Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
January 23, 2022, 12:10:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Where to get a casting made?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get a casting made?  (Read 264 times)
kjsspot

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2015, 09:39:11 pm »

Any suggestions on where to get a casting made from a wax carving?  And how much does it cost? 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

sweetstone15

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:34 am »

kjsspot, Ive had plenty of castings made for the pendents I have, John made the castings in wax & the items were sent out to companies who r in production to cast in molten metals. From what i understand, u will b charged as to current price of gold at the time, the rough casting into gold, their cost to make & return new piece to jeweler, John, to finish & set to finishing item, which John will add his cost to work the new gold into jewelry. Since i have a history with John, I do get a little break on my final cost, but each item will b different. On the last pendent i had John do, in 18kt yellow gold, I was charged @$300.00 for the total gold work, the gen manager at Jareds chopped me a little to start bringing my work to him saying he would like to get some of my business, after i told him what Johns chg to me was, I smiled a little when he heard such a low figure-there was no way he could come near that price, the appraisal alone on the gold work is $700-800/total, minimum & Jareds would have trouble getting below $500.00 for same work. My point, use a jeweler u have been using for years, one u trust & will work with u. U have the final say. Sorry i didnt answer more closely, just a starting point-steve... dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:12:04 pm »

Any suggestions on where to get a casting made from a wax carving?  And how much does it cost? 

Which kind of casting, and what metal? Size? Do you have duplicate waxes? Always best to tree more than one in case of blow outs, etc....
Report Spam   Logged

kjsspot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »

I haven't made it yet.  I'm trying to decide if it'd be better to carve the wax and have someone cast it or if it'd be better to use PMC gold.

Steve, I don't have any jewelers anymore that I work with.  I used to have one about 20 years ago.  He custom made our wedding rings and I had a couple of pendants made that I designed.  But he been retired for a long time now and the only thing I can find locally are the chain stores.

I'm estimated about 3g of gold.  I have an idea in my head but until I get it carved, well...  we'll see.  lol

The $300-800 price, did that include them making the wax or your providing the wax?
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:34:37 pm »

You might be better off looking into Delft clay and making it yourself. Some good video's on UTUBE to give your food for thought. Check Rio Grande for material kit. Search 705136

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Talia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:39:00 pm »

Last time I had something cast for me, it was a pendant whose final weight in sterling was 14grams. I sent a completely finished, polished wax with the sprues already where I wanted them. All they had to do was invest it and cast it, then clip it from the button. No finishing, no mold making, pretty much about 15 minutes work for them total.

I was charged $268...for sterling. Talk about robbery! For that, by the time you cast four things yourself, you can set yourself up with a small kiln and a centrifuge.
Report Spam   Logged
kjsspot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:49:06 pm »

Tis a frustrating thing.  lol 

Delft doesn't allow for good undercuts like I like.  My whole deal is that I like sculpting and want to migrate that into wearable art as opposed to just a flat-ish textured deal.  A big problem with doing it at home is my home insurance won't allow for more than a Butane torch.
Report Spam   Logged

dickb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »

Well that pretty much means that you need to do lost wax casting and Centrifugal casting. The equipment cost a little more but it's not prohibitively  expensive. And, if you do more than a few castings you can recoup your costs.

As far as casting in my home, I would never do that. Outside only! Last time I checked they didn't insure my back yard........yet. HA HA   As far as doing the casting, it's not any more dangerous than frying a turkey and I never seen any insurance that prohibited that, or BBQ'in.

Dickb

Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »

In light of all you said, I suggest making one casting out of base metal, then adding any finishing touches to that. Then using that to make multiple waxes, touch them up and only then casting in gold.  Are you supplying the gold? And how big?  Once you get one you like, then destroy the duplicates. Figure your final weight, then double that in cost for the metal, plus a fair fee for the expended materials to make the casting, and artists time. Not going to be cheap, that's for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum