Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 31, 2020, 11:41:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register  

Second opalite and unknown material

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second opalite and unknown material  (Read 382 times)
asianfire

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:42:32 am »

Its been a while,
Keeping so busy with new projects that old ones are not getting finished. The dragons are still begging to finish.  :D  :D  :D
Plus a funeral (father in Law) also kept me from the machines for a while.
So the month has gone by rather quickly.

Both projects in the work right now are WIP, and need a proper polish.
First up Opalite, the second half of the floral arrangement.
We are holding a small challenge on human form on a carving page, so that is a good excuse to go back to one of my favorite experiments.  :D  :D

I quite like the material. What I dont like is the name Opalite. If one googles that name, nothing but the manmade stuff comes up. Is there another name out there for this material that would have a better ring to it?

Second up is an unknown material. Thought of it as Howlite, but howlite does not have that many dendrites. Its not opal, or dendrite opal from turkey, I'm sure of that, but cuts quite like turquoise and in parts has the feel of talk.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:47:01 am »

Again, I'm amazed.................. yes
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:48:37 am »

Very kool. 

I have seen dendritic opalite on this board and i think i even have a piece somewhere.  It does look like it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is.  George had some of that stuff and i remember him cabbing it and posting the pics here.  Search on opalite or dendrites on this forum and see if you can find it and then compare it to what you have.  I am looking for a job again and haven't the time to spend but a minute here, otherwise i would look.  By the way, there are many forms of opalite or many different stones called opalite.  My favorites are the dendritic white stuff with clear windows from Turkey you mentioned and the clear to green and orange and red variety from Australia.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:11 am »

Thanks for the info. I think opal is harder than parts of the unknown material (It feels harder to me). I have some of the stuff from turkey, so I'm pretty sure it is not the same.

Just got a hint, and found a very good picture to compare to when goggling Magnetite. There is one picture, with hardly any dendrites, but other than that matches textures and various colours seen in my piece. 

Have not seen green in the opalite, but some areas of orange red is in the other half of that slab
Report Spam   Logged

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »

Wow, that first one is not just great artistry, it is amazingly artful use of the variation in the stone.  It is like you can see what will be inside before you grind down to it.  I am in awe.
Report Spam   Logged
Windenzee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:00 am »

Love these carvings. Wish I was as good.
Report Spam   Logged

Karen
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 08:22:35 am »

Its amazing to be able to take a stone (or other material) and carve a 3-D image out of it.  Its masterful when you can also utilize the various colors and textures of the stone and work them into the applicable areas of the carving.  You have to be very "visually or artistically" oriented to arrange the piece so that the colors/textures fit into the carving design.  Kurt, you are doing a beautiful job on a really complexly colored piece of stone.  I have no concept of doing something like this.  I'm an engineer, not an artist.  My wife could do it, she can visualize anything in her head.  When she explains something to me and i try to picture it, i come up blank and she can't understand why i can't see (visualize) what she is describing.  Kurt, you got the talent and continue to get better and better.  What is the biggest carving you have done?

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:20 am »

Have not been back here in a while.  bricks

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback.

What is the biggest carving you have done? Mark

I have to admit that a lot of the co lour-placement is pure luck.
The bra as example here was not planed at all, it just came into position as I went along.
Yes, when I start, I do try to use the visible colours, but as so often, as soon as you start cutting the colour changes and any planing is out the window. 3D comes easier than engraving to me. Its not something that I can really visualize ahead of time, but my relative slow process of doing things (sanding on the go), allows me more time with any piece, and ideas of changes and proportions often come overnight. I still cant draw, or follow instructions.  chuckle

Monkey see, monkey do....... Show me something, and somehow my hands will get close....... saved2

Ohh yeah, nearly forgot: My biggest pieces to-date are close to 3 inches. I try to stay under two though.
Report Spam   Logged

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:24:43 am »

Love these carvings. Wish I was as good.

Karen: You are, just needs practice and not getting bogged down by a single outcome. Things break, or one takes off just a little too much material, but those are the time when learning/experimenting really kicks in.
Report Spam   Logged

slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:32 pm »

I bought a large amount of the stuff from four different Australian vendors on our last trio to Quartzsite and Tuscon.  In discussing the different variations, I got around to asking some of them about the names.  Turns out they use opalite, comman opal, and potch interchangeably.   Since technically opalite is only used for man made material, I like to avoid it completely when referring to natural material.
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »

Yeah. Me too. But neither potch nor common opal does the material justice. It's really nice to work with.
Report Spam   Logged

Allen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »

Kurt I have for the last 45 years + known the material to be called opalite.

It comes from Western Australia in a range of colours and some good solid pieces.

Your work leaves me in awe, not many have your visualisation and skill.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum