Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:16:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

North Georgia trip

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Georgia trip  (Read 339 times)
Back

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:26:12 pm »

What did I get?
My sister and geoligest says we found quarts from a mine in NC

Bless
Shawn
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »

It does look like quartz, but the clarity is amazing.  Check the hardness against a known quartz.  It would cut some beautiful faceted stones.
Report Spam   Logged
Back

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:14 am »

Hi slabber

Thanks for the input. I have been researching this to no end. But I think the 6 in the front are Aventurine if so I think in is better than average. The green is translucent enough to see through with light. There are some areas that seem clean enough to facet.

The honey color is not so I would have to cut a slab to see if it is translucent. Yea I am itching to get it on the saw. I am hoping to do that today.

I hope more give comments so I can figure out is I need to try to get more of this stuff to share with all the cool people here.

Bless
Shawn
Report Spam   Logged
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Both the green and orange look like calcite. And when you say "mine", are you talking about a sluice operation mine? I do not believe that either are quartz and not aventurine for sure. The one in the back looks a bit like obsidian and not from Ga.
Report Spam   Logged

Back

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »

Hi Jack
Thanks for the input. I have a new word to research hide

This material was gathered from some friends when I told them I want to see the"best"

I have been doing some studding with my sis help to figure this out. Some good friends there and I don't think they would try to steer me wrong.

In that part of N Georga and W Carilina you can find anything.

I will look up calcite

Thanks for the input
Bless
Shawn
Report Spam   Logged
Susan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:33:39 pm »

Same conclusion as Jack, the orange is Calcite, green likely also. Should make some nice pieces to cab, keeping in mind Calcite is soft. The back piece does look like Obsidian or maybe Smoky Quartz, but hard to tell from the photo, maybe a more closeup view of that one would help, or another angle.

Yes, Georgia and North Carolina do have a lot to be found, however, as you probably know, much of what is originally obtained from the sluice mines is not from the area. Most of the mines are “salted” with colorful non-native or imported material added in to make them more appealing, and will have a greater quantity and variety than would naturally occur in a bucket of local dirt. Not a bad thing at all, as the exposure to the variety of rocks is good to learn from and great to collect, and many rockhounds got started in the hobby because of these mines. Especially people from states that have very few rocks... like Florida  ;-)

Susan

Report Spam   Logged

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 05:06:23 am »

The mountains of NC  are loaded with sluice mine operations by the road for tourist to enjoy. Two people that I know of in our club got their start by going to these mines and finding " salted " stones. It sparked their interest and they wanted to learn more which is a good thing. It is wonderful for kids and gives them instant gratification and a good selection to start a rock collection.
Report Spam   Logged

55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:43:38 am »

Best guess is smoky quartz on the black piece. You may get some great cabochons from it. I really like the green material, what ever it is. They are all pretty and you should at least cut a cabochon from each piece and tell us how hard they are, and how big????  very nice
Report Spam   Logged

Susan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 05:54:17 am »

Yep! That's how I got started, taking my daughter to a mine while on vacation when she was young. I remember the first one we went to being exceptionally helpful in identifying our finds, which they usually are. We would never have been exposed to rocks like that here. It was a great thing to look forward to on future trips to the area and we ended up with lots of colorful stones to start a collection and a nice faceted amethyst ring for her that sparked an interest in jewelry making for both of us, and you know how the story goes from there.
Report Spam   Logged

Back

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:21 pm »

Hi All

After doing a hardness test on the stones it seems that Jack and Susan got it spot on. I used Quartz for the first test. It scratched all but the dark one. So did a knife glass and obsidian All scratch the lighter stones.

This material did not come out of one of the road side seeded boxes.  A long time friend gave them to me. I am disappointed that it is not Quartz but if it did come from a local mine that is cool. I will try to find out. My sister is probally going to be more upset than me that it is not some form of Quartz bricks

But on the other hand dancer5 yippie yes

I have some new stuff. The bad side is that I usually only find time in the winter to cut anything is in the winter. The table I use for my trim saw now has a computer on it for my girls. So now I got to rig up space and another table for there computer so I can get my saw back out help

Again thanks for all the input.

Bless
Shawn

Report Spam   Logged
Susan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 08:58:48 pm »

Thanks for posting the results of your scratch test. They're still very nice looking pieces with some great color!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum