Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 30, 2020, 05:39:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

I got a new toy this weekend.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I got a new toy this weekend.  (Read 278 times)
1200cc

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:53:04 pm »

I got given a Lortone LU-6X I want to use it cutting opals and gems for faceting so I will not have to change out blades. Dose anyone have advice on how to tell if the bearings are still good. How large (width wise) of a grinding wheel I can put on it and can I use a sintered style wheel be used with it. I think the carborundum wheel on it is practically new but I am curious for when it dose eventually wear out. When dose the belt drum need to be replaced. Also has anyone used the end buffers as a vertical lap.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 07:20:41 pm »

I used a LUX-6 for years. When the bearings go bad you will know it. It starts to vibrate and or makes a lot of noise. Sintered blades work great. They are a great machine and I only got rid of mine to switch to 8 inch wheels. Lortone sells every part for that machine and usually has them in stock.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:27:44 am »

I have had real good luck with mine.  I use the trim saw "A Lot" and use a flat disc on the other end.
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
1200cc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:47 am »

I finally got enough time to look at the saw side. It is rusty (see pictures) I did manage to get the blade off thanks to some pb blaster. Dose anyone have advice on refurbishing. Do I need to replace the arbor or can I simply sand of the rust. Also should I consider replaceing the blade flanges. Thanks 55fossilfor the heads up about Lortone still making parts. What kind of belts are you using Rockoteer?

* rusty-arbor1.jpg (263.56 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 4 times.)

* rusty-arbor2.jpg (312.08 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 4 times.)

* threaded arbor end.jpg (168.51 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 4 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:07 am »

Of course every case is different, but I have never run into any machine that was rusted so bad that the arbor or flanges could not be cleaned up and used.  I would suggest that you turn it on and use cloth backed strip abrasive to clean up the shaft.  I would also clean up the flanges as much as possible while the shaft is spinning.  This will help keep it flat while you sand.  As always, be careful of you fingers around moving parts.  Coating the shaft with heavy grease or cosmoline will help to prevent it from returning to this condition.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum