Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:10:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Cramer Creek, MT with BGMS

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cramer Creek, MT with BGMS  (Read 207 times)
Snakeadelic

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2015, 11:03:54 am »

I went on my first field trip yesterday since scraping together the courage to actually JOIN the Bitterroot Gem & Mineral society.  It was a looooonnnnnnnngggggg drive on a dirt road to the collecting site around the bases of some huge power-line towers.  We were on the hunt for jasper, agate, and blends literally thrown around the landscape by the construction of the towers.  We might have been as much as 4000 feet above sea level, but it was still over eighty and contrary to the weather reports there was barely a cloud in the sky.  When the kind folks who provided me with transport got tired and wanted to go, I had no problem with packing and scrambling--by then I'd been up there for five hours.

Was it fun?
OMG YES.  Attached is a photo of most of the rocks I got to keep, pre-cleaning of course.  I'll try like all get-out to remember to post photos as I get some of the more spectacular specimens that came home with me.  Mostly I found jasper, but I also found murky dark-yellow dendritic agate, some just chips and others mixed with brecciated jasper.

* BGMS_my_1st_field_trip_6-6-15.jpg (126.71 KB, 816x612 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:50:38 am »

Glad to hear you joined the club and made the field trip. Good folks in the Bitterroot club. I am interested in seeing the Cramer Creek finds. If you get some pictures. I have worked a lot of Western Montana Agate. Mostly from the Blackfoot and It is hard to find really good workable rock. Drives me absolutely nuts......You think you have a beauty and it is full of hairline fractures, gas bubbles or earthy Rhyolite.  Keep up the rock hunting and good luck!
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum