Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 17, 2022, 09:31:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Leather vs Felt?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leather vs Felt?  (Read 745 times)
peruano

Central New Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 06:47:53 am »

I believe one guiding light is the polish being used.
Cerium oxide is used with lots of water - felt holds that water better than leather.
Cromium oxide is used as a paste, and while used damp, the water is not as abundant and leather works best. 
And of course, it would be better if you did not mix polishes on a single pad if you can devise a way to swap discs or the pads on them.  tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Zoologist turned to Rocks
lopacki

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 09:25:46 am »

Danny / lopacki, is that motor you're using from a PDQ Gem Drill ? How does the Dremel speed control work with it ?  I have both the PDQ drill, and their little 3" saw. I need a good speed control for them. The old sewing machine foot control that came with them gets hot on the foot after a few minutes of use.

Don,
That is similar to the PDQ motor, this set up is the first I had for wood polishing as I needed to be able to control the speed of the motor I tried plugging it into the Dremel control which worked fine the only problem the motor being 1/15th HP it would slow down as soon as you started to polish.

After making a move about 14years ago when I set up a carving bench in the house so I could play with fire agate while I had no shop. I purchased a Foredom bench lathe and found that I should have bought one of these little jewels many years before I did. If I were you and you have the funds buy a Foredom K3340 bench lathe kit, it comes with pretty much all you need to be in business. If I have time later today I will go out to the studio and take an image of my set up with a wood wheel mounted.

All my best .......... Danny

* k3340.jpg (101.04 KB, 600x368 - viewed 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 09:43:06 am »

Thanks for the Info Danny. I've started a museum of sorts, of small vintage lapidary machines. I seldom use any of them, but want them all in working condition if possible. Gonna be bidding on another small machine later today. If I win it, I'll restore it to working condition and put it on the shelf along with the other machines.

Don
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum