pump system so it didn't matter which blade I used (except the cutting height 7" with 20", 9" with 24").  I think all the HP saws were marketed to use two different blade sizes (14"-16", 16"-18", 18"-20", 20"-24").  With larger choice the blade just missed back of tank.  Increasing height also decreases length of rock although the 24" is a huge saw.  I have been trying to talk Barranca into moving their 14" saw arbor about 1/4" to allow using a 16" blade.  It is their best selling saw as is so not having any luck. 
Report Spam   Logged
Richardi503

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:29 pm »

Made a mistake there. The saw is actually a R-1. Any one have any idea when these were manufacture=red. Thing is built like an Army tank. The bottom pan is 1/4" plate all around. Took 5 big guys to load it in a 4x4 pickup with a few choice words in the mix.
Report Spam   Logged
johnjsgems

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:22:16 am »

I'm not sure what model mine was but it was a beast.  When I sold my house and moved to the desert I needed to move it myself.  I backed a low trailer to the curb at bottom of my driveway and used an 8' plywood ramp I made just for the purpose.  My driveway sloped down to the street so pushing it was easy.  Actually too easy.  It started to roll and I started to panic.  There was no way to stop it if it missed the trailer.  If rolled right in though.  As heavy duty as the saw was it rolled on tiny metal casters.  They just about went through the 3/4" plywood deck of the trailer.  I had to lift each leg and put more plywood under.  Some fun.  When I hauled it to Quartzsite to find a new home I used my car trailer with winch and winched it right in.  Much easier to deal with.  Delivered it to new owner and used winch to ease it down the ramp.  Hurray for Harbor Freight winches. 
Report Spam   Logged
Richardi503

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »

Well we got the beast unload this morning. Now to weld plates onto the feet to mount casters so I can move this beast around. Scraped out about 2 5 gal buckets worth of sludge that was almost completely dry. Previous owner used diesel in his saws. cleaned up quite easily, now to pressure wash it. Need to replace one cord and replace main belt. Later this winter I might completely tear it down and do a complete restoration.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website