General information about the Site

This lapidary and jewelry design community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert lapidaries and jewelry designers.

Forum cabochon in the Spotlight

Bob ( bobby1 ) shared this unknown druzy

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

John shared this beautiful pair of amethyst cufflinks

Forum Jewelry Design in the Spotlight

Mick shared this beautiful Malachite Wrasse carving

Intarsias / Composites / Bead Making in the Spotlight

Kent shared this really nice Imperial Jasper pendant

Lapidary Related and Forum Member Shop Links

Brian Ababurko Silversmithing Classes / Rock Rollers Club

Dons Lapidary Arts

Idaho Rock Shop

Rare Rocks and Gems

Coyote Rainbow

Lightninghorse

Rocky Treasures

Talking Rocks

Fine Gem Designs

Idaho Rockman

Fine Woodwork and Lapidary

Darkstar Jewelry

DLC Gems

Teton Art Gallery

Art Cut Gems

Woman With A Torch

Lapidary Buy and Sell (Facebook Group)

Lapidary (Facebook Group)

Lapidary Equipment Marketplace (Facebook Group)

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 15, 2018, 04:02:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Login Register  

Refurbishing Highland Park E10

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refurbishing Highland Park E10  (Read 1131 times)
Talia

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:29 am »

Nice! I wish the saw was separate on this one, but I'm not complaining too much since it was a nearly-free machine.
Report Spam   Logged
Back

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 02:31:20 pm »

Hi All

If space is a big issue I would consider keeping the end for a flat disk set up. It was said above that it is not threaded. I am not sure if they make a magnetic set up with a collar. It is worth looking into. If so then you could change grit in a matter of seconds.

As a jeweler you probably want to cut calibrated stones. That is my speciality dunno. It is my opinion that a flat lap is very helpful in cutting them. You can adjust the surface of a flat disk "give" to the stone ect. This will allow you to change disks to the job you are doing. Flats and angles need a hard disk contours do better with a flexiable rubber backed disk.

Hope that helps.
Bless
Shawn
Report Spam   Logged
Talia

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 01:01:26 pm »

Actually, no, I am not looking to cut calibrated stones. I'm looking to make unusual shapes for custom one of a kind pieces of jewelry. I'm an old-school-style jeweler who is capable of fabricating or casting any size and shape of setting I might need. I want to cut my own stones because I'm tired of trying to find interesting, unique ones at reasonable prices.
Report Spam   Logged
Talia

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 07:22:56 pm »

So, I'm almost finished refurbishing this machine. I still need to get a new saw blade, make a new rock vise, replace a couple thumbscrews, find little brass petcocks for the water drip system, cut a piece of plexi for a splash guard on the saw, and get different spacers for the grinding wheels because the existing ones are not going to work.

Other than that, I managed to get it all disassembled with the aid of a lot of swearing, pounding, and a whole plethora of different hand tools.  I electrolytically de-rusted the arbor shaft which worked really well. I wire-brushed everything, then painted it with primer for aluminum and then painted it all. I coated the drip tray under the grinding wheels with white plasti-dip. I think what I'm actually going to end up doing is removing the saw table, and putting it on its own arbor and motor. Then fabricating up a second splash hood for a couple more wheels to put where the saw table went. Since I need more grinding wheels anyway, I think that's the setup I'd like better than having the saw mounted there.

* HP Refurb.jpg (3917.32 KB, 5312x2988 - viewed 69 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
kennyg

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 08:40:33 am »

I did exactly what you want to do with your saw I detached it and moved it to the opposite end of my 8' ft work bench it gets the oil mess and stuff away from the cabbing unit. I think you will be happy you did it.
Report Spam   Logged
Talia

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 08:49:57 am »

Good to know, thank you! It just seems so in the way and inconvenient there, when it would be so much nicer to have more grinding wheels instead. I've got a second motor I can use for the saw, so it's just a matter of making a short arbor and getting a couple pillow blocks for it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum | Buy traffic for your forum/website